Rumor- WDW to get new monorail trains in near future

Status
Not open for further replies.

Polydweller

agreed on all counts for the most part. I would say that the WDW is not as much of a ride as DL so you are correct there. The Mark IV and VI don't just look similar, they look exactly alike. The diff between the two are the seat arrangements, entry exit doors and the size of the overall train. I'm sure the mechanical are improved between IV to VI too. It isn't like DL where htey used the chassis of the old model. They couldn't do that in this case.

It could be used as a mass transit tech from Port Canaveral to the airport to WDW and back again easily.
Well not exactly alike. The Mark IVs had a small white protuberance containing a light on the front top of the driver's cabin that the Mark VIs didn't. The Mark VI monorail has the light but not the same protuberance and makes the two versions quite distinguishable.

DManRightHere

Now you are contradicting yourself. If the air is used to propel then it is pneumatic. I thought it was linear induction motors.

When I have read about the tech before, the propulsion is magnets, kund of like a mag lev. The tube would have no air, so in a vacuum. The purpose is it reduces air resistence, uses less power for higher speeds. Not sure if this is exactly the same thing as jt is speaking of.

jt04

When I have read about the tech before, the propulsion is magnets, kund of like a mag lev. The tube would have no air, so in a vacuum. The purpose is it reduces air resistence, uses less power for higher speeds. Not sure if this is exactly the same thing as jt is speaking of.

Not at all. Just what everyone assumes.

NormC

Correct. It uses linear induction motors for motion and Magnetic Levitation. The tube does not require a vacuum to work. It would just need aerodynamic pods and a way to vent the pressure created in front of the capsule. A vacuum would be great but not practical to the application for cost and safety reasons.

montyz81

Well not exactly alike. The Mark IVs had a small white protuberance containing a light on the front top of the driver's cabin that the Mark VIs didn't. The Mark VI monorail has the light but not the same protuberance and makes the two versions quite distinguishable.
among other things too. I think we are picking at nits here. For the most part, their shapes are exactly the same.

jt04

No it doesn't. Linear induction motors and maglev work perfectly fine without breathing.

I understand but that is not how this is designed. Since creating a perfect vacuum would be difficult to achieve and maintain, the vehicles breathe the air to levitate and/or for propulsion. There are two designs but both use air. If they did not pressure would build in front of the pod causing resistance and other complications. The tech being demonstrated today uses on board magnets for levitation. Air for propulsion.

NormC

JT. The link you posted shows maglev for levitation and linear motors for propulsion. If air is used for propulsion it IS pneumatic.

jt04

JT. The link you posted shows maglev for levitation and linear motors for propulsion. If air is used for propulsion it IS pneumatic.

One design uses maglev to launch like most many new coaster designs. But the on board engine for propulsion to the extreme speeds. I believe this is the more promising design. Both designs though rely on air. I know it Is not intuitive. That is why someone like Elon Musk thought of it when nobody else did.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Not according to their own video that JT posted above. It clearly shows maglev.

I just watched the video he posted a few pages back and it say nothing about how the technology works. Here is a description I found:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/next/tech/hyperloop-and-high-speed-trains

"The basic concept of the hyperloop is a pair of elevated steel tubes through which capsules carrying 28 passengers glide along at up to 760 mph on extraordinarily thin cushions of air. Capsules would be accelerated via linear motors, the same technology used in maglev trains. Linear motors are just like regular electric motors that are cut open and laid flat; electromagnets embedded in the track create waves of magnetic fields that propel capsules down the tube. To speed things further, air would be pumped from hyperloop tubes down to 100 pascals, or one-thousandth of the air pressure at sea level, reducing wind resistance. The remaining air would be compressed and fed through skis that run the length of the undercarriage to levitate the train."

NormC

One design uses maglev to launch like most many new coaster designs. But the on board engine for propulsion to the extreme speeds. I believe this is the more promising design. Both designs though rely on air for propulsion. I know it Is not intuitive. That is why someone like Elon Musk thought of it when nobody else did.
Using the link YOU provided us NO air is required.

NormC

I just watched the video he posted a few pages back and it say nothing about how the technology works. Here is a description I found:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/next/tech/hyperloop-and-high-speed-trains

"The basic concept of the hyperloop is a pair of elevated steel tubes through which capsules carrying 28 passengers glide along at up to 760 mph on extraordinarily thin cushions of air. Capsules would be accelerated via linear motors, the same technology used in maglev trains. Linear motors are just like regular electric motors that are cut open and laid flat; electromagnets embedded in the track create waves of magnetic fields that propel capsules down the tube. To speed things further, air would be pumped from hyperloop tubes down to 100 pascals, or one-thousandth of the air pressure at sea level, reducing wind resistance. The remaining air would be compressed and fed through skis that run the length of the undercarriage to levitate the train."
Thanks. So this example does use a vacuum, maglev and linear induction.

jt04

Using the link YOU provided us NO air is required.

Not for starting out. It is propelled by maglev and then uses an on board engine for extreme speeds. The other design uses air to levitate and maglev tech for propulsion. That is the air hockey table design. The demonstration today will be with on board magnets for levitation, maglev for launch, and on board air breathing engine for extreme speeds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom