News Tomorrowland love

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Seems like they are: See Imagination, The Land, SSE, TT, Energy. All are dead or married to their sponsor in terms of update cycles. All I am saying is that small upstarts like Eastern could get back in the game quicker with a sponsorship like this. That said, they just ordered 10 737NGs, my guess is their reserves are empty

Not at all. Airlines do not pay for airplanes when they order them [former airline employee here], so they could have money for a sponsorship, if that is something their management team would have an interest in doing and their bank accounts could afford.

Cmdr_Crimson

Anything would be an improvement over the current [typical Disney these days] bland-as-a-Saltine-cracker map-of-Tomorrowland audio would be an improvement. Of course, IMHO the ride audio has gotten steadily worse since the ORAC-1 days. And although the previous iteration did grow on me and I do like it, it does not compare with "Your Commuter Computer".

I found the Pete Reneday narration to be the most creative and it fit the idea of the Blue Line Metroliner theme..

Monoblanco13

Not sure if this is new or not, but on Saturday I rode people mover , and this misbehaving child has his phone flashlight on(I totally yelled at him. He had no ride etiquette ). After he finally shut it off, I could see this glass(we were in the Space Mountain tunnel) that you could look through and see the interior of spaceSpace Mountain! Comets, track, everything! I have been on the People Mover so many times, so I'm pretty sure this is new, but I'm not sure.
Actually not new, and my understanding is that you used to be able to see more of it from the People Mover. It's nice to see the effects showing through.

Cmdr_Crimson

Not sure if this is new or not, but on Saturday I rode people mover , and this misbehaving child has his phone flashlight on(I totally yelled at him. He had no ride etiquette ). After he finally shut it off, I could see this glass(we were in the Space Mountain tunnel) that you could look through and see the interior of spaceSpace Mountain! Comets, track, everything! I have been on the People Mover so many times, so I'm pretty sure this is new, but I'm not sure.
Actually not new, and my understanding is that you used to be able to see more of it from the People Mover. It's nice to see the effects showing through.

Prior to the 2009 refurb of Space Mountain you could look down into the loading area of the Omega side of the ride...Then when they added the wall...It became a unconfortable bit of dark silence....Check it out at 4:50 mark on this video to see what it use to look like...

willtravel

Prior to the 2009 refurb of Space Mountain you could look down into the loading area of the Omega side of the ride...Then when they added the wall...It became a unconfortable bit of dark silence....Check it out at 4:50 mark on this video to see what it use to look like...

I do so enjoy this ride both day and night riding. Simplistic but good way to sit back, relax and see the park. Same with the train.

WEDwaydatamover

Buried20kLeague- you stated that if they were to widen the vehicles there wouldn't be enough track space to accommodate Alpha and Omega.

WDW's Space Mountain originally ran side-by-side seating in the same rocket configurations on the same tracks as today.

I didn't believe it either. It's true. I've seen photos and read interviews with George McGinnis. Side by side seating was at Walt Disney Worlds Space Mountain at one time.

matt9112

The problem is this is basically not possible.

If you move to wider trains, there's not enough room in the building for the Alpha and Omega tracks in the same layout because the track would have to be twice(ish) as wide as they are currently and that adds up in various places where track is currently close together as well as along the edge of the building.

And if they went to wider trains and kept one track the same layout (just jumbo sized for the larger track and trains), far too much of the building would be unused. I would also consider that a quite disappointing result if they decided to go the full re-build direction.

I would say that it's a safe bet that a full gut and re-build of SM would mean a single track with multiple load positions as with Disneyland and Tokyo. I have no evidence of that, but common sense would say the bobsled config would be history. A more standard seating configuration would mean a more standard track from Arrow or Vekoma (I forget which has done the SM's in the past) too.

The benefit WDW would have over those two is space in the dome. I would assume far lass turns the same direction and more variation in elements. No loop.

Yeah I do agree mostly. Your right the best approach overall would be one larger coaster. Use block brakes to keep old capacity (plus larger trains) and seperate load and unload. Arrow dynamics is no longer a company and vekomas are rough imo a classic B&M is my choice lol

Biff215

I would be very interested in knowing if there's any chance of the previous TTA narration coming back or an updated version featuring Pete Reneday because of SGE leaving.
Wishful thinking perhaps, but why would they go back? I imagine they can shut off the SGE audio fairly easily. It will just be a quieter ride going by there, as well as down below.

Goofyernmost

Buried20kLeague- you stated that if they were to widen the vehicles there wouldn't be enough track space to accommodate Alpha and Omega.

WDW's Space Mountain originally ran side-by-side seating in the same rocket configurations on the same tracks as today.

I didn't believe it either. It's true. I've seen photos and read interviews with George McGinnis. Side by side seating was at Walt Disney Worlds Space Mountain at one time.
I'm not saying it's not possible, but, I frankly do not remember Space Mountain every having side by side seating at WDW. I never rode it until the 80's but, at that time it was single file and the person in front of you was basically sitting between your legs as I recall. Later they got the sleds that allowed still single file seating but independent locations. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but, that is how I remember it. Since I wasn't all that impressed with SM, I only rode it once or twice as I recall. Just not a fan!

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Right now there is no January refurb for splash just a one day refurb in December.

It isn't unusual for Splash to go down for a longer rehab annually. I just started seeing the January rehabs pop up this week for other attractions. Kali usually goes down too and haven't seen that pop yet.

Rob562

MK's Space has never had side-by-side seating. Rather it had bench seating where two people could straddle a bench one behind the other in a single seat. (For each seat, visualize how two people ride in a single Astro Orbiter rocket) This was an almost exact copy of the bobsleds from the Matterhorn.

Each train had four seats for a maximum of 8 passengers per train. The problem was that so many people were asking for their own seat that they were only getting 4 or 5 passengers per train. With the change to individual, but still in-line, seating they were able to consistently group guests and get 6 people per train.

Edit: Note there's 4 people sitting in-line in the first car in the promo pic from the 70's
wdw_space_mountain_old_seats.jpg

-Rob

Last edited:

Rteetz

It isn't unusual for Splash to go down for a longer rehab annually. I just started seeing the January rehabs pop up this week for other attractions. Kali usually goes down too and haven't seen that pop yet.
Splash does usually goes down in January I'm just pointing out that right now only a one day refurb is scheduled in December. This year we may not see that longer January refurb for splash.

Cmdr_Crimson

MK-75 Never Had Side By Side...It was always Toboggan style trains as RCA Was the Sponsor from 1975 to 1993
Space_Mountain.jpg

DL-77 Had side by side seats.....
countdown_1977_500.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom