From the OS: Gator drags child into Seven Seas Lagoon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt_Black

No kind and caring family deserved for this to happen. I hope they find peace in the future. I won't be able to enjoy any beaches at Disney, I won't be able to erase that we are all threatened by alligators, and poison snakes. We just saw a 6 foot snake thrashing around at Saratoga Springs, next to the adult pool, during mid day. When it turned and came toward us, we started running back really fast, and I yelled snake to alert others.

Apparently, WDW has always been some kind of heck-hole, where guests are constantly besieged by vicious beasts. Which I don't recall seeing on any of my trips down there, but then I was too busy enjoying myself.

21stamps

And this is exactly why your logic is flawed. "You" know. "You" don't need to be warned. "You" in this case are Disney. Aware of a potential threat. If you invite someone to your home as you referenced in a prior post, and "you know" of a potential threat. Don't you think it may be a good idea to let your house guests know of that threat as well?
First of all. You don't have a clue if these people knew or not. Either do I. So neither of us can have completely flawed logic since we are missing a huge part of the puzzle.
I knew, I allowed my kid in the water.

You may want to read up on Florida. No I don't think it's my responsibility to warn you of all of the dangerous animals that may or may not show up in my back yard. Because they probably won't show up there. This is where our opinions are at odds.

I'm not going in circles again.

21stamps

No kind and caring family deserved for this to happen. I hope they find peace in the future. I won't be able to enjoy any beaches at Disney, I won't be able to erase that we are all threatened by alligators, and poison snakes. We just saw a 6 foot snake thrashing around at Saratoga Springs, next to the adult pool, during mid day. When it turned and came toward us, we started running back really fast, and I yelled snake to alert others.
Please don't be scared!!! Your danger factor is so extremely minuscule.. Be aware but don't let it make you afraid.

betty rose

Exactly the reason why there should be warnings. This was no doubt a terrible tragedy that this baby lost its life, but it could have been prevented, so I definitely think Disney is the only party that truly has any blame even if it is just a small amount.
I'm an old grandmother than has gone to Disney since it opened, the C.M.'s used to tell us that snakes and alligator's were taken out each night, if they were large, and relocated. I have gone for years, taking my two grandson's , one when he was a baby, and the other at three. We never gave it a thought, that in 1975, there were threats out there. We asked, as we had gone to Silver Springs, and saw a lot of alligators, there. We were aware, of alligators, but were told , if we leave them alone they would do also. Nothing was mentioned about their hunting habits. We took this message forward. We took our daughter when she was two, and the grandsons' many years later. I will stay away from water after this. I have asked for the highest floor for our trip. And I can't bring myself to go near the Grand Floridian.

21stamps

Here's what I would like to know.

How many people visited Poly and GF since they opened.

Now take that number and do the math on number of guests vs one attack at Seven Seas Lagoon. Then tell me the odds.
Then tell me why you should be afraid.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
First of all. You don't have a clue if these people knew or not. Either do I. So neither of us can have completely flawed logic since we are missing a huge part of the puzzle.
I knew, I allowed my kid in the water.

You may want to read up on Florida. No I don't think it's my responsibility to warn you of all of the dangerous animals that may or may not show up in my back yard. Because they probably won't show up there. This is where our opinions are at odds.

I'm not going in circles again.

You may want to brush up on your reading comprehension. I'll try to explain it a little better using an analogy:

If you know that a python had been spotted in your neighborhood for the past several days, and your neighbor says they spotted it last night in the tree in your backyard --- And your best friend happens to be over your place with her 2 year old son and says "Hey, we're going out back". Do you tell her about the python? Answer - Please.

21stamps

You may want to brush up on your reading comprehension. I'll try to explain it a little better using an analogy:

If you know that a python had been spotted in your neighborhood for the past several days, and your neighbor says they spotted it last night in the tree in your backyard --- And your best friend happens to be over your place with her 2 year old son and says "Hey, we're going out back". Do you tell her about the python? Answer - Please.
So in this fictional scenario, someone had seen this gator and knew it was in that spot.

Yes, if I knew, or if they knew. That is withholding important information.

That's a big IF.

You keep throwing out attempted insults and scenarios that you are completely making up without any facts. I think there's really no more point to a discussion between us. Maybe your reading comprehension skills will allow you to understand this post...

betty rose

Apparently, WDW has always been some kind of heck-hole, where guests are constantly besieged by vicious beasts. Which I don't recall seeing on any of my trips down there, but then I was too busy enjoying myself.
You can't ignore, when a snake is coming directly toward you. My sister saw an 8 ft. gator camped out between the buildings at Coronado Springs. Do things exist? Yes....it's part of life in the south. Education is key for those who don't know about the area. A simple page, to new guests , when they check in would go a long way. To do that education, even if they have to see that they read about wildlife, and sign a waiver. That would go a long way to educate people from all over this country, and those out of the country.

21stamps

I'm an old grandmother than has gone to Disney since it opened, the C.M.'s used to tell us that snakes and alligator's were taken out each night, if they were large, and relocated. I have gone for years, taking my two grandson's , one when he was a baby, and the other at three. We never gave it a thought, that in 1975, there were threats out there. We asked, as we had gone to Silver Springs, and saw a lot of alligators, there. We were aware, of alligators, but were told , if we leave them alone they would do also. Nothing was mentioned about their hunting habits. We took this message forward. We took our daughter when she was two, and the grandsons' many years later. I will stay away from water after this. I have asked for the highest floor for our trip. And I can't bring myself to go near the Grand Floridian.
You aren't in any more danger now than you were then. I won't tell you how to do your vacation. I also won't say that when I look at the water that I won't think of what happened. Enjoy your vacation though! Take comfort in the odds, they are so slim!

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
So in this fictional scenario, someone had seen this gator and knew it was in that spot.

Yes, if I knew, or if they knew. That is withholding important information.

That's a big IF.

You keep throwing out attempted insults and scenarios that you are completely making up without any facts. I think there's really no more point to a discussion between us. Maybe your reading comprehension skills will allow you to understand this post...

It's not a big IF. Reports are everywhere about Cast Members reporting that the issue has been getting worse, guests feeding gators at the bungalows at Poly, other families reporting threatening behavior by gators. Resort Management ignoring reports.

In short -Disney knew. Or as you say: Withheld important information.

G00fyDad

You can't ignore, when a snake is coming directly toward you. My sister saw an 8 ft. gator camped out between the buildings at Coronado Springs. Do things exist? Yes....it's part of life in the south. Education is key for those who don't know about the area. A simple page, to new guests , when they check in would go a long way. To do that education, even if they have to see that they read about wildlife, and sign a waiver. That would go a long way to educate people from all over this country, and those out of the country.

I think (and this is just my opinion) that the reason Disney did not give guests a paper warning of alligators up till now is simply because they didn't want to frighten people. They're a business that deals in family getaways. The last thing you want to do is have people coming to your business and then being told they might possibly encounter a dangerous creature. I understand that it sounds stupid but if you think about it Disney doesn't want to put people on edge about something that probably is not going to be a big deal. Yes, recent events might make that comment sound incredibly silly. But if you think about it most people who get a piece of paper from Disney warning them of alligators would take that to an extreme and assume that alligators are around every corner and outside every hotel room. People panic over small things. Again, that's just my opinion.

Daveeeeed

You seriously are blowing my mind right now. How is it so hard to understand that you only don't see a problem with having no warnings because you know there are gators.

Daveeeeed

I think (and this is just my opinion) that the reason Disney did not give guests a paper warning of alligators up till now is simply because they didn't want to frighten people. They're a business that deals in family getaways. The last thing you want to do is have people coming to your business and then being told they might possibly encounter a dangerous creature. I understand that it sounds stupid but if you think about it Disney doesn't want to put people on edge about something that probably is not going to be a big deal. Yes, recent events might make that comment sound incredibly silly. But if you think about it most people who get a piece of paper from Disney warning them of alligators would take that to an extreme and assume that alligators are around every corner and outside every hotel room. People panic over small things. Again, that's just my opinion.
I too agree that that is probably the reason, but it is no excuse. That philosophy is what more than likely got this kid killed, and now they are going to go overboard since it happened.

21stamps

You seriously are blowing my mind right now. How is it so hard to understand that you only don't see a problem with having no warnings because you know there are gators.
I don't have a problem with it. I think the new signs are fine, good actually. I have an issue with the fence. But if you want to know that issue you can read about 10 pages back lol.

raven

:banghead: This is a place where Disney knew that there were gators, yet they do nothing. It is not common sense to someone not living in the south that there will be gators in freakin' seven seas lagoon. Sharks like you said are in every beach in the world, so they don't need to have warnings, but they do put up purple flags at public beaches if sightings of marine life. Clearly you have knowledge of the gators and if you've read my posts I think you'll understand why Disney is mostly to blame.
The gator was wild, not an animatronic. Signs were posted and ignored.

So it's common sense that sharks are in oceans but in Disney it's NOT common sense not to know you aren't supposed to climb the Mexico pavilion at Epcot? Or purposely leave your seat belt off in Soarin' and Tower of Terror?

No. Stupid people will always exist. But just because you get the perception of Disney being care-free, safe and staying in a dream world doesn't mean you should let your guard down.

21stamps

They should've had them for the past 44 years.
That's where I'll agree to disagree. Really there is nothing else I can say. I don't think one attack out of millions of people means that this is a dangerous place. Now that an attack has happened, even though it is still not really a dangerous place, there needs to be clearly worded signs.

betty rose

Please don't be scared!!! Your danger factor is so extremely minuscule.. Be aware but don't let it make you afraid.
I should say were are DVC member's and have gone there for years, this is the first time we have been threatened by a large snake. Was I scared, you bet I was. It's hard when you don't know if it's a poison snake or a common snake. We have seen many small snakes over the years, we were shocked, as this one was so big and aggressive. I will say, a C.M. saw our distress at art of animation, and offered us free water. She was very kind. The people at Disney, the C.M's are the best. We have always been treated with kindness. I will take some responsibility for not keeping up on Florida's conservation program to rebuild the alligator program. It looks like it was successful. We will be back to Disney in October, will I go near water, at night? As I'm old and pretty much night blind. No chance of that. I will try to get back to our hotel, after dark, and the very least carry a flashlight. It's not bad to know about the area, and do what seems like common sense. Carry flashlights, with them on, in dark areas. I assume nocturnal animals, don't like light.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom