2015 theme park attendance

PhotoDave219

I don't believe it has any impact on this data at all. When Disney reports 2015 trends, it's for their fiscal year which ends in September vs the calendar year. TEA/TEI has always used calendar year for this report which doesn't change year over year.

TEA is the best we have and I'm not sold on any of the allegations people bring to the table. They're as close to a neutral party as you can find.

Also, shoutout to the Smithsonian for having Natural History as well as Air & Space in the Top 5.

gmajew

Premium Member
TEA is the best we have and I'm not sold on any of the allegations people bring to the table. They're as close to a neutral party as you can find.

Also, shoutout to the Smithsonian for having Natural History as well as Air & Space in the Top 5.

I agree it is the most accurate count we have and they have been doing it for years so you have to assume the numbers are within a margin of error of 5%.

Event with that it was a good year for Orlando and it showed.... Disney had a good year but the big question is will it continue? Based on the discounts for the summer now maybe things are slowing down... but I have a feeling you will see attendance flat at MK this year while Epcot will see a bump and AK, HS will be my surprise and I just had a feeling it is up again next year when we all know it should be down.

Star Wars fans are nutty and because of this they will visit this park to see the new night show and get a pick with chewy!

PhotoDave219

I agree it is the most accurate count we have and they have been doing it for years so you have to assume the numbers are within a margin of error of 5%.

Event with that it was a good year for Orlando and it showed.... Disney had a good year but the big question is will it continue? Based on the discounts for the summer now maybe things are slowing down... but I have a feeling you will see attendance flat at MK this year while Epcot will see a bump and AK, HS will be my surprise and I just had a feeling it is up again next year when we all know it should be down.

Star Wars fans are nutty and because of this they will visit this park to see the new night show and get a pick with chewy!

I agree with you..... especially with Bob saying attendance was down at Orlando in 2Q. I think the prices are finally too much for some people, plus the lack of anything new opening. (ReTheming doesnt count)

Edit: And It bugged me so much about the mislabeled photos (WDW/Disneyland mixup) that I emailed their editor.

gmajew

Premium Member
I agree with you..... especially with Bob saying attendance was down at Orlando in 2Q. I think the prices are finally too much for some people, plus the lack of anything new opening. (ReTheming doesnt count)

I don't know if it is jus the pricing.. The economy saw a slow down the first quarter of this year as well. Restaurants sales are down again for quarter 1 which gives you the best bench mark that people are not spending on those perks... Vacation get bumped as well.

Prices are going to go up everywhere in the next 12 months prices for food prices for labor so you will see price hikes I am sure at most places. I hope Disney is doing what most are and raised prices early to get it in place to be ready and another bump is not in the future.

donsullivan

Premium Member
From some reports, I've seen the reduction in Brazilian tourists coming to the US this year is also having an impact on summer attendance forecasts. The combination of an economic downturn there as well the the summer Olympics has reduced the number of Brazilians coming to the US during their (winter to them) annual trip. That seems to be having an impact on the forecasts of all of the operators in the Orlando market this summer.

DisneyDebRob

Edit: And It bugged me so much about the mislabeled photos (WDW/Disneyland mixup) that I emailed their editor.
Let us know what he says if you can Dave. I'm sure it's the usual... The intern just grabbed a stock photo and didn't realize. You never know though by looking at the Disney commercials with the glaring mistakes.

PhotoDave219

From some reports, I've seen the reduction in Brazilian tourists coming to the US this year is also having an impact on summer attendance forecasts. The combination of an economic downturn there as well the the summer Olympics has reduced the number of Brazilians coming to the US during their (winter to them) annual trip. That seems to be having an impact on the forecasts of all of the operators in the Orlando market this summer.

I've heard the same thing in that Brazilians are staying home.....

I don't know if it is jus the pricing.. The economy saw a slow down the first quarter of this year as well. Restaurants sales are down again for quarter 1 which gives you the best bench mark that people are not spending on those perks... Vacation get bumped as well.

Prices are going to go up everywhere in the next 12 months prices for food prices for labor so you will see price hikes I am sure at most places. I hope Disney is doing what most are and raised prices early to get it in place to be ready and another bump is not in the future.

Does make me wonder if another bubble has formed and we're looking at it popping again....

rushtest4echo

So according to the typical discussion here:

Orlando Disney Parks- "They've never been worse"
Magic Kingdom - "Nobody likes New Fantasyland" - Net Attendance Gain: 1.2 Million Guests
Epcot - "Stale, identity crisis, failure" - Net Attendance Gain: 350,000 Guests
DHS - "Should be shut down" - Net Attendance Gain: 500,000 Guests
AK - "It's almost worth going to" - Net Attendance Gain: 500,000 Guests

Orlando Universal Parks- "They're going to overtake Disney, so much better"
Universal Studios - "The real best park in Orlando" - Net Attendance Gain: 1.3 Million Guests
Islands of Adventure - "The second best park in Orlando" - Net Attendance Gain: 650,000 Guests

The prevailing sentiment among the loudest posters is that Disney is sitting in their behind and Universal is roaring toward them. Diagon Alley netted Universal an additional 100,000 guests compared to "lazy" Magic Kingdom who built the abomination of a land in New Fantasyland. The end result of WDW "running themselves into the ground" for the better part of a decade was an increase of 2.5 million guests this past year. The result of Universal breaking the bank on new attractions every single year for the past 5 years and opening a huge new hotel has been an increase of 1.8 million guests. I'm not discounting Universal's growth at all. In fact, I'm very pleased to see them challenging Disney and forcing them to do things like Pandora and Star Wars land (and of course fun smaller additions like Frozen and AK's new stuff).

On tap for WDW's "failing" parks will be a huge attendance boost for AK over the next few years after Nighttime stuff and Pandora, healthy growth for Frozen at EPCOT, and of course the flood of people for DHS later this decade. If Universal happens to finally match Disney's least attended park, next year or the following year, that result will be wiped away as the new attractions come online at AK and DHS.

I'd love to see Disney change the recent money grubbing stuff around the parks and I'd love to see move investment put into the parks aside from mega-attractions. But if they can continue to perform in this manner without that level of investment, why bother? As much as I hate to admit it, they seem to be performing quite well despite the "horror" that WDW has become to some people.

JassiSidhu2000

Completely despair that Disney still enjoys growth in Orlando, despite very little investment.

Tokyo Disney will invest big time as attendance is falling. Universal in Japan is doing stunning business since they began investing.

How is Hollywood Studios still enjoying growth? Crazy (yes i know the figures are for 2015, but still ...!)

wdwfan4ver

Yeah I've always questioned the Disney numbers on here. Tokyo saw a decrease which I found weird. And DHS still increased 5%. Universal had a big jump at 16%.
I could speak on DHS. I wouldn't be shocked if the percentage of DHS is true based on when I went to WDW last. I noticed that crowds seemed more packed at DHS than they were the year before based the wait times I saw and this was on late August to early September.

There is a couple other things that might have caused the increase besides the increase of Tourism across Orlando. Disney announced last year that it was the last year for the Osborne Lights and I think it possible more guests went DHS in the late in the year for that.

JassiSidhu2000

Universal Orlando investing in their parks actually helps Disney. There is only so many times you can visit Universal's two parks, that ultimately people end up going to Disney.

I only went to Orlando last year primarlIy because of Diagon Alley - and yet i still went to Disney too, and did their parks.

If Universal really want to hurt Disney in Orlando, they simply must build a third park - and keep people in their resort.

wdwfan4ver

How is Hollywood Studios still enjoying growth? Crazy (yes i know the figures are for 2015, but still ...!)
What happened to DHS in 2015 actually is 3 things.
1.) They are one of the theme parks that benefits from the Tourism growth in the Orlando area in 2015
2.) Disney did announce ahead of time that 2015 was going to be the final year for the Osborne Lights. While Osborne Lights has been drawing guests into DHS for the Holidays for years, it is very possible that more guests to DHS during December as due to Disney's announcement.
3.) Disney did have special things going during 2015 such as Frozen Summer Fun having stuff like Frozen Fireworks. They also started the Star Wars Fireworks on the night Star Wars: The Force awakens first opened in US theaters.

JassiSidhu2000

What happened to DHS in 2015 actually is 3 things.
1.) They are one of the theme parks that benefits from the Tourism growth in the Orlando area in 2015
2.) Disney did announce ahead of time that 2015 was going to be the final year for the Osborne Lights. While Osborne Lights has been drawing guests into DHS for the Holidays for years, it is very possible that more guests to DHS during December as due to Disney's announcement.
3.) Disney did have special things going during 2015 such as Frozen Summer Fun having stuff like Frozen Fireworks. They also started the Star Wars Fireworks on the night Star Wars: The Force awakens first opened in US theaters.

People are probably obliged to go because it's part of their package tickets. Hollywood Studios is nothing short of a disgrace, and has been for years now without even the works they are doing now.

Absimilliard

I find the Disney Hollywood Studios figure very suspicious, as the daily average that the TEA number gives is very close to the park maximum capacity. Did we hear reports that half the year was spent in phase closures for the park? If the attendance figure still grow next year, then it is rigged. With all the lost attraction capacity and walking space closures, the park capacity went down and it would be physically impossible to squeeze 10 million guests in that park over a year.

seascape

Sea World is down to 9th place in the top 10 and if things don't change today they will not make the top 10 next year. China is growing very rapidly as the 3 companies listed all grew more than 26.4%. Sea World can't survive on its own. It has to be taken over by someone and I just hope its an American Company that buys them.

Will Universal pass one or more of Disney's parks in the near future? US still needs about a million more which is not likely to happen this year. Brazil's economic problems are hitting everyone in Orlando and even with the little bit of Star Wars this year will keep HS from shrinking and once the additions of Star Wars Experience and Toy Story Land along with stage 3 will actually increase HS attendance to more than 15 million a year. Pandora and the other night time entertainment will keep AK increasing slightly. The place that needs help is Epcot. If Disney is not careful its Epcot that can be passed by Universal. Disney needs to add more rides and attractions to the world showcase and future world, Let it Go will not solve this problem. That said, the combined attendance at WDW for the 4 parks and 2 water parks was 58,441,000 and Universal was 19,687,000 for their 2 parks and Wet N Wild so neither company is hurting.

JassiSidhu2000

Sea World is finished. They have a hopeless CEO who thinks a roller coaster will save them. You couldn't make it up - all that Marine Life ip to play with and they build a coaster. Madness. Don't believe it's all down to the bad publicity of Black fish and welfare, they simply aren't investing anything into their parks.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom