Orlando shootings and the parks

AndyS2992

Original Poster
I know this is a horrible subject and not suited to this forum but I'm concerned. :(

The other night, singer Christina Grimmie and a couple of fans were shot at her concert in Orlando and now 49 club goers have been killed in a terrorist attack on an Orlando club.

Is WDW (and the other parks) increasing security even more so right now in response or doing anything more than usual? If anything else happens in Orlando, especially at Disney, tourism will almost certainly decline for a while.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/ap...ger-Christina-Grimmie-shot-Florida-venue.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...Florida-shoots-20-people-taking-hostages.html

Last edited:

Siren

I know this is a horrible subject and not suited to this forum but I'm concerned. :(

The other night, singer Christina Grimmie and a couple of fans were shot at her concert in Orlando and now 20 club goers have been killed in a terrorist attack on an Orlando club.

Is WDW (and the other parks) increasing security even more so right now in response or doing anything more than usual? If anything else happens in Orlando, especially at Disney, tourism will almost certainly decline for a while.
This is all so devastating and heartbreaking. My condolences and prayers goes to all the victims and their loved ones.

When I was at Disney World there was security and a strong police presence *everywhere*.

When we arrived at our resort, the security guard had to confirm our name on a list with a drivers license before he would allow us onto the property.

Even our driver was caught off guard when the security guard demanded to see his drivers license and confirm his tag. He was totally unprepared and fumbled around in his wallet for a few minutes to find his drivers license.

At the parks, police cars were always parked right in front.

Orlando is a huge city, there will always be incidents, some worse than others.

Last edited:

Disneyhead'71

Having Orlando make international news because of it's level of gun violence two days in a row is not going to good for business.

I am a news photog, and I have been standing in front of Pulse, the club where 20 people were killed and 47 injured since 4am this morning.

I also was in front of the Christina Grimmie all yesterday morning.

wdwhoneymooner

While visiting WDW earlier this month, we noticed a good amount of security patrolling all the parks and DS. As for guests visits to the World, I don't think these two tragic stories will impact foot traffic too much. I believe folks who visit our community's happiest place feel very safe and secure. We ventured to WDW about a year after 9/11 and also saw a good number of security around and the parks were still busy (for the season).

JIMINYCR

I dont think the 2 Orlando shooting incidents will decrease FL tourism or affect Disney goers. People never think something like this will happen to them, so they will feel confident and continue their trips. Bag checks and the presence of security makes guests feel safe so they will not stay away. They may be more alert or suspicious of others in line next to them for a while until time passes and the incidents are forgotten. Disney makes people feel safe and relaxed. They communicate that its the outside world theyve left behind thats dangerous. Disney will continue doing well until an incident happens on property ... then guests will rethink trips.

kap91

I've always been scared of something like this happening at the parks and unfortunately it's probably only a matter of time before some troubled person realizes what an impactful target they are. And the problem is even if the security at the gates were air tight (which is not the case and also impossible) in a place like Disney, where thousands of people are everywhere there's always going to be places it could happen.

I do trust that such situations have been on operation's minds since at least 9/11 and with what seems like the recent uptick in suicide bombings and mass shootings I'm sure there are ample response plans in place if/when such an event occurs but there's only so much that can be done. Attacks like these are nearly impossible to predict with any accuracy and prevent without insane levels of security measures.

Best to do what you can to prevent it, plan for what to do if it happens, and try to enjoy life otherwise. Anything can happen to any of us at any time and really this is just one more way to add to that list.

On a personal note Orlando, and Disney really -considering how much I was there growing up, is my hometown and while I no longer live there I know many that still are, especially in the LGBT community. Thankfully everyone i know personally looks to be okay but having such an event hit literally so close to home really saddens me and I wish we as a society collectively would try to do more about it - even if those steps are limited.

kap91

There has been an uptick in coverage, not in overall violence. Keep in mind how statistically unlikely you are to be involved in this type of incident.

Not so much afraid that it'll happen to me personally, rather that it'll happen at all.

mimitchi33

And I wondered why I woke up at two to a wet bed today...(I always wake up seconds before major events that kill people happen for no reason-or maybe it's coincidental? It happened during Brussels too...)
I think Disney is not going to change anything about security. After all, they just changed their policy concerning safety a few months back. However, I m worried that attendance may drop due to fears that something similar will happen at Disney, especially with Soarin' Over the Horizon and Frozen Ever After in a few days.
My heart goes out to all the people who lost their lives.

rob0519

It's horrible that over 20 people are dead and dozens of others wounded and their lives changed forever. However, in my opinion, this will have zero impact on tourism to the major amusement parks. There may be some drop off in the club scene depending on what the shooter's motive was in that murderous event. If an event were to happen at Disney, there of course would be some decrease in attendance, for a little while perhaps.

Minthorne

People were killed - their value remains the same regardless of their affiliations. That's America. Why the shooter chose his targets speaks only of the shooter and his view of the world. It cannot be automatically attributed to all other individuals who may also be members of the same group(s) as the shooter's assumed affiliations.

Only love can conquer hate. Only kindness can quench some fires.

Last edited:

Bambilu Sparkler

For the loved ones of people who in the parks today, this is not only suited but necessary, and thank you for bringing it up. The airport is shut down, the hospital is on lock down, and the mayor has declared the city of Orlando in a state of emergency. Yes, this *may* have been an isolated shooting, but it is currently viewed as a terrorist act and we should all know by now that those no longer tend to be singular.

Those of you who have only vague knowledge of security there ( ie you've visited since 9/11) please understand that your input will only get in the way of needed information ( Disney is pointedly being left out of news reports). This is an ongoing event, that is happening *right now* and *within the same city*. PLEASE leave this forum open for those of us who either have up to the minute information, or have family in the parks right now.

My daughter is in the parks today. They report that they were xraying bags at check in and there is increased police presence since we were there a few years ago. They are getting updated reports and they feel safe. Our primary concern is that they remain safe while in their onsite hotel room tonight, while traveling between parks and on their drive to another Florida city when they leave. We believe it is more likely that a terrorist group wanting to target WDW might attack several smaller venues around the Parks, because those places won't have the security, but they can cause the same degree of fear. Given the set up at Downtown Disney, I would also consider that to be a possible target - it's much harder to set up the same degree of security there.

Our hearts are sick for the LGBT community, and especially those who were directly affected by this horrific attack. Please know we stand with you - even those who are at the Parks to enjoy themselves carry you in their hearts. .

Note to fundamentalists of every faith: hating others will never make you feel better about yourself, will never sway anyone worth knowing to your ideology and will turn all the good and kind people in the world against you.

Bambilu Sparkler

There has been an uptick in coverage, not in overall violence. Keep in mind how statistically unlikely you are to be involved in this type of incident.

Political statistics ( unlike scientific ones) are easy to manipulate, and that one does not apply to this situation even if it is accurate ( which is widely debated).

This is terrorism, which uses the element of surprise + choice of popular and iconic destinations. That is why they shut down the airport and hospitals and put Orlando in a state of emergency and the rest of the country ( and much of the world) in high alert. Today is not your statistical average, and Orlando is not your typical town.

It is both reasonable and prudent to consider Disney as a likely target of this particular type of violence. At any time, but today more than ever.

Bambilu Sparkler

My husband works in the museum industry. WDW is one of his clients ( yes, much of Disney, including the backlot is considered a museum). I'm seeing a lot of conjecture here about people's habits, denial, etc. Here are some facts:

After 9/11, visitorship to Huntsville Space and Rocket dropped 95% overnight, and stayed at almost nil for years. I know the exact number on that, because my husband was working on a 30 million dollar project for them at the time ( all those historic rockets have been rusting in the elements - they need covering). The project had to be put on ice and much of it was scrapped - along with our income for the year..That is just one example. Every museum, (the term 'museum' includes Disney, zoos and National parks) saw a sharp decline in visitorship after 9/11 no matter what part of the country it was in. New Orleans after Katrina had a more localized, but just as devastating loss of tourism.

Americans are strongly affected by terrorism and natural disasters, and individuals respond to them in various ways, largely depending on one's temperament and experience. On the whole, though, we stay away from places where trouble has struck, and it is likely a lot of people chose not to go to the WDW parks today because of this incident. But let's ask someone who is there right now:

My daughter's latest report (at 2:00 today) was that while the park is packed, the wait times have been very short for rides, so it's probable that WDW was anticipating heavier traffic today. Since she has never been there in the summer before, her measure of 'packed' is comparing it to Christmas week, not an average Sunday in June.

PhotoDave219

Having Orlando make international news because of it's level of gun violence two days in a row is not going to good for business.

I am a news photog, and I have been standing in front of Pulse, the club where 20 people were killed and 47 injured since 4am this morning.

I also was in front of the Christina Grimmie all yesterday morning.

Take care of yourself and your newsroom. This is some horrific stuff to deal with.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom