This is terrible! (Thread orginally posted 9/11/2001)

Fievel

RunDisney Addict
I'm always amazed that I didn't post more in this thread. Back then we had an active chat room that was always jumping with somebody in it. I think I spent the better part of the day, after the Target I was working in at the time closed. We all just watched the news all day and mourned a dark day together. We really cemented as family that day. It was and continues to be an honor that I spent that day on here amongst some truly great people......

.....it also make me miss Tramp something greatly.....

prberk

I'm always amazed that I didn't post more in this thread. Back then we had an active chat room that was always jumping with somebody in it. I think I spent the better part of the day, after the Target I was working in at the time closed. We all just watched the news all day and mourned a dark day together. We really cemented as family that day. It was and continues to be an honor that I spent that day on here amongst some truly great people......

.....it also make me miss Tramp something greatly.....

@wdwmagic I just want to call your attention to this. He is not the only one who feels this way. Thanks, Steve, for keeping this thread, and for providing this forum that has become a community for so many, and was especially so around 9/11/01 and its anniversaries. I also remember your changing the banners/design of the site one year (I think on the first anniversary, or it might have been on the actual days following the event) to have a waving U.S. flag and patriotic theme. To come from a British citizen, it meant a lot.

Thanks again, Steve.

mightyduck

How is it 15 years? I can still feel the terror in the pit of my stomach, hear the scramble of those jets overhead. This archived thread is such an important artifact of the day, and I don't know how many there are of these, but it's invaluable. As I do every year, I read through the thread from the beginning before posting this. I don't have the 9/11 memorial service on. It's too painful for me. I can't continue to inflict psychic wounds on myself. I reminded students on Friday that we all grieve differently and we are not ones to judge another's grief.

Two things have happened this year worth sharing with everyone here: first, there are a number of books published about 9/11 for young people this year. THE MEMORY OF THINGS by Gae Polisner is amazing. I had the chance to read it in April and talk with the author about it. I shared this thread with her--the only person I know outside of these forums who even know of my participation here, except my husband. We both understand each other more for having shared this. I would urge you to share the books with young people you know. I know many people think they are too young to understand, but these books are done sensitively and not sensationally. Our young people live in this post-9/11 world every day. We should share with them what it was like for those who experienced it, how it changed us. If you watched STRANGER THINGS on Netflix, you know they had to set it in 80s--the 90s were about increased anxieties and the life children lived in the 70s and 80s are incomprehensible today. The need to be able to reach everyone all the time comes from that anxiety of 9/11, that terror of not knowing. I used to disappear for four or five hours on my bike as a kid, and my parents assumed I was safe and would be home for lunch or dinner. That world is gone. If you are interested, the NY Times did a write up on the books here: http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/10/books/9-11-novels-for-young-readers.html

The second thing, and this is directed to those who were here with me that day, is that I published a peer-reviewed journal article this year about how to build empathy using memorials. It has not been officially announced, but the journal it appeared in has awarded it the best writing of the year. I combined my love of American studies with what students need now. The 9/11 memorial is included in the article. Please know that every one of you, including and perhaps especially the big dog, were in my heart and mind as a wrote it. I noticed today for the first time that I joined these forums on July 4 that year. On September 11, we became a family.

Please know my heart is with all my WDWMagic family today. Much love to you all.

Nemo14

I wasn't a member here that day, but the first time I read this thread, four years after that awful day, I cried my heart out, and I still read it through every year. It still gives me chills, and I admire so much those of you who shared such raw emotion with each other that day. I miss Rich too - his old posts still make me smile.

Goofyernmost

I remember it so well, I was at work, getting ready to take a short vacation with my family to Wells Beach, Maine. Sort of a family party time. I was leaving to meet up with them the next day. My oldest Daughter was coming up from Conn. where she and her family were spending time with her in-laws. One of the plans that they had was to take the train into NYC and visit the twin towers on 9/11. She awakened with a really bad headache and they decided instead to do something local in Conn. for the day. It took me all day long to finally contact them. They were someplace where they hadn't heard what was going on and this was before we all had cell phones. A day of worry, but, it came out OK, I finally was able to reach her and we all met in a day or two in Wells Beach. It was a very quiet beach the rest of that week.

Today as I am reading through this thread I got a call from my other daughter telling me that her mother, my X wife of 29 years, was looking real bad and that they didn't expect her to make it though the day. I'm still waiting to hear from that. We officially divorced about 2 months before 9/11/2001, but, she had been my wife and I had been her husband for almost half of my present life. She is the mother of my children and although a very unhappy, depressed person very much of her life, down deep was a very good person. Mental illness took her away from all of us. It has made today even more emotionally charged. From what I have been able to tell, she is currently heavily sedated and resting comfortably, but, I have to admit to being a whole lot sad about both this anniversary and her fate. It's hard to tell which one of the 9/11's I will remember the most.

betty rose

I remember it so well, I was at work, getting ready to take a short vacation with my family to Wells Beach, Maine. Sort of a family party time. I was leaving to meet up with them the next day. My oldest Daughter was coming up from Conn. where she and her family were spending time with her in-laws. One of the plans that they had was to take the train into NYC and visit the twin towers on 9/11. She awakened with a really bad headache and they decided instead to do something local in Conn. for the day. It took me all day long to finally contact them. They were someplace where they hadn't heard what was going on and this was before we all had cell phones. A day of worry, but, it came out OK, I finally was able to reach her and we all met in a day or two in Wells Beach. It was a very quiet beach the rest of that week.

Today as I am reading through this thread I got a call from my other daughter telling me that her mother, my X wife of 29 years, was looking real bad and that they didn't expect her to make it though the day. I'm still waiting to hear from that. We officially divorced about 2 months before 9/11/2001, but, she had been my wife and I had been her husband for almost half of my present life. She is the mother of my children and although a very unhappy, depressed person very much of her life, down deep was a very good person. Mental illness took her away from all of us. It has made today even more emotionally charged. From what I have been able to tell, she is currently heavily sedated and resting comfortably, but, I have to admit to being a whole lot sad about both this anniversary and her fate. It's hard to tell which one of the 9/11's I will remember the most.
I'm so sorry. I hope peace for you.

Goofyernmost

I'm so sorry. I hope peace for you.
Thanks Bets.. I went and saw her today. She is still hanging in there, but, it broke my heart to see the condition that she is in. I hadn't seen her for months... at her earlier request, and today was really kick your legs out from under you day for me.

steviej

I live in North NJ, about 10 minutes from NYC. I was in my first week of high school. I can remember where I was in the school, who I was talking to when the principal came over the PA system to announce the "accident". My dad had a client in the WTC, so I called him to make sure he wasn't there. He wasn't.

And just like all of you, I watched the horror unfold more and more.

But then my mom picked me up from school early. She just wanted to be near me, and I was fine with it. By then, both towers had collapsed.

She took me on a highway not far from our house that had a view of the entire NYC skyline, especially downtown Manhattan (where the twin towers were).

And I can still see the entire skyline covered in smoke, it truly looked like a horror movie.

I live less than 5 minutes from Teterboro Airport. It's a private airport, and it's known locally for being where JFK JR took off from on the tragic flight that took his life.

For days afterwards, the military was guarding it, and I remember looking in the sky that week and seeing nothing but stars and F-16's.

I was blessed enough not to lose anyone I know on that terrible day, but I still get so passionate about 9/11 and I feel guilty for it. I feel like I don't have the right to since I didn't lose anyone I knew.

But I feel like a lot of my innocence was taken from me that day. I'd never even heard of the word terrorist before 9/11.

But with it being so close to home, I will never forget it, and I will never stop praying for those. I just can't imagine.

As far as the people in the Middle East celebrating that day goes, it felt good when it was our turn when they killed Bin Laden! And that was exactly what happened. People were in the streets here, yelling, cheering, chanting "USA"

Here's to hoping Bin Laden burns for eternity. "God bless America, my home sweet home!"

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
I've read through this entire thread more than a couple of times over the years. I really can't believe I've never posted in it before.

What's incredible to me (aside from the solidarity of WDWMagic members, then and now) is that the tragic event of 9/11 is still claiming victims. It wasn't satisfied with the nearly 3,000 lives it took that day, but continues to affect the heroes who selflessly turned up to help, not just on the day but in the many, many days after.

My brother was an NYPD sergeant at the time, and in the aftermath of the tragedy, was assigned to the morgue that was hastily set up at Chelsea Piers. He'd been "on the job" for 15 years at that point, and he kept much of his work to himself, but there were two kinds of "work stories" he would share with family--the funny ones, which came easily, and the really heavy ones, because he had to get them out of his system for his own good. So, way long before the media ever hinted at it, my family knew that they weren't recovering bodies from Ground Zero, but body parts. His job was to catalog every piece of humanity that was retrieved from the WTC site. I remember him telling us about having to detail in his ledger things like an ear that had an earring fastened to it; he had to describe the earring in detail in case a family member would recognize it. I also recall gorier details that I will not share with you; he had to talk about them, because keeping them to himself would have been unhealthy. His assignment was at that morgue for quite some time. I'm willing to bet that he probably wore gloves while working, and I'm also willing to bet that he wasn't made to wear a mask (because the EPA declared that he didn't have to). Eventually, he returned to his regular post at Yankee Stadium, and after the new stadium was built in 2009, he transferred to transit until he retired on July 31, 2012 after 26 years as a policeman.

In July 2014, he was diagnosed with lung cancer, which is recognized by NYPD as a "9/11 related cancer" (how awful is it that they even have such a classification?). He died on July 28, 2015, and tragically was buried on the 3rd anniversary of his retirement date.

The NYPD medical board has recently declared that his death was in the line of duty, which is some solace to his surviving parents and only sibling. It seems that a hallmark of "9/11 related cancer" is the speed with which it takes these brave people. Most lung cancer patients get 3-5 years. 9/11 cancer patients get one year, at best.

My friends here on WDWMagic supported me through the entire ordeal, and I am so very grateful for this wonderful community, and the fact that we continue to remember the events of that day, even after all these years. :inlove:

Last edited:

MinnieM123

Premium Member
I've read through this entire thread more than a couple of times over the years. I really can't believe I've never posted in it before.

What's incredible to me (aside from the solidarity of WDWMagic members, then and now) is that the tragic event of 9/11 is still claiming victims. It wasn't satisfied with the nearly 3,000 lives it took that day, but continues to affect the heroes who selflessly turned up to help, not just on the day but in the many, many days after.

My brother was an NYPD sergeant at the time, and in the aftermath of the tragedy, was assigned to the morgue that was hastily set up at Chelsea Piers. He'd been "on the job" for 15 years at that point, and he kept much of his work to himself, but there were two kinds of "work stories" he would share with family--the funny ones, which came easily, and the really heavy ones, because he had to get them out of his system for his own good. So, way long before the media ever hinted at it, my family knew that they weren't recovering bodies from Ground Zero, but body parts. His job was to catalog every piece of humanity that was retrieved from the WTC site. I remember him telling us about having to detail in his book things like an ear that had an earring fastened to it; he had to describe the earring in detail in case a family member would recognize it. I also recall gorier details that I will not share with you; he had to talk about them, because keeping them to himself would have been unhealthy. His detail was at that morgue for quite some time. I'm willing to bet that he probably wore gloves while working, and I'm also willing to bet that he wasn't made to wear a mask (because the EPA declared that he didn't have to). Eventually, he returned to his regular post at Yankee Stadium, and after the new stadium was built in 2009, he transferred to transit until he retired on July 31, 2012 after 26 years as a policeman.

In July 2014, he was diagnosed with lung cancer, which is recognized by NYPD as a "9/11 related cancer" (how awful is it that they even have such a classification?). He died on July 28, 2015, and tragically was buried on the 3rd anniversary of his retirement date.

The NYPD medical board has recently declared that his death was in the line of duty, which is some solace to his surviving parents and only sibling. It seems that a hallmark of "9/11 related cancer" is the speed with which it takes these brave people. Most lung cancer patients get 3-5 years. 9/11 cancer patients get one year, at best.

My friends here on WDWMagic supported me through the entire ordeal, and I am so very grateful for this wonderful community, and the fact that we continue to remember the events of that day, even after all these years. :inlove:

May I extend my sympathy to you and your family.

Nemo14

My brother was an NYPD sergeant at the time, and in the aftermath of the tragedy, was assigned to the morgue that was hastily set up at Chelsea Piers. He'd been "on the job" for 15 years at that point, and he kept much of his work to himself, but there were two kinds of "work stories" he would share with family--the funny ones, which came easily, and the really heavy ones, because he had to get them out of his system for his own good. So, way long before the media ever hinted at it, my family knew that they weren't recovering bodies from Ground Zero, but body parts. His job was to catalog every piece of humanity that was retrieved from the WTC site. I remember him telling us about having to detail in his book things like an ear that had an earring fastened to it; he had to describe the earring in detail in case a family member would recognize it. I also recall gorier details that I will not share with you; he had to talk about them, because keeping them to himself would have been unhealthy. His detail was at that morgue for quite some time. I'm willing to bet that he probably wore gloves while working, and I'm also willing to bet that he wasn't made to wear a mask (because the EPA declared that he didn't have to). Eventually, he returned to his regular post at Yankee Stadium, and after the new stadium was built in 2009, he transferred to transit until he retired on July 31, 2012 after 26 years as a policeman.

((HUG))

prberk

Thanks Bets.. I went and saw her today. She is still hanging in there, but, it broke my heart to see the condition that she is in. I hadn't seen her for months... at her earlier request, and today was really kick your legs out from under you day for me.

Prayers for her and for you and the whole family. Thanks for sharing this with us.

As for this thread, I too am thankful for it and the community here it demonstrates. Thanks, @wdwmagic .

prberk

Thanks for sharing this story on this thread. I cannot agree more with your last paragraph also. Prayers for you also.

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
May I extend my sympathy to you and your family.

Thanks for sharing this story on this thread. I cannot agree more with your last paragraph also. Prayers for you also.

Thank you all.

I read in the NY Daily News that it is expected that by 2020 the number of first responders killed by 9/11 related illnesses will surpass the number of people who died on 9/11/2001.
http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york...usands-9-11-related-illness-article-1.2783450

mightyduck

Thank you all.

I read in the NY Daily News that it is expected that by 2020 the number of first responders killed by 9/11 related illnesses will surpass the number of people who died on 9/11/2001.
http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york...usands-9-11-related-illness-article-1.2783450
Sadly, this does not surprise me. We all watched that smoking debris and common sense said it was toxic and dangerous, but the government didn't want to admit that they had a giant hazmat site and spend the $ required to keep everyone safe. Stomach turning. I've watched the news regularly for 15 years now as we see the number of first responders dwindle and those still here continue the fight in their names.

I'm so sorry for your loss and for the suffering your brother had to endure. My hope is that we learn from this and pressure our leaders to protect our first responders better.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom