A Spirited Dirty Dozen ...

WDW1974

Original Poster
http://www.shanghaidaily.com/metro/...anding-sooner-rather-than-later/shdaily.shtml

This article is interesting, not sure if it was posted somewhere already. They quote 40k, which might make some sense.

Also Toy Story confirmed, as we knew (it's currently just dirt, I did some sleuthing).

Stop me before I go on - but has anyone actually been to the ecological zone - aka the second theme park site? Because if not I have a weird adventure and photos to share. There is a lot more temporary development than I expected and the second theme park site is accessible to the public.

That figure is considerably lower than what I've been told. My guess is that Disney (or Shanghai officials) downgraded the number to avoid the park having overcrowding issues.

As to your adventure, please share your tales and photos!

WDW1974

Original Poster
Here's a video of a gator in the Rivers of America very close to the connecting Splash Mountain flume, along with some geniuses feeding it popcorn (at least the woman says not to feed it anymore, but not much was done to stop it in the first place)-

There's another video that I won't post (someone added horror music and I feel that posting it would be insensitive) of a gator trying to actually climb over the barrier separating the River and the connecting Splash Mountain flume. A cast member is standing there with a pole trying to keep it from getting over. You can find it easily enough by searching youtube for "alligator splash mountain".

These videos are all over. WDW Co. is going to have a very hard time saying it didn't know that gators AND IDIOT GUESTS were becoming more of a danger for all Guests. They have the makings of a very big mess/scandal that so many people knew about.

WDW1974

Original Poster

Mickey's Royal Friendship Faire has premiered with the new looks for Mickey and Minnie, as well as an articulated Olaf. Louis is missing from the show.

So, you are saying they kept out a foamhead alligator that was supposed to be in the show because a real gator snatched and killed a child on their property? Is that what you are saying? ... Oh, and how's the show? (I don't see breathless threads on it, Soarin or Frozenstrom, so I'm guessing everyone just wants to pontificate endlessly over a child's death ... while ignoring the deaths of 49 others slaughtered in the same city ... 50 if you include the singer the night before!)

WDW1974

Original Poster
Just putting this out there..but how would people feel if Disney announced they were gutting POTC in Orlando and replaced it with version in Shanghai? Along with expansion of that area. I would personally rather have this then another stupid smoke effect that never works.

They won't. Ever. Save stuff like this for the Armchair Imagineering forum. You can also talk about Small World being moved to EPCOT there. And Mystic Manor coming to DAK. ... Oh, and ideas for that mythical fifth gate.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Will say for the today brought in the typical Florida summer storms and they were beyond strict with guest on what they could do and where we could walk. Cannot remember them ever being like that. So maybe they are getting a wake up call and things will change.

My guess is that they will do all sorts of things that appear to be aimed at solving the problem without actually facing the real issues. That is SOP at WDW.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Tom (@WDWFigment ) was there at opening, perhaps he can shed some light on this. I find it hard to believe that it's better than DisneySea but I'll defer to Tom.

I don't have to be there to know this park isn't better than TDS, even at opening. TDS is an absolute masterpiece.

On the subject of Tom, I wonder if he has any pics of gators at WDW!:devilish::greedy::D

WDW1974

Original Poster
Agreed, it feels like something is missing that HKDL has...maybe it's too different and we're not used to it yet?

I haven't been to SDL but just watching tons of footage so far. It does seem from the wide shots that there's a severe lack of trees.

Well, all you have to do is show photos of WDW in 1976, 1986, 1996, 2006 and today to see what TWDC thinks of trees ... and they just butchered the only big green area in Anaheim to place in two Star Wars rides.

Last edited:

WDW1974

Original Poster
@WDW1974 Long term, do you think this SDL park will improve relations at all between the CCP and the U.S.. It seems daft but I think an "olive branch" of a major American company and also words from POTUS are a good thing.

I'm thinking 15-20 years down the line to see what China looks like as it opens up more to capitalism and western things.

No idea. I like the idea that we'd ever not be on friendly terms with China. I don't know of two nations so intertwined over economics as the USA and China. So when I see the military's of each nation play games in the South China Sea or the US feign anger over the arrest and torture of HK booksellers (see NYT of late), I just sorta laugh.

We have to be in business with the CCP. Disney absolutely didn't.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Embarrassment? Really? One of many guests most beloved attractions?
I understand it's not as well-loved as the Disneyland original, but far from an embarrassment.

It's show quality has absolutely been an embarrassment off and on over the last 10-15 years. I have never seen it worse than on my 2015 visits, but it looked much better last month.

As to the ride itself, it still is top-flight. But clearly it is now far behind Shanghai, Anaheim, Tokyo and Paris versions ... it is short and lacks so much of the wow factor the others all have.

BrianLo

Tom (@WDWFigment ) was there at opening, perhaps he can shed some light on this. I find it hard to believe that it's better than DisneySea but I'll defer to Tom.

I have no idea what metric Marty would be using, but on pretty much none of them is it better than Tokyo Disney Sea. Well... merch is better.

However, on the scale of WDS to TDS it's certainly at the right end.

Nemo14

So, you are saying they kept out a foamhead alligator that was supposed to be in the show because a real gator snatched and killed a child on their property? Is that what you are saying? ... Oh, and how's the show? (I don't see breathless threads on it, Soarin or Frozenstrom, so I'm guessing everyone just wants to pontificate endlessly over a child's death ... while ignoring the deaths of 49 others slaughtered in the same city ... 50 if you include the singer the night before!)

I know I posted about this in the Seven Seas Lagoon tragedy thread, but it's worth repeating here.

There was a thread also about the shootings and many people voiced concerns and heartbreak over such a senseless happening, only to be told that they had no right to even grieve for the victims unless they were a part of the LGBT community. The thread got nasty very fast and I'm sure turned a lot of people off, myself included. Yes I'm still outraged that this could happen and my heart breaks for all the families involved, but I chose not to participate in the ugliness that abounded in that thread.

As far as the alligator thread is concerned, it has become a tiresome rant from a few people who seem to think that they must post the same drivel after every post, so it too has turned into yet another thread to ignore.

Last edited:

Astro Blaster

I've noticed that seemingly all official WDW social media accounts have not posted anything since the alligator incident. I wonder when they will become active again and what the first post will be...

lazyboy97o

Any thoughts on the entertainment/food/merchandise at the park/resort?
As far as I noticed, none of the shows were playing the day I was there. Didn't really look at merchandise or food.

Another question since you mentioned Bob Gurr ... I could have sworn I saw him in the background of a photo, but didn't see anything reported on that. Do you know if he was there?
I never saw Gurr but was only there for a few hours on a single day. Disney was not the reason I was in Shanghai so my attention was largely elsewhere when not in the park.

Ah, you get around. What's wrong with Mako. I sorta know what Kong's issues are!
It's not the coaster itself which is the problem. It's a fun ride, but there is not much else to the addition. The strategy of late has been to try to create more distinct lands within SeaWorld Orlando. The budget just wasn't there for that. The same boxy buildings painted blue with a few props don't make it look like you're in a shipwreck. Those small bits of extra funds probably would have been better applied to the attraction to create some sense of immersion within the queue or station.

Last edited:

Disneyhead'71

An E-Ticket in scope or in quality ... because I know people who are UNI Wand Wavers who say that this is largely more of the same with a great monkey AA in it.
Both. And yes more of the same. But what it does, it does well. I like it. But I like "Universal" attractions. Overall, I like it more than Gringott's.

The problem isn't the attraction, but the balance at the resort as a whole. IOA is actually pretty balanced right now and this dark ride breaks up the entire SW quadrant of the park is just wet rides, but USF has way too many 3D attractions in relation to what else is there.

Mike S

Just as long as it's not....just screens.
I doubt it for the Battle ride at least. The only "just screens" rides I can think of are Soarin', Simpsons, and Despicable Me. Star Tours as well if you don't count C3PO.
An E-Ticket in scope or in quality ... because I know people who are UNI Wand Wavers who say that this is largely more of the same with a great monkey AA in it.
Ape, not monkey ;)
Both. And yes more of the same. But what it does, it does well. I like it. But I like "Universal" attractions. Overall, I like it more than Gringott's.

The problem isn't the attraction, but the balance at the resort as a whole. IOA is actually pretty balanced right now and this dark ride breaks up the entire SW quadrant of the park is just wet rides, but USF has way too many 3D attractions in relation to what else is there.
The 360 scene makes it different enough from the other 3D rides imo at least until Fast & Furious opens. They could fix the balance easily by finally getting rid of Shrek and Terminator for dark rides and then of course there's Nintendo.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom