Guardians of the Galaxy coming to Energy Pavilion at Epcot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bocabear

Not trying to be swarmy, but why?

GotG is about other life in the universe, and futuristic appeal, how does Frozen fit more into Norway than a futuristic space adventure fit in Future world?
but doesn't "Futuristic Space Adventure" sound exactly like the definition of Tomorrowland? and doesn't the gas driven go-carts Speedway sound like the antithesis of Tomorrowland?...

lebeau

Not trying to be swarmy, but why?

GotG is about other life in the universe, and futuristic appeal, how does Frozen fit more into Norway than a futuristic space adventure fit in Future world?

When you use "futuristic" in your description of GotG, you're kind of stacking the deck. The movie takes place in the present. A present that is populated by aliens and superheros. It's definitely not set in the real world or the future. Epcot was always the real world park and Future World was the part of that park that dealt with human achievement and the future. GotG has nothing to do with any of that. I wouldn't even call it futuristic despite the presence of spaceships and laser beams. The soundtrack alone betrays that the movie's appeal is largely nostalgic. That's fine. I enjoy a fun space adventure as much as anyone else. But it doesn't belong in Epcot.

tirian

Poor Ellen and BIll Nye. If the ride portion was faster, and the car seats not so uncomfortable, I would go on Energy every visit.
I do enjoy the Ellen movie part.
I will miss you Ellen, even if no one else does.

No one else does. ;)

(J/k. I have a soft spot for this attraction, so that makes two fans annually.)

montyz81

Shows looking less like a show and more.... exhibit and display? With the forementioned show potentially near by ?
So UoE will get a walk through exhibit? So basically, WoL and UoE will be walk through exhibits? Why not use the existing ride system in UoE and make WoL the walk through?

tirian

This is going to end up like Frozen Ever After, people thought it was going to be terrible. Then they blew us away with a moderately advanced and beautifully themed ride, finally bringing us technology from other parks around the world, but building it in the wrong location that isn't large enough to handle crowds and overall demand.

I fixed that for you.

So help me understand. GotG is going into ToT in DL and HS. It is also going into Energy and WoL in Epcot? I don't get it, Potter has one part in IoA and the other in US. It is also in US in Calif. It grossed far more then GotG and has less representation albeit very high quality representation.

Did I get that rumor right?

No to GotG in DHS. The UoE concept replaced it, so only GotG in ToT @ DCA & then in EPCOT

Phicinfan

I see this sentiment a lot and I don't really agree with it at all. The changes at DHS and Epcot aren't making it like the MK at all. MK is set up with distinct, well defined lands with attractions that by and large compliment each other. Sure, Tomorrowland is a bit of a mess, but otherwise it's quite cohesive and isn't overrun by IPs the way people seem to always suggest. The most recent change to MK with the FLE actually tightened up the theming there.

DHS is going down a path of "experience the movies" with franchise driven lands. The front of the park has retained an entertainment celebration vibe. These things are quite distinct from MK which uses more generic tropes to define the lands and individual franchises have at most small sections. If anything, a better argument would be made that the addition of Star Wars is making DL more like DHS.

Who knows what Epcot will end up as, but the more it seems like a random hodgepodge, the less it is like MK.

I'd actually be totally for another theme park that was similar in structure with MK, but with different themes for the lands. That's basically what TDS did and it compliments TDL, rather than be accused of copying it.
I am in the same boat here.

I fully understand, and agree with most, that this is the ....death of what was once an awesome idea that was EPCOT. It is sad, but it is what it is.

That being said, I also agree that what has to happen is a theme to these moves, not just plunking IPs where they fit to keep parks alive.

I agree with the above that he moves for DHS are in that forum, they are moving from how movies are made, or seeing behind the curtain, to instead joining or immersing yourself into the movie. I can't wait to see what SWE becomes and how immersive it will be.

I see the same for Avatar in DAK. The theme of the movie is based on conservation, which also is a theme for DAK, and living with the land, again, a DAK theme. It does fit.

I can only hope, that this move of placing GotG into FW is a move to make Futureworld something of maybe a move to space and life in that area? I don't know, this is all supposition on my part. But I am with those, if this ends up just plopping IP into here all over Epcot, then it is a huge mistake.

One other caveat to throw out there, for those who have and have not seen the movie. The main issue with this movie is the Infinity stone that is used in this movie, the Marvel world in this phase is all about the infinity stones(7 stones all focused on one main force) and the stone used in this movie was the "power stone" or energy stone. So there could actually be a tie in ....granted very loosely...... to energy and maybe looking at futuristic uses of power and to attain power. I can only hope.

I do however, think we have seen the end of WS, as it was designed, and I fear it will be an IP plop there as movies are successful or not...but again its just my guessing here.

Net, I get the angst in both sides. I get the loss of what was once an incredible world of EPCOT, but I have to hope this will be transitioning to a newer version that is melded into a new vision.

Only time will tell. I will say, if it WAS only to plop IP, I would have expected some type of Star Wars overlay first, the fact they chose GotG to me at least leans to some type of longer term theme....I hope.

doctornick

We get three distinctive areas in Epcot. World Showcase which is about the continents and countries of our world. Beyond the land (or something similar) which is all about those areas outside the countries and continents (the air and sea.) Finally, beyond our world were the focus is on space and what had been conjectured about how other world's may live. Mission to mars would work with that, as would GotG. The only issue is with test track but I guess if they rethemed it again to being about designing rovers instead of cars then it would still work. It would all be drawn together by space ship earth.

That's actually not bad. FW west as something like "natural wonders" and FW east as "technological marvels"

po1998

Who want's a walk-through attraction? It will be "GOTG Launch Bay II"
Thats the first thing I thought. Even with its vast popularity, Launch Bay is a bore except to the most die-hard SW fans(except for the M&G). Why would they think that a GotG walk-thru be any better?

Last edited:

RSoxNo1

You haven't been on Stitch.

I have never seen a bunch of grown men cry like this. This is pure comedy. lol
I was on Stitch 2 days after it opened and have been back enough times since. Stitch is an awful attraction but by itself it didn't put the final nail in the coffin to an entire theme park. It isn't a capacity and operational nightmare. Stitch is a weak theme and a bad attraction, that's it. Frozen looks to be a good attraction and a theme that effectively killed EPCOT Center's original concept. It makes the Guardians news hurt less because Frozen already knocked us out.

Any other suggestions?

RSoxNo1

Rocket Rods. Still suffering that blight. At least Frozen could be gone in 10 years if deemed appropriate.
I missed the part of WDW's history where they had the Rocket Rods, refresh my memory. Even still, Rocket Rods was a lazy execution and a mediocre ride. There's been plenty of that at Disney parks throughout the years.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Disney doesn't care about you on the personal level.

Don't like it? Don't buy it. I'm planing on buying passes again soon, as DHS and Epcot and AK are getting pretty awesome additions and maker overs.
You COMPLETELY missed his point. You were probly itching to defend "the brand" after you read the first two sentences without even realizing that a person like him loves and appreciates the true essence of the parks, not just cool new rides. But its good to know they have customers like you that will spend money,"soon", when the "pretty awesome additions and make overs" are finished. L.C.D. (Lowest Common Denominator)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom