Guardians of the Galaxy coming to Energy Pavilion at Epcot

Status
Not open for further replies.

asianway

Shoo wee. I will admit I don't know the full extent and reach of said contract, so I will definitely yield. Then how have they Guardians if they don't even have the most obscure IPs?
It is all a matter of character families. They own Avengers, Spider-Man, Fantastic Four, and X-Men plus all associated villains. Everything you mentioned is one of those.

The GotG have loose ties to Avengers which may free them from the contract. People have said their use as walk arounds, the last scene of GMR, and the movie preview proves they have the theme park rights. Im not yet convinced....

NothingRhymeswithOrange

After reading the contract again, I really cannot think of a way that Disney could pull this off without getting Universal's approval for this ride. It's such an air tight contract that it almost seems impossible to think that GOTG is some type of loophole.

MagicHappens1971

After reading the contract again, I really cannot think of a way that Disney could pull this off without getting Universal's approval for this ride. It's such an air tight contract that it almost seems impossible to think that GOTG is some type of loophole.
GOTG is definitely a loophole. I can not tell you how many times the insiders have confirmed it. GOTG had walk around characters at an event a few years ago, and they appear in the GMR. The only slight chance they would be included in the contract is when they join the Avengers in Infinity War(? - I think that's what it's called). But even then it is unlikely that Disney is blocked from using GOTG. The only thing they can't do is call it Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy.

hobovampire

It is all a matter of character families. They own Avengers, Spider-Man, Fantastic Four, and X-Men plus all associated villains. Everything you mentioned is one of those.

The GotG have loose ties to Avengers which may free them from the contract. People have said their use as walk arounds, the last scene of GMR, and the movie preview proves they have the theme park rights. Im not yet convinced....

Who owns those? And of those Inhumans is the most stand alone. Just avoid Medusa with her hair in many pies since she was once a blue moon ago an Avenger.
I'm sorry, I don't mean to be difficult, just want to know what quite is and is not permitted. Because I know what Disney owns film-wise sans this odd Fox partnership with Spooderman and every so often a mutant/Enhanced. But I don't know what theme park IP they can and cannot have. I assume Avengers since UNI has it which would mean that the loose ties means the Avengers clause doesn't quite reach?

asianway

GOTG is definitely a loophole. I can not tell you how many times the insiders have confirmed it. GOTG had walk around characters at an event a few years ago, and they appear in the GMR.
No matter what the insiders say, unless they obtained some sort of "side letter", I think they would have a clear claim to take to arbitration. The spirit of the entire contract was written to keep this type of thing from happening at some point in the future, and GotG in their current form have a LOT of connections to Hulk, Avengers, and FF.

asianway

Who owns those? And of those Inhumans is the most stand alone. Just avoid Medusa with her hair in many pies since she was once a blue moon ago an Avenger.
I'm sorry, I don't mean to be difficult, just want to know what quite is and is not permitted. Because I know what Disney owns film-wise sans this odd Fox partnership with Spooderman and every so often a mutant/Enhanced. But I don't know what theme park IP they can and cannot have. I assume Avengers since UNI has it which would mean that the loose ties means the Avengers clause doesn't quite reach?
Inhumans are FF clear and simple

NothingRhymeswithOrange

GOTG is definitely a loophole. I can not tell you how many times the insiders have confirmed it. GOTG had walk around characters at an event a few years ago, and they appear in the GMR.

The Star Lord character was a hired third party, the words “Marvel” were not used, and most importantly it was a closed, one night only party. Furthermore, the characters were not advertised to appear.

The Great Movie Ride is not a “Marvel Attraction” nor is it a representation of the Marvel brand. It is, by all intents and purposes, an “attraction that just so happens to feature a clip from Disney/Marvel Studios”. So while Disney may have the right to the Guardians of the Galaxy characters in certain uses, verbiage in the contract clearly restricts them from a larger presence

MagicHappens1971

No matter what the insiders say, unless they obtained some sort of "side letter", I think they would have a clear claim to take to arbitration. The spirit of the entire contract was written to keep this type of thing from happening at some point in the future, and GotG in their current form have a LOT of connections to Hulk, Avengers, and FF.
I've read the contract several times myself, Disney can use GOTG in WDW, they already do on a daily basis.

MagicHappens1971

There's a handful of characters Disney can use at WDW. GOTG being one of them.

hobovampire

I will sit back and read as much as I can. I simply know too little on the park licencing to be more than a silly voice. Where may I find the contract if I were to search it or is there a thread here with the link?

asianway

The Star Lord character was a hired third party, the words “Marvel” were not used, and most importantly it was a closed, one night only party. Furthermore, the characters were not advertised to appear.

The Great Movie Ride is not a “Marvel Attraction” nor is it a representation of the Marvel brand. It is, by all intents and purposes, an “attraction that just so happens to feature a clip from Disney/Marvel Studios”. So while Disney may have the right to the Guardians of the Galaxy characters in certain uses, verbiage in the contract clearly restricts them from a larger presence
They can never use "Marvel" to market no matter what. Even DL cant.

MagicHappens1971

I will sit back and read as much as I can. I simply know too little on the park licencing to be more than a silly voice. Where may I find the contract if I were to search it or is there a thread here with the link?
I'm gonna try to find the link again, but just google "Marvel universal contract" something should come up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom