Another generation: Magic Kingdom (my way)

DisneyManOne

Hey, my friend, I just recently came upon something that might interest you.

http://passport2dreams.blogspot.com/2015/05/song-of-south-disneys-loaded-gun.html

In this article, the author cites that the original 1989 Splash Mountain had very close ties to Song of the South, but when the ride opened in MK in 1992, they got rid to most of the ties to the film.

With that said, maybe we could have MK's Splash Mountain be closer to Disneyland's?

DlpPhantom

Hey, my friend, I just recently came upon something that might interest you.

http://passport2dreams.blogspot.com/2015/05/song-of-south-disneys-loaded-gun.html

In this article, the author cites that the original 1989 Splash Mountain had very close ties to Song of the South, but when the ride opened in MK in 1992, they got rid to most of the ties to the film.

With that said, maybe we could have MK's Splash Mountain be closer to Disneyland's?
I have been to both and the Mk one is far superior in my opinion. Neither really have much in common with song of the south and I think that's a good thing. The movie isn't really accepted today and I think the farther the ride is from the movie the better. Sorry for the rant.

mharrington

Original Poster
With the rumors of a Mickey-themed ride replacing the Great Movie Ride, I decided to do a rethink of some of the content in Mickey-themed area at the Magic Kingdom. Until further notice, there will no longer be a Mickey dark ride in this area. Instead, what used to be Goofy's Roller Derby will now be home to that long-thought-of Goofy dark ride, which will be called "Goofy About Vacations". It will based slightly on the aborted ride "Goofy About Road Trips":
th

The ride is a dark ride, basically like Radiator Springs Racers without the high speed aspect; that is to say, basically the dark ride aspect of the ride (but about the same time length as the entirety of the Racers). I will get to some of the ideas for the ride later, but for right now, I want to get a few other things out of the way.

First, I think I will call the area Mickeytown after all. It's relatively simple, and besides, the Main Street-type area at Shanghai is called Mickey Avenue. I think the best way to describe the look of the land is what would happen if Toontown and Celebration merged, with elements of Mickey Avenue thrown in (certainly in terms of obscure character references): http://themeparkuniversity.com/disn...-highlight-mickey-avenue-shanghai-disneyland/.

Also, with the removal of the Mickey-themed ride, which has become the Goofy-themed ride, which will have displaced the replica of Rollickin' Roadsters, there seems to be a shorter attraction list, I decided to compensate for that with another ride, themed to Pluto. I'm thinking maybe something like Pluto's Dog Bowls. It's basically the Mad Tea Party, but functions like Francis' Ladybug Boogie: the vehicles spin by themselves on a predetermined figure-8 pattern. The main difference is that it is double the size and relatively faster (but not too fast, hopefully).

I was thinking of Pluto's Tail Spin, which would function like the Slinky Dog Spin, but on a giant Pluto, but I'm not really sure if that seems doable. It may be too confusing to people who had just seen Pluto in a meet-n-greet, only to see him again as this giant spinner thing. It may be too off-putting. And besides, the Slinky Dog ride works because everyone is supposedly toy-sized there.

To hide this area from Frontierland and Liberty Square, Mickeytown will be obscured by rockwork and trees. I had considered putting this over by Fantasyland, but there's really not much room over there, and besides, if Disneyland is doing a Star Wars land far from Tomorrowland, I guess anything is possible.

What do you think?

spacemt354

Chili's
With the rumors of a Mickey-themed ride replacing the Great Movie Ride, I decided to do a rethink of some of the content in Mickey-themed area at the Magic Kingdom. Until further notice, there will no longer be a Mickey dark ride in this area. Instead, what used to be Goofy's Roller Derby will now be home to that long-thought-of Goofy dark ride, which will be called "Goofy About Vacations". It will based slightly on the aborted ride "Goofy About Road Trips":
th

The ride is a dark ride, basically like Radiator Springs Racers without the high speed aspect; that is to say, basically the dark ride aspect of the ride (but about the same time length as the entirety of the Racers). I will get to some of the ideas for the ride later, but for right now, I want to get a few other things out of the way.

First, I think I will call the area Mickeytown after all. It's relatively simple, and besides, the Main Street-type area at Shanghai is called Mickey Avenue. I think the best way to describe the look of the land is what would happen if Toontown and Celebration merged, with elements of Mickey Avenue thrown in (certainly in terms of obscure character references): http://themeparkuniversity.com/disn...-highlight-mickey-avenue-shanghai-disneyland/.

Also, with the removal of the Mickey-themed ride, which has become the Goofy-themed ride, which will have displaced the replica of Rollickin' Roadsters, there seems to be a shorter attraction list, I decided to compensate for that with another ride, themed to Pluto. I'm thinking maybe something like Pluto's Dog Bowls. It's basically the Mad Tea Party, but functions like Francis' Ladybug Boogie: the vehicles spin by themselves on a predetermined figure-8 pattern. The main difference is that it is double the size and relatively faster (but not too fast, hopefully).

I was thinking of Pluto's Tail Spin, which would function like the Slinky Dog Spin, but on a giant Pluto, but I'm not really sure if that seems doable. It may be too confusing to people who had just seen Pluto in a meet-n-greet, only to see him again as this giant spinner thing. It may be too off-putting. And besides, the Slinky Dog ride works because everyone is supposedly toy-sized there.

To hide this area from Frontierland and Liberty Square, Mickeytown will be obscured by rockwork and trees. I had considered putting this over by Fantasyland, but there's really not much room over there, and besides, if Disneyland is doing a Star Wars land far from Tomorrowland, I guess anything is possible.

What do you think?
Nice work, mharrington!

Keyblade Jedi

th

What do you think?

Looks Good.

mharrington

Original Poster
Here's some more information on Goofy About Vacations. Similar to how Goofy's Sky School was based loosely on "Goofy's Glider", this is based on more than that: this old videotape compilation of Goofy cartoons (six in all) called "Sport Goofy's Vacation". The description of the tape reads as follows:

Sport Goofy takes a break from his busy athletic activities to spend some leisurely moments on vacation -- but that doesn't necessarily mean he'll stay out of trouble! Here's an uproarious collection of six cartoons that star the bumbling hero in countless mishaps and misadventures as he hits the vacation trail! Includes these classic titles:
  • Two Weeks Vacation (1952)
  • Father's Lion (1952)
  • Foul Hunting (1947)
  • How To Fish (1942)
  • Tiger Trouble (1945)
  • Aquamania (1961)
So that gives you an idea of the concept. The ride is a dark ride, basically like Radiator Springs Racers without the high speed aspect; that is to say, basically the dark ride aspect of the ride (but about the same time length as the entirety of the Racers, about four minutes or so). The ride vehicles, themed to cars prepped for vacation, seat six.

For this, I am using the basic wording from the aborted Herbie the Love Bug ride created for, but never built in, Disneyland (as seen in Sam Gennaway's "The Disneyland Story"):

The queue wends through Goofy's house and you go out to the unseen garage near the back, where the ride vehicles load and unload (and where Goofy provides the safety spiel). The ride would begin as Goofy drives out of town for his trip, but accidentally run into at least one or two cars. You then pass by Goofy as he hums "On the Open Road", while holding his map on in front of his face, blocking his view of the road, causing other cars, including yours to swerve around him. And in a scene out of Mr. Toad's Wild Ride and, for that matter, Radiator Springs Racers, you almost run into an oncoming train, but swerve aside in the nick of time.

From there, it's basically one vacation-themed gag after another. At one point, the ride vehicles have run-ins with wild animals, including a mountain lion (resembling the one from "Father's Lion") and a bear (based on the one from "Hold That Pose"), both of whom have trapped Goofy in a tree during camping. At another point, the vehicles get splashed by water as Goofy, who is out fishing in a boat, uses a net to catch a fish, only for it to try to escape through the net and thus drag Goofy around in the boat. It is based on "Goofy and Wilbur" (and even Wilbur himself is spotted very inconspicuously on the boat), and resembles panel 4 of a promotional ad for it:
f8821c064537cb34bc17a55a516ab378.jpg

At still another point, Goofy is playing golf, as in "How To Play Golf", but hits a ball so hard that it hits a bull in a pasture nearby, arousing its fury and chasing off Goofy. It would be based on the tractor-tipping scene and subsequent escape from Frank in RSR.

These just a few of the scenes thought of for Goofy About Vacations at Mickeytown in WDW's Magic Kingdom. But we need to somehow bring it to a conclusion somehow. It can be gag after gag, but it has to come to a climax somehow and subsequent close.

Any ideas?

Keyblade Jedi

Here's some more information on Goofy About Vacations. Similar to how Goofy's Sky School was based loosely on "Goofy's Glider", this is based on more than that: this old videotape compilation of Goofy cartoons (six in all) called "Sport Goofy's Vacation". The description of the tape reads as follows:

Sport Goofy takes a break from his busy athletic activities to spend some leisurely moments on vacation -- but that doesn't necessarily mean he'll stay out of trouble! Here's an uproarious collection of six cartoons that star the bumbling hero in countless mishaps and misadventures as he hits the vacation trail! Includes these classic titles:
  • Father's Lion (1952)
  • Foul Hunting (1947)
  • How To Fish (1942)
  • Tiger Trouble (1945)
  • Aquamania (1961)
So that gives you an idea of the concept. The ride is a dark ride, basically like Radiator Springs Racers without the high speed aspect; that is to say, basically the dark ride aspect of the ride (but about the same time length as the entirety of the Racers, about four minutes or so). The ride vehicles, themed to cars prepped for vacation, seat six.

For this, I am using the basic wording from the aborted Herbie the Love Bug ride created for, but never built in, Disneyland (as seen in Sam Gennaway's "The Disneyland Story"):

The queue wends through Goofy's house and you go out to the unseen garage near the back, where the ride vehicles load and unload (and where Goofy provides the safety spiel). The ride would begin as Goofy drives out of town for his trip, but accidentally run into at least one or two cars. You then pass by Goofy as he hums "On the Open Road", while holding his map on in front of his face, blocking his view of the road, causing other cars, including yours to swerve around him. And in a scene out of Mr. Toad's Wild Ride and, for that matter, Radiator Springs Racers, you almost run into an oncoming train, but swerve aside in the nick of time.

From there, it's basically one vacation-themed gag after another. At one point, the ride vehicles have run-ins with wild animals, including a mountain lion (resembling the one from "Father's Lion") and a bear (based on the one from "Hold That Pose"), both of whom have trapped Goofy in a tree during camping. At another point, the vehicles get splashed by water as Goofy, who is out fishing in a boat, uses a net to catch a fish, only for it to try to escape through the net and thus drag Goofy around in the boat. It is based on "Goofy and Wilbur" (and even Wilbur himself is spotted very inconspicuously on the boat), and resembles panel 4 of a promotional ad for it:

At still another point, Goofy is playing golf, as in "How To Play Golf", but hits a ball so hard that it hits a bull in a pasture nearby, arousing its fury and chasing off Goofy. It would be based on the tractor-tipping scene and subsequent escape from Frank in RSR.

These just a few of the scenes thought of for Goofy About Vacations at Mickeytown in WDW's Magic Kingdom. But we need to somehow bring it to a conclusion somehow. It can be gag after gag, but it has to come to a climax somehow and subsequent close.

Any ideas?

On Halloween, How about Goofy as a Ghost (Like in Mickey's Christmas Carole and Mickey Mouse Works "How to Haunt a House")? You Know Scaring Up Some Fun to Guests. And Christmas, It Should Called Goofy about Christmas Vacations.

mharrington

Original Poster
On Halloween, How about Goofy as a Ghost (Like in Mickey's Christmas Carole and Mickey Mouse Works "How to Haunt a House")? You Know Scaring Up Some Fun to Guests. And Christmas, It Should Called Goofy about Christmas Vacations.

I'm not even really done with the regular version just yet. Can you please provide me with some ideas for a climax to the ride and how we get back to Goofy's home? Because, of course, that's where the ride begins.

And no, there won't be any holiday overlays. Maybe a few decorations here and there in the queue, but not a whole different ride.

Keyblade Jedi

I'm not even really done with the regular version just yet. Can you please provide me with some ideas for a climax to the ride and how we get back to Goofy's home? Because, of course, that's where the ride begins.

And no, there won't be any holiday overlays. Maybe a few decorations here and there in the queue, but not a whole different ride.

Sure, But Only Christmas Decoration in Some Areas.

mharrington

Original Poster
Another idea I had was a parody of the Rainbow Caverns from the old Mine Train ride. Here, you go through a cavern full of colorful pools and waterfalls and then proceed into darkness where Goofy takes a selfie, but the flash arouses bats that chase him and your car out of the cave.

How about Hello Aloha?

I'm not sure about that. It culminates in Goofy being thrown into a volcano, and it's set on an island besides.

The only thing I can think of for a climax is a different beach scene, where Goofy does some surfing, as in "Hawaiian Holiday", but the wave literally throws him off and he is thrown through the air, somehow to ultimately land back in his neighborhood, where he returns home full of vacation memories.

Magic Feather

• Father's Lion (1952)
  • Foul Hunting (1947)
  • How To Fish (1942)
  • Tiger Trouble (1945)
  • Aquamania (1961)

Any ideas?

A climax idea that I thought of is you swing Goofy's car bein to go up a mountain and then dangle precariously on a cliff above guests heads. As we enter the next room, we see a crashed car with a "dizzy" goofy with pepper's ghost birds flying around his head before he sinks into the car. Then a narrator of chimes in to say, and now you you know how to vacation the goofy way!

mharrington

Original Poster
A climax idea that I thought of is you swing Goofy's car bein to go up a mountain and then dangle precariously on a cliff above guests heads. As we enter the next room, we see a crashed car with a "dizzy" goofy with pepper's ghost birds flying around his head before he sinks into the car. Then a narrator of chimes in to say, and now you you know how to vacation the goofy way!

Good idea, but we should somehow include a surfing scene as well somewhere. And we should also end with Goofy returning home somehow, since you begin and end the ride in his garage.

mharrington

Original Poster
Maybe his car could crash into his house for the ending.

Maybe so.

Anyway, now we have several segments to make up this ride. They need to be put in some kind of order, however (with the exception of the opening (and the second scene) and closing, of course)
  1. Opening: Goofy driving out of town (bumping into at least two cars)
  2. Goofy on the road (holding map, swerving between cars and crossing train tracks)
  3. Fishing (fish causes boat to spin around)
  4. Camping (run-in with mountain lion)
  5. Photographing animals (eagle, bear)
  6. Golfing (run-in with bull)
  7. Mountain
  8. Caverns (run-in with bats)
  9. Surfing
  10. Closing: Back home
The question is, how can it be organized so that we can have the surfing gag and that mountain gag that @Magic Feather suggested?

mharrington

Original Poster
I'm thinking of abandoning the mountain segment suggested by @Magic Feather and instead going with a gag involving a surfing wave that somehow lands Goofy and you on roller coaster tracks (a la "Aquamania") for a wild finale. It's not a real roller coaster, however. It only goes as fast as the escape from Frank in Radiator Springs Racers.

mharrington

Original Poster
Well, seeing as how no one seems interested in my ideas, I guess I will have to answer my own question myself:

Here's the basic rundown of scenes from "Goofy About Road Trips":
  1. Opening: Goofy leaves, accidentally hitting two cars as he does
  2. Goofy on the road
  3. Fishing
  4. Camping
  5. Photographing animals
  6. Golfing
  7. Surfing
  8. Climax on roller coaster (a la "Aquamania")
  9. Closing: Goofy back home
And there you have it. But I really don't know how to connect the scenes so they flow naturally, however. Can someone please help me?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom