From the OS: Gator drags child into Seven Seas Lagoon

Status
Not open for further replies.

ParentsOf4

Yeah this is the real reason they have to build a fence. Not because people are whining and complaining but rather Disney doesn't want to be confrontational and tell someone they can't do something.
Disney needs to take immediate steps to address a real safety concern. These rope fences are part of that.

Beyond that, we've all seen instances of Guests behaving badly and Disney not doing something about it. The reasons are secondary.

However, in this instance, this is a real and widely reported safety concern. As a result, Disney simply can no longer ignore Guests feeding alligators. Disney needs to crack down hard on people who do this. Ban them from the property and make sure it's widely reported.

Guests behaving badly are putting others at increased risk. It's got to stop and since it's happening on Disney property, Disney has to be the one to enforce this.

asianway

Incomudro

It's not just an illusion of safety, it provides a measure of safety.
The fence keeps humans a few feet back from the waters edge where a submerged and unseen gator may lurk.
Gators want to make a lunge from the water, snatch their prey - then wheel around and rush back to the water.

Last edited:

FrankLapidus

I wonder about these rope fences. We've seen the tremendous press coverage this tragedy has received. It's been on the front page of numerous mainstream newspapers and the headline story for many broadcasts. Presumably, Disney recognizes that a visible response is needed immediately. Long-term, I wonder where this goes.

Based on what I know at the moment, I think the right solution is additional signage, Guest education, and a strictly enforced "don't feed the alligators" policy.

I think exactly the same.

The only problematic thing I can see from Disney's standpoint is enforcing the "don't feed the animals" policy. I've seen people throwing food, snacks like crackers and biscuits, from the Kilimanjaro Safari trucks so they're up against it, the message just doesn't get through with some people. Do Disney come down hard with people who violate it or give a polite but firm warning? Do or even could they impose fines? Do they go so far as to eject guests who violate such a policy if the message doesn't get through?

The signage and improved guest education are the minimum I'd expect to come out of what has happened, I wouldn't like to see the beaches fenced off permanently so I suppose it comes down to how much of a deterrent Disney could put down to stop people feeding alligators or any other type of wildlife on property.

Last edited:

21stamps

I believe it's more than a freak accident.

I believe there's a significant problem.
What lead you to this conclusion?
Even on Daytona beach alligators are
Coming
Out of the ocean onto the beach. Should those hotels erect fences/sea walls to protect the humans from the alligators.

Grand Floridian is probably going to really suffer and they will have to tear it down or retheme it.

http://www.clickorlando.com/news/local/alligator-found-on-daytona-beach-shores
Like I said, I do think, depending on the measures taken, it will cause at least a few people to stop and think if the cost is still "worth" it.

PhotoDave219

Disney needs to take immediate steps to address a real safety concern. These rope fences are part of that.

Beyond that, we've all seen instances of Guests behaving badly and Disney not doing something about it. The reasons are secondary.

However, in this instance, this is a real and widely reported safety concern. As a result, Disney simply can no longer ignore Guests feeding alligators. Disney needs to crack down hard on people who do this. Ban them from the property and make sure it's widely reported.

Guests behaving badly are putting others at increased risk. It's got to stop and since it's happening on Disney property, Disney has to be the one to enforce this.

I don't know if Disney legally can .... But I could see them culling the population.

Clamman73

I can't tell from the plans for those WL DVC bungalows or whatever they are by the water, what type of shoreline boundary they are going to use.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Actually, the experts have stated that the reason was twofold - night time when they feed the most, and since the boy was making noise, the gator figured it to be a wounded animal, and therefore, easy prey. Quite spouting stupid stuff.

Go get a field guide to Florida animals and look UP the land speed of a small to medium gator (4'-8')

That is if reference materials don't get in the way of your preconceived ideas.

For the rest of you - here is a short entry from reference.com

https://www.reference.com/pets-animals/fast-can-alligators-run-land-b159e3e00598a8a2

This little factoid is why they are able to take pets and wildlife from the waters edge because they are damn quick for short sprints.

flynnibus

Premium Member
It's no accident that 1/3 of the photos show the resort on it's beach setting. I don't really know what else to say, I get where your coming from, but you'r just not looking at it from the marketing perspective.

Waterfront != beach

You can't even make out the recreational beach in those photos... they just show the property on the lagoon. One of them shows the sand side near the pavilion - which isn't even the recreational beach.. which is on the OTHER side. The sand is BARELY noticeable. The property is being showcased for its location and setting on the water.

Maybe in your marketing eyes there is a beach there just waiting to be discovered and its some sexy tease... but it's the water, not beaches that is being spun here. I mean come on.. on the header they even show the NON-BEACH side... choosing the side that is all break rock.

Just like it took 4 posts to get you to answer that you DIDN'T find the original picture in Disney marketing/literature.. you're just digging in here and trying to avoid the fact it's not prominently shown here either.. which is why you didn't actually SHOW the photos, just said 'its in two of them'. You're just being dodgy vs facing it.

In one of the 6 precious photos... Disney wastes it on pontoon boats... The sunbathing beach isn't even LISTED, let alone promoted, on the list of recreational amenities, etc.

I've made my point here

Incomudro

I think exactly the same.

The only problematic thing I can see from Disney's standpoint is enforcing the "don't feed the animals" policy. I've seen people throwing foods, snacks like crackers and biscuits, from the Kilimanjaro Safari trucks so they're up against it, the message just doesn't get through with some people. Do Disney come down hard with people who violate it or give a polite but firm warning? Do or even could they impose fines? Do they go so far as to eject guests who violate such a policy if the message doesn't get through?

The signage and improved guest education are the minimum I'd expect to come out of what has happened, I wouldn't like to see the beaches fenced off permanently so I suppose it comes down to how much of a deterrent Disney could put down to stop people feeding alligators or any other type of wildlife on property.

Speaking of that.
When my family checked into the AK Lodge we were given very specific advice on what not to do.
"Don't hang towels and clothes on the balcony, don't feed the animals, no straws etc..."
Were guests staying in the Grand Floridian given advice about the alligators?

drew81

Next year's Shareholder Meeting Q&A session is going to be interesting. I might have to ask a question about this.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Go get a field guide to Florida animals and look UP the land speed of a small to medium gator (4'-8')

That is if reference materials don't get in the way of your preconceived ideas.

For the rest of you - here is a short entry from reference.com

https://www.reference.com/pets-animals/fast-can-alligators-run-land-b159e3e00598a8a2

This little factoid is why they are able to take pets and wildlife from the waters edge because they are damn quick for short sprints.
Well, what you say here is certainly true, but has nothing to do with your previous point that feeding the gators is what caused the attack. :confused:

kelknight84

It also gets into your brain through the nasal passages when you get water in your nose- which happens when your face is in the water while swimming. Or even water skiing. But not while wading. There ARE other infections you can get if you have any cuts, etc - or you get them while in the water, such as a scrape against an oyster bed, etc.
Correct but everyone keeps acting likes it's a unique Disney issue, but again it's a normal FL occurance in every body of water.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
If a large bird swoops down and snatches a baby... Or injures a guest in trying to snatch something... Was Disney obligated to let guests know there are large birds of prey in the region and encounters MIGHT happen?

What about mosquitos and the diseases they carry... Is that a sign too?

Or how about the snake that comes out of the bushes... Where is the snake sign???

This argument is not black and white, and there are conditionals and degrees of interpretation that a judge would have to evaluate. There is a lot of presedence tho for no liability for native wildlife that can be expected to be present.

Here is a Disney issued marketing image for the Grand Floridian. An image that has been used at this site. Look very closely at the image.
If you want to discuss topics you have absolutely no idea about...then continue to make yourself look ignorant.

Disneys-Grand-Floridian-Resort-and-Spa.jpg;width=630;height=422;mode=crop;scale=both;encoder=freeimage;quality=60;progressive=true

flynnibus

Premium Member
Clearly Disney isn't concerned about needing to settle with the family... as these actions pretty much would make it a slam dunk to say Disney knew, but didn't do enough to protect the guests. Using their own reactions against them is a piece of cake to shown them as necessary or 'should have been done'. Disney is cutting the check and just hoping to appear proactive here.

Seanual757

Im for a tear down if it means I finally get my Asian Resort

No thanks Disney can cut me a check plus $$ for buying back my DVC share for the VGF since they already have offered us purchase price plus 10% to buy or DVC back.

I think it's more than that. I think a lot of people like staying at Poly and GF bc they are so peaceful, and the view from the beach and your room is unobstructed and beautiful (on the immediate beach) If people want a boardwalk they can stay at an Epcot resort. I think Disney wants the 2 areas to have a different feel.

We stay for a few reasons both are our home DVC resorts, we prefer the monorail line (4 small kids so we do not have to break down the stroller to get on the bus for 2 of the 4 parks), and last we love the views.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Here is a Disney issued marketing image for the Grand Floridian. An image that has been used at this site. Look very closely at the image.

I did.. and its old marketing material hosted on this site - NOT DISNEY'S. Can you follow the conversation... especially since you're going to start throwing out insults?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom