2015 theme park attendance

UpAllNight

Well that's Diagon paid for within a year then.

Interested to see Universals revenue per customer just slightly behind Disney. Think I was expecting Disneys to be much higher due to their huge IP library and thus merchandise opportunities. Shows how well Universal do in extracting money through strong retail, food and drink and extra offerings in my opinion.

UpAllNight

Yeah I've always questioned the Disney numbers on here. Tokyo saw a decrease which I found weird. And DHS still increased 5%. Universal had a big jump at 16%.

DHS is the favourite Disney park of many a guest that I know. It's problems aren't necessarily noticed by one off visitors who will do all the shows etc. Plus it was widely reported that Orlando in general had a huge boom in tourism last year. Not saying the figures are completely accurate but they wouldn't suprise me. I think the advertising and events around Frozen and Star Wars incl nightly fireworks shows have been a success too.

Rteetz

Original Poster
DHS is the favourite Disney park of many a guest that I know. It's problems aren't necessarily noticed by one off visitors who will do all the shows etc. Plus it was widely reported that Orlando in general had a huge boom in tourism last year. Not saying the figures are completely accurate but they wouldn't suprise me. I think the advertising and events around Frozen and Star Wars incl nightly fireworks shows have been a success too.
Probably a good point. I just know a few insiders here have said the TEA numbers for WDW parks have always been a bit inflated.

UpAllNight

That's Universal still riding high from DA...and USJ riding high from WWoHp

Can't speak for everyone but the press coverage in the UK of DA in 2014 is what convinced us to book for 2015 after a long break. We also hit every other park. If that was replicated many times over it could explain the surge in Disneys and Unis numbers.

donsullivan

Premium Member
This data came out a little earlier than expected. Ironically I was updating my spreadsheet that I've been tracking for many years with this data last night in anticipation of the report coming out in early June as normal. Below are the attendance trends at the Disney and Universal parks in Orlando back to 1998. I've got earlier data but there are gaps in it for some parks so it only goes back as far as I have full data for the property. Both attendance charts use the exact same scale for proper relative reference over time.

WDW Attandance.png
Universal Orlando Attendance.png
Orlando Market Share.png

Disneyland Chart as well for Reference
Disneyland Attendance.png

Last edited:

andysol

After an extremely generous gift and personal letter from Bill Davis from USO during my last stay simply from an off-handed compliment I gave 2 months ago- I can say that from personal experience- the difference in upper level management is so night and day vs Chapek @ TWDC it's laughable. USO cares about their value they deliver to the consumer just as much as they care about the dollar they get back. Whereas with Disney- they just want your dollar and don't care about the value they give back like they used to.
Only one resort gets my dollar for the next 2-3 years.

PhotoDave219

Lets Bust out some charts!

WDW Attendance 2015 1.jpg

WDW Attendance 2015 2.jpg

Again, the only park showing decent growth is MK. The other three are hovering right around the 10-11M guest range.

In the past five years (since 2010), MK is up 19%, Epcot 7%, DAK/DHS 13%.

This puts the daily average (Attendance/365) for MK at 56,000; Epcot at 32,000; and DAK/DHS at 30,000.

donsullivan

Premium Member
It has to be said, as always, Disney does not provide attendance numbers. It makes me question how the report is compiled.

I've always felt that too many people bring their own bias to the party each year when they see these numbers. If someone is down on Disney, they think the numbers must be inflated and therefore not real. if you're a big Universal supporter you just assume those numbers must be undercounting the guest counts, etc.. In reality, this is the only constant source we have had for this data that is not the PR arm of one of the operators so it's the most reliable data set available over the long haul of time.

Last edited:

ParentsOf4

Although Disney does not release per-park attendance, they do report domestic and international percent changes in attendance. Cumulatively, TEA's percent changes are generally consistent with Disney's reported changes.

Please keep in mind that Disney reported a jump in 2015 attendance partially because it was a 53-week year, rather than the more common 52-week year.

P_Radden

View attachment 143486

View attachment 143488

Again, the only park showing decent growth is MK. The other three are hovering right around the 10-11M guest range.

This puts the daily average (Attendance/365) for MK at 56,000; Epcot at 32,000; and DAK/DHS at 30,000.
You know Dave, it's amazing Epcot actually maintained those numbers considering the lack of investment in the park. Festivals I guess.

Bairstow

After an extremely generous gift and personal letter from Bill Davis from USO during my last stay simply from an off-handed compliment I gave 2 months ago- I can say that from personal experience- the difference in upper level management is so night and day vs Chapek @ TWDC it's laughable. USO cares about their value they deliver to the consumer just as much as they care about the dollar they get back. Whereas with Disney- they just want your dollar and don't care about the value they give back like they used to.
Only one resort gets my dollar for the next 2-3 years.

Well that's the difference between being number one and number two with a bullet.

Nickels5

View attachment 143486

View attachment 143488

Did you put those together? Much respect if you did.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom