Orlando shootings and the parks

bhg469

Just read a report on one of the Florida news sites that says they're investigating whether or not WDW was a potential target and that they're arresting someone that helped the shooter carry this out.

It makes a lot of sense but I truly believe that there would have been less casualties there based on many places to run and police presence.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
how is that different form the USA post TLC(NAFTA)?
I mean , its a love hate relationship by using cheap labor (even Trump loves them when its convenient) :eek:

The difference is that you have a head of state inviting economic migrants to directly enter the country by passing the usual EU restrictions, once in with no background checks they gain EU citizenship and a free to travel unrestricted around all countries. All with no political mandate. And if you were to familiarise yourself with the events across the EU you would see, that even with major news management of events, there is a serious disconnect between the host nations normal way of life and standards and the new comers, from the middle east and the African sub Sahara which is causing increased tension. I'm being polite here.
You have to remember that the EU limits migrants from non EU nations, Herr Mirkell has bypassed that and now has created a firestorm across the EU. You really cant compare this to the US and its southern border, the main one being we are not the US and the EU is not a Federal Govt, well not yet anyway if they can get away with it.

Theres a reason none of the British TV stations are carrying news on the migrant camps in Calais, and are unlikely to do so ahead of June 23rd.

EOD K9

I am black male, i got searched at ak and epcot within hours of each other. I also saw a disproportionate number of other black people being searched.
If it makes you feel any better, and it probably wont, I work in Law Enforcement and have the typical cop look; I was randomly selected to go through the metal detector. My wife and children however, were not.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
The difference is that you have a head of state inviting economic migrants to directly enter the country by passing the usual EU restrictions, once in with no background checks they gain EU citizenship and a free to travel unrestricted around all countries. All with no political mandate. And if you were to familiarise yourself with the events across the EU you would see, that even with major news management of events, there is a serious disconnect between the host nations normal way of life and standards and the new comers, from the middle east and the African sub Sahara which is causing increased tension. I'm being polite here.
You have to remember that the EU limits migrants from non EU nations, Herr Mirkell has bypassed that and now has created a firestorm across the EU. You really cant compare this to the US and its southern border, the main one being we are not the US and the EU is not a Federal Govt, well not yet anyway if they can get away with it.

Theres a reason none of the British TV stations are carrying news on the migrant camps in Calais, and are unlikely to do so ahead of June 23rd.

6 Months ago I felt Brexit didn't have a shot. Now, not so sure anymore. And I'm coming around to the thinking that it just may be justified and probably needs to happen. Not sure where in the UK you're at, but I just read that the new London Mayor (who happens to be the first Muslim London Mayor) has now "outlawed" advertisements of what he considers are "sexy women" on public transit. Starting to become a strange world we are living in.

Jason Lives

That's funny because my fiance' is a white woman who was searched 4 times at 3 different parks within a one week period.
And I had to walk through the metal detector twice myself.
I guess the police are anti-white too.

disney4life2008

If it makes you feel any better, and it probably wont, I work in Law Enforcement and have the typical cop look; I was randomly selected to go through the metal detector. My wife and children however, were not.

You make sense but the reality is that if the numbers were released my suspicion is black people are searched more.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
6 Months ago I felt Brexit didn't have a shot. Now, not so sure anymore. And I'm coming around to the thinking that it just may be justified and probably needs to happen. Not sure where in the UK you're at, but I just read that the new London Mayor (who happens to be the first Muslim London Mayor) has now "outlawed" advertisements of what he considers are "sexy women" on public transit. Starting to become a strange world we are living in.
Under the guise of body shaming. Not outlawed yet but its a project.
It is strange times, people demanding tolerance on behalf of a group that cant tolerate each other far less anything else.

Nubs70

Under the guise of preventing "Body Shaming"

DavidS1234

I have to believe that, in spite of all the hate and ignorance in this world, cooler heads and reasonable minds will prevail. This life is not about proving who's wrong...it's about showing who's in love with life.

Last edited:

mimitchi33

I am black male, i got searched at ak and epcot within hours of each other. I also saw a disproportionate number of other black people being searched.
And it's not just due to race. My father always has to go through the scanner at airports (and went through one at Magic Kingdom) because he always wears belts. (For those curious, my father does have tannish skin like Michael Jackson, but lighter (IDK why though), and the rest of our family is white.)
Apparently, Disney Springs was a potential target. According to the news wire.
Even if that was the target, they should have known better after the fist fight last Christmas and amped up security at Disney Springs by building these detectors.
Was at Disney Springs yesterday and the increase in foot security was palpable. Saw a bunch of OCPD walking around as well, saw a family sitting in their car and security asked them what they were doing (waiting for their teenagers). Security in World of Disney as well now that I think about it. Someone I work with lost somebody in the events. Sick to my stomach over it and everywhere I go around Orlando has an atmosphere of nervousness and feeling on edge
I saw security inside World of Disney, as well as outside Once Upon A Toy, on my last trip in April. This doesn't help matters when you confuse one of them for someone who works inside World of Disney and cannot help you find something you want because of it, and even worse if their first language isn't English. I should know because it happened to me.

disney4life2008

You make sense but the reality is that if the numbers were released my suspicion is black people are searched more.

I am a professor of sociology of education, my reaearch focuses on the micro racial agressions of black males. Numbers are not needed, racial micro agression theory is defined what one feels about someome in society. I will not go into a full theoretical discussion though.

Cesar R M

So, the only difference is how public they are on their interests for cheap labour?
Because I know that W. Bush was constantly teasing for "immigration reform" that gave tons of labourers hope.
Almost felt like the "dont ask dont tell" policy in the military.

Siren

Under the guise of body shaming. Not outlawed yet but its a project.
It is strange times, people demanding tolerance on behalf of a group that cant tolerate each other far less anything else.
OMG. This discussion is *not* about body shaming, Pumbas. Just stay on topic for *once*. Anyway, I have just had enough of talking about this. I feel so tired, like my energy is totally drained or something.

Like, I don't want to sound insensitive because I have been grieving since news first broke on this incident and I have been following the news like 24/7. I have felt totally withdrawn and sad for days now.

With that said, what I am going through is absolutely *nothing* compared to the fate suffered by the victims and their families and friends. It's just awful.

But, people really need to stop acting like this happened at Disney -- especially the Disney fan community. This is not a Disney related issue. It did *not* happen at Disney World.

Pulse is at least 20 miles away from Disney. Disney and Pulse have no professional ties or association with each other.

This happened in Orlando and is an Orlando problem. The greater Orlando area is the 24th largest metropolis in the US and is larger than Las Vegas or Pittsburgh or Cincinnati.

Greater Orlando consists of almost *2.5 million* people and has *always* been rampant with crime -- a few years ago Orlando ranked higher than Detroit in crime. This however, has not deterred tourism -- if anything we have seen record breaking increases in tourism attendance.

Also, there was a copy cat incident that occurred the very next day in Los Angeles. L.A. Police detained a man armed heavily with militia gear and guns. He was targeting a Gay Pride parade. Note how he did *not* target Disneyland. This is an unfortunate attack against the LGBT community not Disney.

@Matt_Black -- Disney responded appropriately. I find your thread to be in very poor taste.

Last edited:

rob0519

In regards to the impact on tourism, I think tourism in the US will generally decrease. I'm saying this from an outsiders perspective. It's not just because of this horrific incident, but a combination of things. A lot of conversations that I have lately have been with people saying that instead of vacationing in the US they're going to take the time to travel elsewhere. I know families who camp in the US every summer, and now this year they are not. As for myself, I am seriously reconsidering our upcoming WDW vacation.
As for security, I'm relieved to see that they've put in metal detectors, and I would fully support guests being screened at the resorts before they board the buses/boats (we like to stay at FW).

Screened at the resorts? Where will it end?

Screened at the airport before you get on the plane. Screened at the airport before you get on the Magical Express. Screened at the resort before you get on the bus/monorail/boat to go to the parks. Screened at the parking lot as each car enters. Screened at the entrance to the parks. Screened at the entrance to Disney Springs. Screened getting on the buses back to the resorts.

Unless and until something major happens, I'm still looking at scheduling a trip later this year. As for this and another thread on the possibility of a terror attack at WDW, I'm done with both of them.

BuddyThomas

It is s coming out now that this lunatic had frequented Pulse nightclub for at least three years, that he would get falling down drunk saying that he couldn't drink around his family for religious reasons, that he pulled a knife on someone at one point because they made fun of his religion, and that he was on Grindr, a gay hook-up app.

http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-orlando-nightclub-shooting-20160613-snap-story.html

Draw your own conclusions.

In the meantime, the names and stories of the victims are coming out.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/06/13/us/orlando-victims-profiles/

This is an insanely tragic moment in American history. I can't even think clearly right now. Unreal. Pic from NYC vigil tonight below:
Pride vigil.jpg

Last edited:

Jason Lives

Are you really comparing PARK SECURITY (private instance, tourism / entertainment based company) again normal every day law enforcement (public) ?

You were the one that made mention of being searched twice before going into the parks. So I guess now you are moving the goalpost.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom