Survivor: Millennials vs. Gen X

RMichael21

Original Poster
Hey everyone! So, I noticed that we don't have a thread for the next season of Survivor yet (something we usually have by June, if I'm correct), so here's the thread for Survivor: Millennials vs. Gen X!

So, feel free to discuss! I'll tag some people who may be interested in this thread:
@IDInstitute @PUSH @Flippin'Flounder @NYwdwfan @JenniferS @SAV

I'll be posting the individual cast interviews soon! :D I'm definitely pumped for this season!

RMichael21

Original Poster
Hey everyone! So, I noticed that we don't have a thread for the next season of Survivor yet (something we usually have by June, if I'm correct), so here's the thread for Survivor: Millennials vs. Gen X!

So, feel free to discuss! I'll tag some people who may be interested in this thread:

I'll be posting the individual cast interviews soon! :D I'm definitely pumped for this season!

Also, I forgot to tag @TheOriginalTiki ;)

PUSH

I watched all the cast videos the other day, and here are some of my takeaways...

1. The cast doesn't seem to have many people who jump out right off the bat. There are a few people who look like good characters if they can stick around long enough. Of course, it's hard to tell from these videos, but overall most people seemed to be rather dull.

2. My early favorite is Figgy. She seems like she has the social game, along with a sense of strategy. She says she can do well physically, but everyone says that. I made a comparison to her and Parvati, in the sense that she seems to have what it takes to be conniving and manipulative, but have others look past you because of your flirtatiousness and social game. If she can make it to the merge, I'd be very excited to see what she has in store.

3. Hannah looks to be this season's Shirin. While I think she could be a good player, her quirkiness could drive people off the wall. If she makes it to the merge, I'd be surprised, but if she does she could fly under the radar.

4. Sunday and Michelle are candidates for the first boot IMO. Unless they can get in a majority alliance fast, I don't think they have what it takes to make it through the first part of the game.

5. I think Mari could be a player to watch, too. She seems to have the willpower to get anything done, and that's something you see in all the good Survivor castaways.

6. Overall, the cast seems to be a bit bland, and I'm not a huge fan of the theme either. I hope this turns out better than I believe, but my expectations are not all that high for this season. But even a slower season is fun to watch. I'm still excited for the season!

Also, keep in mind that none of these pre-assessments have any merit. I'm basing them off 2 minute videos. I also picked Vytas to win Second Chance, and look how that turned out.

NYwdwfan

Awesome. Less than a month to go! Thanks for the tag!

RMichael21

Original Poster
I watched all the cast videos the other day, and here are some of my takeaways...

1. The cast doesn't seem to have many people who jump out right off the bat. There are a few people who look like good characters if they can stick around long enough. Of course, it's hard to tell from these videos, but overall most people seemed to be rather dull.

2. My early favorite is Figgy. She seems like she has the social game, along with a sense of strategy. She says she can do well physically, but everyone says that. I made a comparison to her and Parvati, in the sense that she seems to have what it takes to be conniving and manipulative, but have others look past you because of your flirtatiousness and social game. If she can make it to the merge, I'd be very excited to see what she has in store.

3. Hannah looks to be this season's Shirin. While I think she could be a good player, her quirkiness could drive people off the wall. If she makes it to the merge, I'd be surprised, but if she does she could fly under the radar.

4. Sunday and Michelle are candidates for the first boot IMO. Unless they can get in a majority alliance fast, I don't think they have what it takes to make it through the first part of the game.

5. I think Mari could be a player to watch, too. She seems to have the willpower to get anything done, and that's something you see in all the good Survivor castaways.

6. Overall, the cast seems to be a bit bland, and I'm not a huge fan of the theme either. I hope this turns out better than I believe, but my expectations are not all that high for this season. But even a slower season is fun to watch. I'm still excited for the season!

Also, keep in mind that none of these pre-assessments have any merit. I'm basing them off 2 minute videos. I also picked Vytas to win Second Chance, and look how that turned out.
I'd have to say that I agree with most of these assessments. I'm not the biggest fan of the theme, but it's nice to see more people in the older crowd rather than just the typical one or two that are (most of the time) quick boots. I think (and hope) it'll be a cool dynamic that's similar to Second Chance where older players play one way and the younger ones play another.

PUSH

I'd have to say that I agree with most of these assessments. I'm not the biggest fan of the theme, but it's nice to see more people in the older crowd rather than just the typical one or two that are (most of the time) quick boots. I think (and hope) it'll be a cool dynamic that's similar to Second Chance where older players play one way and the younger ones play another.
I just get taken back to Nicaragua. You could make a case for that being the worst season in Survivor history. It also probably doesn't help that all the hype is for season 34 already, whereas I've heard no hype for 33.

RMichael21

Original Poster
I just get taken back to Nicaragua. You could make a case for that being the worst season in Survivor history. It also probably doesn't help that all the hype is for season 34 already, whereas I've heard no hype for 33.
I actually haven't seen Nicaragua, I started watching Season 27, so not too long ago. I've been meaning to go back and watch previous seasons, but I've never had the time (or commitment) :p;).

RMichael21

Original Poster
Also, to add on, I don't keep up with Survivor news in between seasons.. What's all of the hype about for Season 34?

PUSH

I actually haven't seen Nicaragua, I started watching Season 27, so not too long ago. I've been meaning to go back and watch previous seasons, but I've never had the time (or commitment) :p;).
I started watching in season 26, but I've since gone back and watched every season. It was a lot of fun. And it's so much better knowing the history and who everyone is talking about when they say Parvati and Boston Rob, etc. Plus, it really makes you appreciate the string of good winners we've had since season 26.

PUSH

Also, to add on, I don't keep up with Survivor news in between seasons.. What's all of the hype about for Season 34?
I'll put it in a spoiler, because there is a major giveaway if you want to be surprised. Nothing in terms of how the game unfolds, but the cast itself.

Season 34 will feature returning players, including some of the legends of the game.

RMichael21

Original Poster
I started watching in season 26, but I've since gone back and watched every season. It was a lot of fun. And it's so much better knowing the history and who everyone is talking about when they say Parvati and Boston Rob, etc. Plus, it really makes you appreciate the string of good winners we've had since season 26.
Yeah, I know quite a bit about these players, as I've watched tons of clips on Youtube throughout the various seasons. There's tons of clips of Heroes vs. Villains, Samoa, etc.
I'll put it in a spoiler, because there is a major giveaway if you want to be surprised. Nothing in terms of how the game unfolds, but the cast itself.

Season 34 will feature returning players, including some of the legends of the game.
Interesting, should be a really good season if it's got as much hype surrounding it as you're saying.

PUSH

Yeah, I know quite a bit about these players, as I've watched tons of clips on Youtube throughout the various seasons. There's tons of clips of Heroes vs. Villains, Samoa, etc.

Interesting, should be a really good season if it's got as much hype surrounding it as you're saying.
Heroes vs Villains is one of the all-time great seasons. It's in my top 3 along with Micronesia and Cagayan. Cagayan is the season that really made me fall in love with Survivor. Samoa was okay. If Russell wasn't in it, it would have been a bore. Although it did give us one of my favorite female contestants ever, Laura Morett.

DinoInstitute

image.png

They actually returned from Fiji not too long ago. There's some...um...interesting choices in there :p

The theme is supposedly "Game Changers", but I mean it seems like kind of a stretch with Fan Favorite Sierra Dawn-Thomas in there :p

RMichael21

Original Poster
David:

Chris:

Paul:

Michelle:

Mari:

Will:

Hannah:

Rachel:

Taylor:

Figgy:

Michaela:

Sunday:

Ken:

Zeke:

Bret:

Cece:

Lucy:

Adam:

Jay:

Jessica:

Going back through these, there's a few standouts. Disclaimer, these are just impressions, we should have a better idea of who these people are and how they hold their own in the game by the first few episodes.

NOT AFRAID TO MAKE MOVES: I'd say Mari, David, Figgy and Chris seem like the kind of people who wouldn't be afraid of making big moves, with the potential to all be big "Villains" or strong "Heroes". But, I could be completely wrong, we have to wait and see who fills this category.

DULL: Ken, Lucy, Bret, Rachel, Michaela, Will and Michelle all seem kind of dull. Bolded are the ones I'm especially not impressed by, the other two are just meh.

LIKABLE:When it comes to likability, Adam, Sunday and Mari (again) stand out.

ANNOYING OR FUNNY: Zeke and Hannah all seem interesting and quirky. Similar to Shirin, they could be hilarious some of the time or downright annoying.

QUESTIONABLE: Everyone else that I didn't mention (Paul, Taylor and Jay) they really didn't give enough of their personality to get as good of a impression

RMichael21

Original Poster
View attachment 156921

They actually returned from Fiji not too long ago. There's some...um...interesting choices in there :p

The theme is supposedly "Game Changers", but I mean it seems like kind of a stretch with Fan Favorite Sierra Dawn-Thomas in there :p
Now THAT is going to be interesting.

I REALLY wish Kelly Wentworth was in that bunch. She was by far my favorite in Second Chance.

PUSH

View attachment 156921

I heard they were trying to do a Winners vs Jury vs Early Boots type of season, but then had last-minute changes and had to figure something else out. Sierra and Hali are questionable, but everyone else I can see why they brought back. But at the time of Micronesia, Parvati was a dud, too, but showed what she can really do. Kelley Wentworth was a dud in her first season as well, then came back with a strong second showing. My guess is these two are players the casting department think didn't have a chance to shine the first time around.

As for the rest, I'm so over the Ozzy hype. He was fun in Cook Islands, but quickly became someone I dislike in Micronesia. He plays the victim. He is arrogant because of his physical dominance, but really lacks in the social and strategic components. I'm excited for Aubry again. Cirie at first I was not looking forward to, but she is really one of the best to ever play. She was a near two-time winner had she gone to the end in Panama, and had it been a final 3 in Micronesia. I've been a big critic of Sandra's game, but I also acknowledge her strategy is to play an under-the-radar game. I'm a fan of Malcolm, and I think he could be a favorite to win. Tony will be interesting to watch on a second season, but I'd imagine he'll be a quick target. Andrea is also a favorite of mine, and I could see her winning. Everyone else is just kind of there.

And that became a lot more analysis than I intended. :p

RMichael21

Original Poster
I heard they were trying to do a Winners vs Jury vs Early Boots type of season, but then had last-minute changes and had to figure something else out. Sierra and Hali are questionable, but everyone else I can see why they brought back. But at the time of Micronesia, Parvati was a dud, too, but showed what she can really do. Kelley Wentworth was a dud in her first season as well, then came back with a strong second showing. My guess is these two are players the casting department think didn't have a chance to shine the first time around.

As for the rest, I'm so over the Ozzy hype. He was fun in Cook Islands, but quickly became someone I dislike in Micronesia. He plays the victim. He is arrogant because of his physical dominance, but really lacks in the social and strategic components. I'm excited for Aubry again. Cirie at first I was not looking forward to, but she is really one of the best to ever play. She was a near two-time winner had she gone to the end in Panama, and had it been a final 3 in Micronesia. I've been a big critic of Sandra's game, but I also acknowledge her strategy is to play an under-the-radar game. I'm a fan of Malcolm, and I think he could be a favorite to win. Tony will be interesting to watch on a second season, but I'd imagine he'll be a quick target. Andrea is also a favorite of mine, and I could see her winning. Everyone else is just kind of there.

And that became a lot more analysis than I intended. :p
Completely agree with all of these points
(at least for the people that I know from seasons that I've watched or clips on Youtube)

While we're talking about past seasons, I figure'd that I might as well rank all of the seasons that I've watched.

1. Survivor: Cagyan - Brains vs. Brawn vs. Beauty
2. Survivor: Cambodia - Second Chance
3. Survivor: Kaôh Rong
4. Survivor: Blood vs. Water
5. Survivor: Worlds Apart
6. Survivor: San Juan Del Sur - Blood vs. Water II

The past two seasons have definitely been VERY entertaining to watch (much better than seasons 29 and 30 IMO), so I'm hoping that Season 33 can be up there at least between Kaôh Rong and Blood vs. Water, if not higher. If the hype is truly meaningful for 34, I'm hoping it could at least surpass Second Chance (or maybe even Cagyan) in my rankings.

PUSH

Completely agree with all of these points
(at least for the people that I know from seasons that I've watched or clips on Youtube)

While we're talking about past seasons, I figure'd that I might as well rank all of the seasons that I've watched.

1. Survivor: Cagyan - Brains vs. Brawn vs. Beauty
2. Survivor: Cambodia - Second Chance
3. Survivor: Kaôh Rong
4. Survivor: Blood vs. Water
5. Survivor: Worlds Apart
6. Survivor: San Juan Del Sur - Blood vs. Water II

The past two seasons have definitely been VERY entertaining to watch (much better than seasons 29 and 30 IMO), so I'm hoping that Season 33 can be up there at least between Kaôh Rong and Blood vs. Water, if not higher. If the hype is truly meaningful for 34, I'm hoping it could at least surpass Second Chance (or maybe even Cagyan) in my rankings.
I loved Second Chance, too. It probably is my 4th favorite season. It was so different than how any other season of Survivor has been played. The voting blocks was definitely a change of pace. I also didn't realize how special the first Blood vs Water was, because it was only the second season I had seen. However, I've rewatched Caramoan, Blood vs Water and Cagayan, and only the second time around did I realize how different than season was. It had some fantastic moments, and is definitely an above average season. I haven't done a ranking of the seasons, partially because a lot of them are hard to remember, but here are mine from 27-32.

1. Cagayan
2. Cambodia
3. Blood vs Water
4. Kaoh Rong
5. San Juan del Sur
6. Worlds Apart

I don't really remember San Juan del Sur that much, but I remember Natalie being an awesome player, and a much deserving winner. I want her to come back, because I think she has the ability to be one of the legends of the show. She just has the "it" factor for Survivor. Worlds Apart I liked at first, but since then I've soured on it. The season really focused around non-game matters with Will and Dan making sexist comments, and Shirin being bullied. I'm not that huge on Mike, and it says something when Carolyn was my favorite player of the season. I still love her, but she's not memorable. It was a weak post-merge cast. Joe is overrated in my eyes, and I think Shirin could have been a stellar player had she not felt bullied. I think she was also overwhelmed by her first season. Had she and Spencer been in a majority in Second Chances, I think she would have played a good game. I also liked Jenn, but her pretty much "quitting" put a blemish on her otherwise decent game.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom