Rumor Stitch's Great Escape Replacement— Don’t Hold Your Breath

Pumbaa1222

I know what they mean. These are also the same people most likely to invoke Walt, the man who created the theme parks as a way to take people inside these stories. Was there anything at Disneyland that wasn't based on film or fairy tale?

Are you serious? In order of opening dates
Autotopia- 1955
Railroad-1955
Jungle Cruise-1955
Riverboat-1955
Pirate's Lair-1956
Monorail- 1959
Matterhorn- 1959
Tiki Room- 1963
Great Moments with Mr Lincoln-1965
it's a small world-1966
Pirates of the Caribbean-1967
Haunted Mansion-1969

DinoInstitute

Here's the thing about "theme."

People get caught up in a legalistic (overly concerned with technicalities) understanding of theme and ignore the fact that theme is really more about feeling than it is about rules. A good example is the sorcerer hat in Hollywood Studios. Technically, the hat is from Fantasia, a film that was made by Disney in a studio in Hollywood (technically Burbank, but same thing). Thus, you could make the argument that it absolutely belonged in a place called "Disney's Hollywood Studios." The problem with the hat is that it didn't fit in with the feel of the park even if it was technically "themed" appropriately.

Another example would be Splash Mountain. Frontierland is the home of the American old west. Splash Mountain is set in reconstruction-era Georgia. Yet I don't see people crying that Splash Mountain is an outrage that doesn't belong in Frontierland. Why? Because it feels right.

So no, there's technically nothing "tomorrow-ish" about Sugar Rush or Monsters, Inc. Laugh Floor, but I get how video games and monsters fit in with aliens and spaceships in "Tomorrowland." It doesn't feel out of place.

TL;DR...

Sorcerer hat: Fits rules, doesn't fit feel
Splash Mountain: Fits feel, doesn't fit rules
Not to go off on a BAH tangent, but I think you actually have it reversed there. As in, it doesn't really fit the rules but it fit feel. And my reasoning is actually pretty similar to yours. The park is Disney's Hollywood Studios. Being in a park about Hollywood and Disney, it could definitely feel like it makes sense to have to BAH there. Every "casual" Disney fan that I've talked to about the hat has always said something along the lines of "oh, that sucks that it's gone, I've always loved it. It made a perfect centerpiece". Which from a feel standpoint I would agree with, it exuded a feel of Disney and Hollywood movie magic.

When the hat was around, the only complaints I ever remember reading about it was about the technicalities. Either A) that it didn't make sense in a 1940's-ish Hollywood setting, or B) it blocked the view of the Chinese Theater. Both of those are little technicalities against the "rules". Btw, I by no means liked the hat :p so I'm just saying I don't know if I agree with your argument there.

But anyway, as far as the MK lands go, I would agree that rides just have to fit a feel. With those lands, they are more just all encompassing to one theme of "fantasy" or "futuristic", etc. The lands aren't really telling a story in the same way they do in other parks' lands, such as Harambe or Sunset Blvd. I'm ok with WIR in Tomorrowland, but not in Future World (same with GotG for that matter).

DinoInstitute

People physically entering the video game world is futuristic? *shrugs*

Honestly I care more about sticking to a more realistic theme in Future World than Tomorrowland. Personally though I would say they should put BH6 where MILF is. That could actually be a better fit than WIR which I'm willing to give a chance because I liked the movie and Stitch is finally leaving :happy:
In no world would I ever want this to take precedence over Stitch leaving, but I'd actually like to see Buzz get replaced by WIR. Buzz is really starting to show its age, and I think WiR would lend itself well to a shooter style ride. Every scene could be a different video game...

And I'd prefer BH6 in DHS in some sort of superhero land, but since that won't happen, it would be a nice Stitch replacement.

FigmentJedi

In no world would I ever want this to take precedence over Stitch leaving, but I'd actually like to see Buzz get replaced by WIR. Buzz is really starting to show its age, and I think WiR would lend itself well to a shooter style ride. Every scene could be a different video game...
I'd say just focus on Hero's Duty for a Buzz replacement for a consistent experience that fleshes out that particular world rather then falling into a book report trap.

Disney really needed to do more with it and Sugar Rush because the most consistent thing I hear in the fandom is people wanting to play really good fully functional versions of both games. The Unity 3D games they put on the website, Infinity Toy Box stuff, the mobile apps that have disappeared and the awful Wii tie-in game do not scratch that itch.

DinoInstitute

There is an absolute correlation between all these new rumors being leaked and the hundreds cut from WDI. All these "left field" leaks coming out within 2 weeks of the layoffs? Because of that, I'm curious how many of these are actually going to come to fruition.
-GMR/Mickey
-UOE/GotG
-Stitch/WIR
UoE/GotG has been rumored for a while and pretty heavily; as sad as it is, I don't think this is going to just be some out of left field rumor.. :(

lazyboy97o

f8d992316bbfd799652ffbcd2a1a3216.jpg

Splash Mountain doesn't fit in that aesthetic no matter how you stretch it.
The Frontier was not only American southwest.

Even more reason why science-fantasy is necessary for Tomorrowland in 2016. The land can't represent the future like 2001: A Space Odyssey did in 1968.
Having a strain of futurism wouldn't suddenly make a science-fantasy angle into some suddenly outdated attempt at serious accuracy.

Disney is ONE company. You don't get to slam parks for using ideas developed by WDAS because that's still Disney's original idea. If you want to complain about Marvel, Star Wars, or pre-merger Pixar, fine.
The connection that ties Walt Disney Animation Studios to Walt Disney Imagineering is no different than the ones that tie in Pixar, Marvel and LucasFilm. Nobody would ever say that Walt Disney Animations Studios can only make films based on existing Pixar franchises. Or only Star Wars films. The creative unit tasked with developing the theme parks has been told they may not be as creative as they desire, they can only follow the creative lead of others.

DinoInstitute

And a right location for everything.
I think this is the key point about IP usage, at least for me. I could care less about whether or not an attraction is based on an IP as long as it fits where it is. WIR in Tomorrowland is fine by me! I would only judge it based off its quality, not what it's theme is. But, on the flip side, putting it in FW would not be ok (basically my GotG stance).

RobidaFlats

This is not the first time in the last few days you've used the phrase "time will tell"... What kind of cryptic clue is this I wonder?!

:p ;)

Hmmmm... "Time". Time is Money. "will Tell". William Tell. Rossini. Barber of Seville. Bugs Bunny. GOT IT: Disney will spend money to acquire rights to Bugs Bunny and shove him into the parks somewhere that doesn't make any sense. Wow, I would have never seen that one coming, thanks for the heads up Martin :p

CaptainAmerica

There is an absolute correlation between all these new rumors being leaked and the hundreds cut from WDI. All these "left field" leaks coming out within 2 weeks of the layoffs? Because of that, I'm curious how many of these are actually going to come to fruition.
-GMR/Mickey
-UOE/GotG
-Stitch/WIR
WDW-centric fans vastly under-appreciate what Disney is coming off of in the last 5-10 years in terms of capital expenditures. DCA 2.0, Dream, Fantasy, MM+ / FP+, and Shanghai were projects of massive proportions. All of these new WDW projects still represent a "decrease" in the workload of WDI and the capital budget of TP&R overall.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom