News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

SpaceMountain77

While a maelstrom refresh with an extended track and new show scenes is what we all wanted and would have been a crowd pleaser i you can't deny that by slapping Frozen on the attraction and having anna and elsa show up elsewhere in the pavilion it hasn't tripled the crowds to Norway and most importantly increased demand for supplemental revenue generators Akershus Royal Banquet Hall which has seen demand go through the roof! From a business standpoint this is a win-win especially since Norway refuses to foot the bill for the pavilion like back in the day.

When I was little, because of the advertisements and cast members, I regularly begged my parents to book a Norwegian Cruise Line vacation for me and my family. The pavilion's early sponsorship did have an affect on conversations within our household :)

Captain Neo

Maybe, but, were they appealing to todays kids and teenagers? They are exposed to many, many more things then we were or, in my case, even my children. The world isn't stagnant.

The whole point of Disney's stuff is that it is timeless. For example kids today are still watching Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs and it still holds up well to this day. Same thing with attractions like Pirates of the Caribbean and Big Thunder Mountain Railroad. Walt's whole point was that the world was ever changing and Disney's products should have broad generational appeal and not be tied to the sensibilities of the day (Something that Pixar and Modern Disney films suffer from as do modern Disney attractions).

Tomorrowland 1967 and the original Epcot Center had they been left alone would still be relevant today with just minor tweaks here and there (updated last segment of Carousel of Progress, Standard Pavillion refreshes, etc.). Stuff like Innoventions and Mission Space was dated the day they opened.

mimitchi33

Other sites are now reporting that the Universe of Energy pavilion will be razed. :(
I guess for that new Guardians of the Galaxy attraction? I wonder when it is closing...
@marni1971 , when Epcot celebrates its 50th anniversary, aside from The American Adventure, would you anticipate any other original or early attractions remaining?
I think only Spaceship Earth will remain by then. It's their flagship attraction, and I don't see that going anywhere.
Tweet says it's near Character Spot in Innoventions.
We did have a lady ask if she could get a photo when we were leaving the Joy and Sadness meet and greet last trip, so I guess this is right.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Maybe, but, were they appealing to todays kids and teenagers? They are exposed to many, many more things then we were or, in my case, even my children. The world isn't stagnant.

Maybe I am wrong, but I don't think the basic principles of good theme park design will ever become obsolete. The IP's will change, but the basic design principles shouldn't.

Ralphlaw

Tomorrowland 1967 and the original Epcot Center had they been left alone would still be relevant today with just minor tweaks here and there (updated last segment of Carousel of Progress, Standard Pavillion refreshes, etc.). Stuff like Innoventions and Mission Space was dated the day they opened.

Mission Space had huge buzz when it first opened, and was not dated. The continuing problem is that (1) You don't feel the need to ride it more than once: and (2) People died on it. My son who was about 7 when the green version opened, and loved it. We rode it multiple times, but only rarely ride the orange version. Now we maybe ride it once per trip.

People don't want to risk sickness on vacation, which was the 1st problem with it. The second problem was that people died. The third is that it's pretty cool the first time through, but the novelty quickly dies off once you know the whole scenario. What they need is different scenarios ala Star Tours. We now ride Star Tours over and over because you never know which version you're going to get. If Mission Space ended up in Mars or Jupiter or Saturn, it would be fun to ride it over and over. Instead, it's just the exact same trip to Mars every time.

I didn't get to Epcot in the 80's, but from what people tell me, Innoventions was pretty cool in its day. It was apparently like a Science Museum of today, with lots of hands-on stuff. This was back in the day when Museums were places to just walk around and look at stuff, not somewhere that allowed you to explore places, press buttons and pull levers. Innoventions allowed visitors to do much more than that, which was actually a cutting edge concept that forced other such places to catch up. Now, every successful museum geared toward families has plenty of places for kids to do hands-on things.

I also think Tomorrowland needed more than tweaks. Remember, Space Mountain didn't exist on opening day. Their biggest mistake was Stitch, and their drive to mediocrity is best illustrated by the wimpy, commercialized, vanilla, pointless, obtuse, unimaginative and just plain bland narration of the People Mover. It used to be a clever and fun narration with a strong-voiced commander contrasted against a smooth female voice announcing things about Tom Morrow and giving your party from Saturn a ring. Fun. Now it's Mr. WimpyVoice saying everything is "Out of this World". Writing the new narration probably took a good 10 minutes in a beige windowless room. Instead of an Imagineer, they used a Blandineer.

Again, safe decisions that Walt never would have made.

Last edited:

Goofyernmost

Maybe I am wrong, but I don't think the basic principles of good theme park design will ever become obsolete. The IP's will change, but the basic design principles shouldn't.
Sure, but, basic principles can be applied to new and different IP's. Many just dismiss it outright because it isn't what we are used to seeing for IP's in the parks. They can be good, sometimes all we have to do is lighten up on the reject all change button and give it a chance.

CaptainAmerica

Disney used to be able to appeal to kids and teenagers while still maintaining thematic integrity.
Disney isn't the problem. The problem is the kids and teenagers. When I was a kid, I could listen to something like Golden Dream or Energy (You Make the World Go 'Round) and I'd consider it triumphant and inspiring. Play one of those songs for a kid now and he'd probably say something like "cringe" and turn back to his iPad.

Matt_Black

Disney isn't the problem. The problem is the kids and teenagers. When I was a kid, I could listen to something like Golden Dream or Energy (You Make the World Go 'Round) and I'd consider it triumphant and inspiring. Play one of those songs for a kid now and he'd probably say something like "cringe" and turn back to his iPad.

I have hope for the children of today. Not long ago, I saw some kids playing. One said, "Hey, we should watch Goonies." The other responded with an enthusiastic "HEY YOU GUUUUYYYYS!"

Ralphlaw

Someone died on Expedition Everest, too. Hasn't hurt that any.

True, but Everest has/had more upside, and few people worry about getting sick on it. Given the amount of overhaul and maintenance needed on Everest, one has to wonder how much upside will continue. But that's the subject of so many other threads.

Edward M

Disney World's new direction leaves Epcot sort of lost in the crossfire. In the eyes of Disney, a ride about the future is a stupid decision since the present is always becoming the future. In 5 years, a high budget educational futuristic ride will be outdated. An IP Future World/World Showcase just makes more sense I guess. IPs age very slowly compared to technology. Frozen may not be as big as it was in 2014 in 2024, but it will always be a pretty popular Disney movie. Right now, Epcot is already looking very aged. Once AK/HS are fixed, it will be VERY aged. I don't really support a GotG ride at Epcot, like at all. I think Inside Out edutainment ride would make a lot more sense for both Epcot and money. I would even be cool with a Ratatouille ride in France. However, I can see the point of a GotG ride. It would be popular with people. I love Epcot, but people don't want to spend $100 just to go to a place with a few old rides and a big, well themed shopping center. Epcot really needs something, but I don't know what that is.

PalisadesPkteer

Not at all. There could be something new that would do the same. Without Iger and Chapeks IP shoehorning cross promotion.
**Heavy Sigh, EPCOT Center we miss you***You are correct as always Martin. Any idea as to when UoE gets the makeover? Was considering a trip December 8 - 13 2016. But having second thoughts. Will they wait till 2017 to start? Any more info on the Great Movie ride possible change?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
**Heavy Sigh, EPCOT Center we miss you***You are correct as always Martin. Any idea as to when UoE gets the makeover? Was considering a trip December 8 - 13 2016. But having second thoughts. Will they wait till 2017 to start? Any more info on the Great Movie ride possible change?
I think you'll be safe for Energy, though this time next year could be a different story for both.

hpyhnt 1000

This especially. Tower of Terror doesn't need The Twilight Zone overlay to be successful. People love ToT because it a darn good attraction - one of the best in the world. And with Everest, Big Thunder Mountain, or Haunted Mansion, all are very popular and successful attractions without IP overlays. That's what good theme park design does.

Hopefully whatever comes to Epcot is designed in a similar manner. Unfortunately, current management is wedded to the idea of movie IPs in the theme parks and we just have to accept that. But a solid attraction should be able to stand on it's own even if you strip away the IP. And hopefully any UoE replacement is designed in a way that the theme is not integral to the attraction and can be easily switched out at a later date (if necessary).

More broadly, is there any chance that the fairly lengthy timeline for all these changes might work to "our" advantage? A lot of this stuff is years down the road, and come 2018, there's going to be a change in management at the top with Iger stepping down. I would assume that whoever replaces him is going to want to put their own people and vision in place. If Epcot changes are the next big item, that would be a prime way for a new leader to "leave their mark" right away so to speak. And if there is a spoken backlash against the IP-ization of Disney, that person might be tempted to try to correct that.

All wishful thinking I know, but I think it's something to consider. It seems this IP integration is really being driven by a handful of people, namely Bob Iger and his selected staff. Take them away and it could end this push for synergy. Of course it depends on the new CEO and what pushback (if any) there might be from WDI and senior resort management - and the changes could go in the wrong direction, too. But as we saw with New Fantasyland and Star Wars Land (and to a lesser degree with Toy Story Land), plans can be changed, even after approval/public announcement. So fingers crossed maybe...?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom