PizzeRizzo announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios - Was: Rumor: Pizza Planet/Mama Melrose closing?

Princess Leia

I've never been in Mama Melrose's, but how large is it? I'm just wondering how much space they would potentially have if they turned it into a second Muppets restaurant (with Muppet AAs or performers).

Herbie

I've never been in Mama Melrose's, but how large is it? I'm just wondering how much space they would potentially have if they turned it into a second Muppets restaurant (with Muppet AAs or performers).

I've been in there but I'm not sure what they can do.
Pizza Planet was originally Swedish Chef's Video Cooking School, which featured video screens & Muppet servers, I believe, while Mama Melrose's was going to be the more simple (I assume) Great Gonzo's Pandemonium Pizza Parlor. Odd how they switched that up for this renovation.

Princess Leia

I've been in there but I'm not sure what they can do.
Pizza Planet was originally Swedish Chef's Video Cooking School, which featured video screens & Muppet servers, I believe, while Mama Melrose's was going to be the more simple (I assume) Great Gonzo's Pandemonium Pizza Parlor. Odd how they switched that up for this renovation.
mama-melrose-ristorante-italiano-gallery00.jpg

mama-melrose-ristorante-italiano-gallery02.jpg

I feel like there's definitely space to do something. Idk if it would be restaurant or another attraction (I'd like a combination of the two), but I'm sure someone could figure something out.

MrPromey

If they convert Mama Melrose's into another Muppet themed restaurant, I want 'live' entertainment from the Electric Mayhem or Rowlf. If they could make it work in Rizzo's, I'd be happy with that too.
I agree that would be cool... but putting on my bean counter hat, which I imagine looks something like this, I can't possibly imagine them doing this. It goes directly against everything they're after.

This would be an unneeded cost for initial setup and continued operation and would give guests an incentive to linger in the restaurant longer, reducing the hourly capacity of the location. Given this, it's unlikely to impact guest's decision to stay on property for meals rather than leave the "World" in numbers high enough to justify the cost.

They already charge pretty much what they want for food so they're not likely to be able to pull a profit from a decision like this by edging up prices on food, either.

I agree from a guest perspective, it would create an awesome experience but it's honestly surprised me that the lounge act at Cosmic Ray's has stuck around as long as it has given the nightmare that seating options become there during typical meal times.

Those of you old enough to remember the superior show at Showbiz Pizza vs. Chuck E. Cheese's in the 80's (which itself was considerably more elaborate than what Chuck E. Cheese's offers today) may wonder what happened with that and the answer was, people were spending too much time watching the "free" show rather than spending money on games and other amusements while there.

Disney could make meals more fun but they really just want you to give them your money and get out of the restaurant so they can take more people's money unless it's a premium dining experience... and then that's still what they want but at the prices they are charging, they have to act like it isn't. Either way, if they can't significantly up-charge for it or attach Fastpass+ to it, I don't see them doing it in this day and age. All they are competing with is you leaving their property for your meal so they don't have to try very hard since that is more inconvenient and time consuming than ever thanks to heightened security at the gates (important even if just for the sense of safety in the mind of guests but still something that works against re-entry plans the same way it does at airports).

I'd really love to be wrong, but it seems like the current management is all about taking away the special extras that don't add to the bottom line rather than adding them. :(

Last edited:

HauntedMansionFLA

Disney really needs to enhance this area if they are going to keep it here. Love the Muppets. Love Star Wars. The Muppets area will be getting a surge of visitors once SWL opens. It would be nice if they get things in order before the opening of SWL and TSL. It has a lot of potential and it can be geared toward the whole family. Invest in the area :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom