Rumor- WDW to get new monorail trains in near future

Status
Not open for further replies.

baylaketower

Original Poster
This is strictly a RUMOR. I have heard from many sources that the WDW Monorail Sytem is getting new trains in the future. Similar to ones at DL. Comments?

CTXRover

New trains would be great, but they would have to be very different than the new ones at Disneyland. At Disneyland, they are too small to handle the amount of guests that need to be transported by the Walt Disney World system. They certainly had no standing room and minimal seating from what I remember from my recent visit. Also, they were not equipped with air conditioning, which created a lot of headaches after they were first installed. However, the look of them would be great for the monorail system here at Disney World.

I don't know how the mechanics of our current monorail system are holding up, but at the very least they need an extensive interior redesign/refurb.

Cmdr_Crimson

New trains would be great, but they would have to be very different than the new ones at Disneyland. At Disneyland, they are too small to handle the amount of guests that need to be transported by the Walt Disney World system. They certainly had no standing room and minimal seating from what I remember from my recent visit. Also, they were not equipped with air conditioning, which created a lot of headaches after they were first installed. However, the look of them would be great for the monorail system here at Disney World.

I don't know how the mechanics of our current monorail system are holding up, but at the very least they need an extensive interior redesign/refurb.

Also note that the DL Monorails were never intended for transportation as it was just a ride that's why they are built that way...

WDW95

I highly doubt that new monorails modeled after the new ones at Disneyland would be coming to Disney World. The new monorails at Disneyland were designed to be vintage, to resemble the designs of the original monorail and what existed at Disneyland until 1987. The new monorails bring nostalgia and reflect the 1950s origins of the monorail and the park itself. Also, Disneyland's is much smaller in scale that WDW's.

Disney Worlds Monorail trains have always looked the way they did. It would seem kind of silly to give them a 1950s look. Especially going through Epcot, what we have right now looks a lot more futuristic than the 50s look of Disneyland's new fleet. I like how they are white, crisp, and clean. They call attention to themselves without being bright red and blue and are not distracting but rather elegant, not that Disneyland's look ugly. The look at Disneyland works for it while the look at WDW works for it. I would prefer if they kept the look they have now or if they were redesigned something like the Las Vegas Monorail maybe.

Though it does seem like every 20 years new trains are placed on the system. I wonder if the current fleet can continue or have their time come up?

Beholder

Be interesting if they could/would take this opportunity to do a slight redesign of the monorails to make them appear a bit more futuristic. Something cosmetic, nothing major, but give it an "evolved" look, like the way a car will change over time to reflect current technology and style. Perhaps even add interactive elements via wi-fi or something. Just thinking about some possibilities here.

JafarMaleficent

I highly doubt that new monorails modeled after the new ones at Disneyland would be coming to Disney World. The new monorails at Disneyland were designed to be vintage, to resemble the designs of the original monorail and what existed at Disneyland until 1987. The new monorails bring nostalgia and reflect the 1950s origins of the monorail and the park itself. Also, Disneyland's is much smaller in scale that WDW's.

Disney Worlds Monorail trains have always looked the way they did. It would seem kind of silly to give them a 1950s look. Especially going through Epcot, what we have right now looks a lot more futuristic than the 50s look of Disneyland's new fleet. I like how they are white, crisp, and clean. They call attention to themselves without being bright red and blue and are not distracting but rather elegant, not that Disneyland's look ugly. The look at Disneyland works for it while the look at WDW works for it. I would prefer if they kept the look they have now or if they were redesigned something like the Las Vegas Monorail maybe.

Though it does seem like every 20 years new trains are placed on the system. I wonder if the current fleet can continue or have their time come up?

The current fleet was only supposed to last 5 years from what I've heard elsewhere on these forums. I would love a refurb of them. but it doesn't seem likely.

And In that micechat article it says these probably wont happen. Its just want their "master" plan is. Uni did one a few years ago that has changed drastically on both coasts. Plus I just looked at it. and "a future expansion" is over Fort Wilderness.

articos

Yes, new trains are coming. No, they have not been approved yet. No, they will not look like DL's Mark VII's. No, the fleet lifespan is not 5 years. And nothing interactive added to the monorail system, which falls under transportation, not attraction. I would not read into that article at all. Nothing to see here, move along.

TP2000

Yes, new trains are coming. No, they have not been approved yet. No, they will not look like DL's Mark VII's. No, the fleet lifespan is not 5 years. And nothing interactive added to the monorail system, which falls under transportation, not attraction. I would not read into that article at all. Nothing to see here, move along.

I agree.

That said, it wouldn't hurt to give WDW's monorail fleet a big dash of the hip style and sleek tech that Disneyland's new monorail fleet now has.

Interior LED lighting in cool blue, with sleek tailfins and prismatic paint jobs like Disneyland has would go a long way in bringing the WDW fleet out of the 20th century and firmly into the 21st.

Disneyland Monorail LED Lighting After Dark - Welcome Aboard 21st Century Hipsters!
2686842489_d0e9210528_o.jpg

articos

I agree.

That said, it wouldn't hurt to give WDW's monorail fleet a big dash of the hip style and sleek tech that Disneyland's new monorail fleet now has.

Interior LED lighting in cool blue, with sleek tailfins and prismatic paint jobs like Disneyland has would go a long way in bringing the WDW fleet out of the 20th century and firmly into the 21st.

Disneyland Monorail LED Lighting After Dark - Welcome Aboard 21st Century Hipsters!
2686842489_d0e9210528_o.jpg
LED lighting is a lock for the Mark VIII's. I love the retro look of the new DL trains, but the original Mark I/II's they are based on never ran at WDW. DL's trains are also much lower capacity, as they serve a different function. Expect a sleeker version of the WDW fleet, with some homages to the past. It is widely considered within Disney that WDI hit it out of the park with the new train design.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom