A Spirited Dirty Dozen ...

the.dreamfinder

I haven't been on the ride, but at DHS it would only be the second largely screen based attraction. At Universal all of their recent additions have been largely screen based. As independent attractions that's not a problem, but as a complete experience during the day that can get redundant.

It's the IP vs. Original concept argument as well. We're just looking for variety and quality.
I'm still perplexed they went with Kong even though they knew Jurassic World was coming. Brining JP to Wizarding World standards could have added capacity, drawn guests away from Hogsmeade, and moved the needle.

Last edited:

VJ

So, you are saying they kept out a foamhead alligator that was supposed to be in the show because a real gator snatched and killed a child on their property? Is that what you are saying? ... Oh, and how's the show? (I don't see breathless threads on it, Soarin or Frozenstrom, so I'm guessing everyone just wants to pontificate endlessly over a child's death ... while ignoring the deaths of 49 others slaughtered in the same city ... 50 if you include the singer the night before!)
I liked the show. Big improvement over Dream Along. Your other points are very valid; I don't understand why Disney is nixing anything even remotely related to alligators. The Jungle Cruise joke cut is warranted to me, though.

lazyboy97o

I'm still perplexed they went with Kong even though they knew Jurassic World was coming. Brining JP to Wizarding World standards could have added capacity, drawn guests away from Hogsmeade, and moved the needle.
It also would have maintained some cohesion. Skull Island might as well be in Jurassic Park the way it is situated right on top of it.

Disneyhead'71

It also would have maintained some cohesion. Skull Island might as well be in Jurassic Park the way it is situated right on top of it.
I would put the JP arch back to have SI:RoK appear to be an attraction in "Jurassic Park". Even go as far a "park map" signs that include it as an attraction. I mean, King Kong is mentioned in Jurassic Park. And the JP gates were inspired by the ones in the Kong movies.

lazyboy97o

I would put the JP arch back to have SI:RoK appear to be an attraction in "Jurassic Park". Even go as far a "park map" signs that include it as an attraction. I mean, King Kong is mentioned in Jurassic Park. And the JP gates were inspired by the ones in the Kong movies.
That would just be worse. Tenuous connections don't create theme. They're two completely different islands in different parts of the world separated by several decades.

Last edited:

Soarin' Over Pgh

Count me amongst the fangrrl crowd, I'm giddy for Moana. The locations and scenes look spectacular.

I wonder if it does (as) well (as I'm thinking it's going to), if there's any chance we will get Moana something in a park in Florida besides meet n greet?

(Sorry, Im attempting to steer thread in a more positive light)

NearTheEars

It's show quality has absolutely been an embarrassment off and on over the last 10-15 years. I have never seen it worse than on my 2015 visits, but it looked much better last month.

As to the ride itself, it still is top-flight. But clearly it is now far behind Shanghai, Anaheim, Tokyo and Paris versions ... it is short and lacks so much of the wow factor the others all have.

Can't disagree with any of this. The last refurbishment really did wonders for show quality, but that shouldn't be how the maintenance system works.

lazyboy97o

Count me amongst the fangrrl crowd, I'm giddy for Moana. The locations and scenes look spectacular.

I wonder if it does (as) well (as I'm thinking it's going to), if there's any chance we will get Moana something in a park in Florida besides meet n greet?

(Sorry, Im attempting to steer thread in a more positive light)
Box office performance or personal enjoyment should be completely irrelevant. The measure should be if there is a compelling story best told through the medium of themed entertainment.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Here, since I know you've been waiting (I have anyway) is @WDWFigment's views on SDL after spending its first three days there:

http://www.disneytouristblog.com/shanghai-disneyland-opening-day-impressions/

Hint: they are largely positive, but there are small criticisms. Don't have time to add more and would rather discuss if Tom ever returns here (they are in HKDL now). He needs to be given some fanboi cred award as it would appear he is going to be the First Lifestyler in the History of Lifestylers (that must date back over a decade by now) to visit every Disney park in the world in a single calendar year IF he makes it to Paris (and I believe he is planning on running their half marathon in the fall). It takes a lot to be able to do that. Only one time did I make it to four of five. Now six of six is saying something ... but maybe he should have to visit Aulani, Vero Beach, Hilton Head and take at least one cruise to wear the tiara? :devilish::greedy::D

Mike S

I'm ok with Kong because it adds something new to the landscape of IoA and looks like a very fun ride to me. There is a rumor that a big refurb for JPRA could be coming that includes JW but it's not going around that much so I don't know if it's really credible. Personally I wouldn't have a problem with JW appearing in the third park with a clone of that ride from Beijing.

Donaldfan1934

I think every park is different when it comes to favorites. I'm not sure that SDMT and, moreso, Pan will be favorites in Shanghai just because they are elsewhere.
While I'm personally a fan of SDMT, I've been wondering since it opened whether or not the insane wait times at WDW mean. Is it based on a genuine love for it, an appeal due to its relative newness, or just abysmal capacity for a ride that would otherwise have a moderate wait if fully built out?

Last edited:

Cesar R M

It's what I was told this week. Sucks.
anyone knows how long until they remove it?
I want to see the 60th celebration before it becomes normal again.

Embarrassment? Really? One of many guests most beloved attractions?
I understand it's not as well-loved as the Disneyland original, but far from an embarrassment.
Well, before the refurb it was definitively an embarrassment quality wise.
From sinking boats, to the majority of the effects not working.

Last edited:

Cesar R M

Speaking of people not at the opening of SDL who were instrumental in its building ... Michael Eisner ... Jay Rasulo ... Tom Staggs ... Nick Franklin ... Mike Crawford ... just for starters.
I wonder, where they barred (banned) from attending to they would not steal Bob's spotlight?

only to be told that they had no right to even grieve for the victims unless they were a part of the LGBT community.
He was sorta right, It seems many lost the point of his comments.

I Mean, you even actually read it incorrectly if you were thinking he was saying exactly as you described..

Last edited:

rael ramone

These videos are all over. WDW Co. is going to have a very hard time saying it didn't know that gators AND IDIOT GUESTS were becoming more of a danger for all Guests. They have the makings of a very big mess/scandal that so many people knew about.

And I think that the 'Pandoras Box' get's opened if it turns out that Budget Cuts are part of the blame as well and it becomes public.

Then someone will ask 'If you had to cut guest safety, what else did you cut' - which leads to more and more reporting in real news about the aggressive cuts done to the guest experience in the face of huge price increases & upcharge events - not the kind of thing that you want prospective guests to hear. (I first saw of the Disneyland Forever fireworks cut, and that it was for budgetary reasons, from EOnline).

THEN someone asks 'What was so important that you had to hack and slash a budget that possibly lead to a guests death'. If it came out that hiding the fact from Investors that MM+ was a miserable financial failure that was signed off by 'Bobby and the Board' (sounds like a Frankie & Annette film that never got made) that efforts to sweep MM+ overages under the rug were a higher priority then guest safety...

Mike S

And I think that the 'Pandoras Box' get's opened if it turns out that Budget Cuts are part of the blame as well and it becomes public.

Then someone will ask 'If you had to cut guest safety, what else did you cut' - which leads to more and more reporting in real news about the aggressive cuts done to the guest experience in the face of huge price increases & upcharge events - not the kind of thing that you want prospective guests to hear. (I first saw of the Disneyland Forever fireworks cut, and that it was for budgetary reasons, from EOnline).

THEN someone asks 'What was so important that you had to hack and slash a budget that possibly lead to a guests death'. If it came out that hiding the fact from Investors that MM+ was a miserable financial failure that was signed off by 'Bobby and the Board' (sounds like a Frankie & Annette film that never got made) that efforts to sweep MM+ overages under the rug were a higher priority then guest safety...
Don't forget Shanghai. I hope it turns out this way. Finally make them accountable. It really sucks that both resorts needed people to die before they changed though.

Last edited:

doctornick

In a move that should surprise no one, Disney/ESPN will be buying the second half of the primary and secondary Big Ten TV rights. Previously, it was revealed that Fox was buying half of the rights and this is the rest of the package (tertiary rights already belonged to the Big Ten Network whose ownership is shared between Fox and the Big Ten conference).

ESPN is paying $190M/year for their half of the rights, far more than the $100M/yr they paid for all of the primary/secondary rights under the last contract.

This deal seems to indicate that Disney is still bullish on ESPN and willing to spend significant money for live sports content. The cuts that have been made in recent years have typically come from releasing expensive and replaceable on air personalities.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom