2015 theme park attendance

Bairstow

Seaworld is fading out, right now. But they also have a new shiny Attraction (and the rides are not a re-theme) every other year. From my perspective, they are heading in a direction where Rides are the main attendance driver over the animals.

...or nothing at all.
Attendance there actually dropped the year Manta opened.

Disone

Yep, good call, I forgot about it. Just made the donation. In case anyone else is feeling generous you can donate here:
http://www.gktw.org/help/give.php

It should also be noted that I also just purchased two "Poop Emoji" pool rafts to leave in my parents pool when they return from vacation. My credit card is going to have an interesting combination of expenses.

Classy RSox! Seriously classy. That said you were not totally wrong. The real story here seems to be overlooked by most, and it's one I predicted a year or so ago. It's not Hollywood Studios that was going to get passed by a universal Park first its California Adventure. That happened for the first time ever in 2015. The reason that is significant is because it's the first year that Disney does not have the top six theme parks in the United States. Additionally it's DCA 2.0, the park that Disney has invested in the most recently, is the one that finally gets surpassed by Universal Park.

So while 2015 was not the year Universal past Hollywood Studios, it is the year a Universal park passed a Disney park for the first time. (in the US, not world)

Jimmy Thick

Yep, good call, I forgot about it. Just made the donation. In case anyone else is feeling generous you can donate here:
http://www.gktw.org/help/give.php

It should also be noted that I also just purchased two "Poop Emoji" pool rafts to leave in my parents pool when they return from vacation. My credit card is going to have an interesting combination of expenses.

No losers in this bet as I just donated $100 to the Make a Wish Foundation in Wisconsin in your honor.

Anytime you want another bet for a great cause you let me know.

Jimmy Thick- * Jimmy salutes *

Nubs70

Did not read all the posts so if this a repeat sorry. If I did my math right USO increased approx. 1.5 million WDW increased 2.6 million. At this rate USO will catch WDW in ...... ah hmm. As too USO out drawing DHS this year wouldn't surprise me. It is better now. Check again in 5 years.
You need to look at rate of increase. Apply the rate of increase to the rule of 72 and WDW is in reach if WDW relies on selling low quality nostalgia.

tractor tipper

realized I forgot IOA which make total increase at 2 million verses 2.6 which gives Disney a 33% greater increase in raw numbers. Yes it's 4 to 2 in park numbers, also a lot of crossover. I think the interesting new competition will be between Star Wars and Avatar.

tractor tipper

Realized I forgot IOA. Uni increased 2 million vs. WDW 2.6 million giving Dis. a 33% larger increase in raw numbers. Yes it is 4 parks to 2 parks. I think the interesting competition will be between Star Wars and Avatar. Don't know rule of 72 but the rates of increase will change over time usually decreasing as you get bigger.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Realized I forgot IOA. Uni increased 2 million vs. WDW 2.6 million giving Dis. a 33% larger increase in raw numbers. Yes it is 4 parks to 2 parks. I think the interesting competition will be between Star Wars and Avatar. Don't know rule of 72 but the rates of increase will change over time usually decreasing as you get bigger.

The 'Rule of 72' is how long it will take for an investment to double in value at it's current rate of growth. Based on UNI's current growth rate WDW's attendance is definitely within reach especially since they are likely to complete a third gate before SWL/TSL lands are even under construction in earnest.

For the curious here's the wiki for the 'Rule of 72' https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rule_of_72

tractor tipper

I don't think Uni. growth rate will continue at 16% WDW will probably remain at or near current levels till new stuff opens then increase. Back in the early 80's interest rates were 15% plus, things change. One thing Disney has is for me the little detail. Went to Uni Diagon Alley (great attraction) and went up to what was a wizard character and asked him if he lived in town (meaning in Diagon Alley) , he said no but lived close by but it was a short drive they don,t hire people that live far away. Totally out of character.

Sped2424

I don't think Uni. growth rate will continue at 16% WDW will probably remain at or near current levels till new stuff opens then increase. Back in the early 80's interest rates were 15% plus, things change. One thing Disney has is for me the little detail. Went to Uni Diagon Alley (great attraction) and went up to what was a wizard character and asked him if he lived in town (meaning in Diagon Alley) , he said no but lived close by but it was a short drive they don,t hire people that live far away. Totally out of character.
I went to space mountain the other day and i asked the operating CM if she lived in this area (space station obviously) she said no but she lived in titusville and that it wasnt that bad of a drive to work. Completely unprofessional.

RSoxNo1

No losers in this bet as I just donated $100 to the Make a Wish Foundation in Wisconsin in your honor.

Anytime you want another bet for a great cause you let me know.

Jimmy Thick- * Jimmy salutes *
Much appreciated, I'm sure we'll disagree about something else in the future. Give it time.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

Please recall that WDW is now experiencing a DECLINE in admissions as referenced by Iger in the last earnings call, So if that trend continues or accelerates UNI will not NEED 15-16% growth year over year to catch wdw

danlb_2000

Premium Member

Diagon Alley is London in the Harry Potter world so it's totally plausible that someone working there would live elsewhere. Maybe the drive to avoid attracting attention to themselves, or the take the knight bus to work.

hopemax

On our second trip to WDW, we had a character breakfast at Artist Point. Pocahontas asked where we were from, and when we said we were from Washington, she asked which city because she was from Washington. And then talked about home for several minutes (I think she must have been really homesick). After we finished breakfast, I told my Dad, "I thought Pocahontas was from Virginia."

Universal's Harry Potter TMs have been pretty good for us. Once while buying a Butterbeer, we were greeted as Muggles and then the TM apologized when he saw my wand, and then greeted us as wizards. And lots of different comments about Muggle clothing, money, credit cards and other things.

Last edited:

JT3000

No he was speaking of Universal. Ask Mary Poppins if she is from "Titusville". Get my point?

You don't have a point, because there aren't any comparable wizard "characters" in WWOHP. Ask a random store clerk or food cart CM at Disney the same question and see what happens.

Classy RSox! Seriously classy. That said you were not totally wrong. The real story here seems to be overlooked by most, and it's one I predicted a year or so ago. It's not Hollywood Studios that was going to get passed by a universal Park first its California Adventure. That happened for the first time ever in 2015. The reason that is significant is because it's the first year that Disney does not have the top six theme parks in the United States. Additionally it's DCA 2.0, the park that Disney has invested in the most recently, is the one that finally gets surpassed by Universal Park.

So while 2015 was not the year Universal past Hollywood Studios, it is the year a Universal park passed a Disney park for the first time. (in the US, not world)

This isn't the first time Universal has had a higher attendance than DCA. It took DCA nearly a decade to catch USF after it opened. IOA was also higher for several years.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Yes they did and that's really the game right now for Universal.

I did notice a whole lot of Magic Bans on guests at Universal last time I was there. Universal has another Hotel coming on line along with a new water park plus an E-ticket along with a couple of lesser attraction coming on line soon. I'm wondering if the MB people liked what they saw at Universal and might jump ship in a year or two? WDW strength is because you can stay there for a week or two as a full vacation. I'm thinking Universal is headed to an easily 3-4 day maybe a week vacation?

Who knows what Universal will unleash in 2017?

Sadly for fans of WDW it will probably outshine Disney's offerings in the same year, Yes I'm looking at you blue cat people. Just like the #FAIL that RoL is turning out to be 3 years of preparation and the NAV system does not work, Did they not TEST it even on some small powered models as a proof of concept? To make sure that the vessels could properly hold station in the show area????

Once again Disney fails the six P's test i.e. Proper Preparation Prevents Poor Performance

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I for one like AK and I'm kind of looking forward to what Disney can do with Pandora.

RoL? Not sure what that is? Rivers of Light? NAV system not working? I don't know much about that show or what's going on?

RoL is having a problem with the barges being in the proper positions for the show, As for Avatar the only impressive things I've seen is the scale and the bioluminescent plants, But with NFL as a guide to what to expect out of WDI recently I'm not expecting much out of Pandora

Disone

You don't have a point, because there aren't any comparable wizard "characters" in WWOHP. Ask a random store clerk or food cart CM at Disney the same question and see what happens.

This isn't the first time Universal has had a higher attendance than DCA. It took DCA nearly a decade to catch USF after it opened. IOA was also higher for several years.
Thank you and correct. Clearly not the first time Universal Park exceeded California Adventure. Good call there. Turns out both Universal Studios Florida and islands of venture have both taken turns exceeding California Adventure.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom