Disneyland Resort in 2017: Marvel TOT retheme in DCA, Fantasmic! 2.0

GiveMeTheMusic

Original Poster
After owning the venerable brand for 7 years, Disney is finally starting to get serious about adding Marvel to its eligible properties (sorry Florida!).

As many of you may recall, a DCA Marvel land has been in development hell at WDI for some time now. It almost got an announcement at D23, with a last minute pull for reworking. Now with all the changes and tightening going on at WDI, it's unknown when this will get off the ground

In two weeks, Captain America and Spider-Man will start greeting guests in Marvel's new home, Hollywood Land. This is, however, just the beginning.

While getting a new E-ticket designed and built will take some time, look for more and more Marvel starting in 2017. I think the additions will pleasantly surprise a lot of people. This is your chance to get on the prediction wagon - how would you handle Marvel at DCA while the big new ride is coming?

Over at DL, Fantasmic will be returning next summer with ch-ch-ch-changes. While I don't have any details on what those might be, I'm hoping that it's going to be a really spectacular update. I for one can't wait! But since we don't know just what the changes will be yet, what movies or characters would you like to see represented?

I remember a proposal in the 90's to add a 20,000 Leagues scene with the Nautilus floating through the river while Mickey dressed in Nemo's red jacket played the organ onstage. That's the kind of inspired weirdness you just don't see at Disney much these days. ;)

I think Frozen is a foregone conclusion, but a Princess and the Frog scene would kill, even if it was just a Facilier scene in the villains montage with some voodoo doll dancers. How about you?

FigmentForver96

So the Marvel ride is a go or no go at this point?

As far as characters meeting in DCA, Captain America could actually work in over in Hollywood Blvd since he came from that time period theoretically. My biggest concern I guess it how they plan on wrapping the land into the rest of the park with the "California" theme. The theme is much more loose then it once was, sure, but most of the lands are still connected somehow.

Fantasmic! changes are a great thing, and Frozen is totally ok as long as they do not over play it.

GiveMeTheMusic

Original Poster
Well the only characters that can be used at WDW are Guardians of the Galaxy. Wouldn't be surprised to see something for GotG that can be done at DCA and WDW.

George Lucas on a Bench

If I were a betting man...

Frozen is most definitely going into Fantasmic. It's mandatory that Frozen be represented by a major scene in all nighttime entertainment. Anna and Elsa only on the Mark Twain? Unacceptable!

Californian Elitist

Well, what I don't want to see in Fantasmic is the Millennium Falcon showing up blasting the dragon.

I died when I read this. And I agree, but I wouldn't be surprised if a Star Wars scene did pop up in Fantasmic!, as gross as that sounds. Frozen...that's a no-brainer.

Marvel going into DCA doesn't bother me at all, even though it doesn't fit.

FigmentForver96

@WDW1974 dropped the bomb in his thread. I've been sitting on this for weeks and found it too unreal to believe, but it is indeed going forward.

Current plan is for TOT at DCA to close after Christmas for a full retheme to Guardians of the Galaxy, opening with the new movie in May.
Someone needs to be fired and then thrown into a deep pit where they can't be found. They've lost their friggin minds

mickEblu

@WDW1974 dropped the bomb in his thread. I've been sitting on this for weeks and found it too unreal to believe, but it is indeed going forward.

Current plan is for TOT at DCA to close after Christmas for a full retheme to Guardians of the Galaxy, opening with the new movie in May.

Wait... Are you frickin kiddin me?! Would this be a temporary overlay or will TOT be closing for good? I kind of got sick reading ^^^ this post.

This is really hard to believe. Retheming the tower wouldn't be a simple task and why would they ruin something that not only works so well in Hollywoodland but is great attraction that people love?

D

Deleted member 107043

All sounds good to me, especially the refreshed Fantasmic.

To answer your question I'd love to see a brand new storyline, a new score, and a showcase for characters that have been introduced since Belle and Ariel hit the scene. Basically I'm saying bye Fantasmic, hello to something fresh and new.

FigmentForver96

Ok, I do have reservations based on what's being described, but I don't see a reason to freak out just yet. Remember how alarmed everyone got about the ROA being cut in half a few months ago...
Yea but like this seems different. I can't explain why but it is. Plus that will make the thematic break in the park only worse. The giant guardians of the Galaxy ride will be looming over old hollywood.

GiveMeTheMusic

Original Poster
Wait... Are you frickin kiddin me?! Would this be a temporary overlay or will TOT be closing for good? I kind of got sick reading ^^^ this post.

This is really hard to believe. Retheming the tower wouldn't be a simple task and why would they ruin something that not only works so well in Hollywoodland but is great attraction that people love?

This would be a permanent change.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom