Expedition Everest effects status watch

matt9112

Dinosaur by the same measure you gave everest could be described as a whole experience should the vehicle tilt you through the dark and you see one carnotaurus. But clearly you expect more of that attraction to be satisfied which is why I am saying everest needs the same. I didn't understand the point of bringing up Dinosaur in the first place in regards to everest needing help which it does. But as is the attraction is not beloved or even a staple among disney attractions. And there is a reason for that, it utterly fails in it's execution beyond having a drop and a few loops. Dinosaur could use a nice refurb, everest needs a reimagining. That in itself should tell you the difference right there.

Curious what's not good about everest (opening day Everest) it brings a nice touch of real coaster to Disneys animal kingdom I think the big drop is perfect sized for what it is. The helix portion backwards is pretty cool. And the que theming and such is on point I believe. I feel it has become a great ride. It could have been better but so could a lot of things. What was the perceived execution that it missed?

Sped2424

Curious what's not good about everest (opening day Everest) it brings a nice touch of real coaster to Disneys animal kingdom I think the big drop is perfect sized for what it is. The helix portion backwards is pretty cool. And the que theming and such is on point I believe. I feel it has become a great ride. It could have been better but so could a lot of things. What was the perceived execution that it missed?
Almost everyone thinks the attraction painfully missed the mark in terms of ti's execution. As a coaster it's nothing to write home about, and as a hybrid with the dark ride elements it's PAINFULLY bare. The projection of the yeti in the cavern before you fall is awful, the entire fall through the dark is uneventful and frankly could use something. The use of the yeti as a finale animatronic that you pass by for 5 seconds was so bad in it's concept that the yeti broke down and no one knows due to how quickly you pass it by. I mean look at the concept art
745379903e9aa7407a1e89c315b2fe31.jpg

e67d8ad42e056c936ebf2e182b8b0c85.jpg

danyoung56

Almost everyone thinks the attraction painfully missed the mark in terms of ti's execution.

I would never (well, usually) go so far as to say someone is wrong. But in this case I completely disagree with you. I think the execution of Everest was fantastic, and the coaster as a ride is one of my favorites. It's a fast moving coaster, and doesn't need a bunch of stuff to look at along the way. True, the yeti is busticated, and they should have fixed it long ago. But I'd bet that if you polled the people who have ridden it, 50% of them never even saw the yeti, and 40% saw it but never noticed there was a problem. It's only us folks that are knowledgeable about things Disney who know that there's a problem that's long overdue for a fix. But it's a far cry from that knowledge to say that it's a bad attraction. Cuz in my eyes (and the eyes of probably a vast majority of riders) it just ain't true.

Sped2424

I would never (well, usually) go so far as to say someone is wrong. But in this case I completely disagree with you. I think the execution of Everest was fantastic, and the coaster as a ride is one of my favorites. It's a fast moving coaster, and doesn't need a bunch of stuff to look at along the way. True, the yeti is busticated, and they should have fixed it long ago. But I'd bet that if you polled the people who have ridden it, 50% of them never even saw the yeti, and 40% saw it but never noticed there was a problem. It's only us folks that are knowledgeable about things Disney who know that there's a problem that's long overdue for a fix. But it's a far cry from that knowledge to say that it's a bad attraction. Cuz in my eyes (and the eyes of probably a vast majority of riders) it just ain't true.
The fact that you agreed that the yeti has been broken and has gone unnoticed proves my point about it being poorly designed. A ride should not have a killer AA finale that can stay in B mode without guests noticing and still be a show stopper. Everest as an experience is ho hum and I think it's only getting by due to it being one of the very few large thrill coasters that Disney world has to offer.

Cesar R M

The fact that you agreed that the yeti has been broken and has gone unnoticed proves my point about it being poorly designed. A ride should not have a killer AA finale that can stay in B mode without guests noticing and still be a show stopper. Everest as an experience is ho hum and I think it's only getting by due to it being one of the very few large thrill coasters that Disney world has to offer.
how many people actually know the yeti moves?
The movement pretty much became a "myth" after taking so long with no repairs.
Its like Disney found a new way to keep AA off to save maintenance .
aka wait for the old generation to forget and the new one to rise and not have the knowledge.

fractal

Almost everyone thinks the attraction painfully missed the mark in terms of ti's execution. As a coaster it's nothing to write home about, and as a hybrid with the dark ride elements it's PAINFULLY bare. The projection of the yeti in the cavern before you fall is awful, the entire fall through the dark is uneventful and frankly could use something. The use of the yeti as a finale animatronic that you pass by for 5 seconds was so bad in it's concept that the yeti broke down and no one knows due to how quickly you pass it by. I mean look at the concept art
745379903e9aa7407a1e89c315b2fe31.jpg

e67d8ad42e056c936ebf2e182b8b0c85.jpg

Personally, I think the actual ride turned out better than the concept art ( when the Yeti worked ). A giant Yeti standing there growling reminds me of the old King Kong ride. Very static. The Yeti we got was much more ambitious and dynamic. The entire body in motion, hanging and leaning over while taking a swipe with a free arm. Hopefully Joe Rohde eventually makes good on his promise.

Sped2424

Personally, I think the actual ride turned out better than the concept art ( when the Yeti worked ). A giant Yeti standing there growling reminds me of the old King Kong ride. Very static. The Yeti we got was much more ambitious and dynamic. The entire body in motion, hanging and leaning over while taking a swipe with a free arm. Hopefully Joe Rohde eventually makes good on his promise.
You can't tell at all what movement the yeti in the concept art was going to have and thinking it would be static betrays what the company has already done.
images

This is how you do a giant finale AA. The Yeti in everest might as well be static given that again no one knows the difference because of how utterly quick you pass him.

hokielutz

You can't tell at all what movement the yeti in the concept art was going to have and thinking it would be static betrays what the company has already done.
images

This is how you do a giant finale AA. The Yeti in everest might as well be static given that again no one knows the difference because of how utterly quick you pass him.

You don't know the difference because of the disco lighting used in b-mode. Unless you are familiar with the ride, the effects betray the senses as you can't easily reference whether the Yeti is actually moving. When it operates and is lit per the original specs.... the movement is quick, forceful, and spectacular.

A-mode from the first year was an excellent ending to a great coaster ride. Yes it isn't a thrilling ride.... but for Disney, its up there.

FigmentPigments

images

Pardon if this is a stupid question, but what is this AA from?

FigmentPigments

I'm really glad you said this. I immediately thought of King Kong too.

Daveeeeed

Pardon if this is a stupid question, but what is this AA from?
It's from Journey to the center of the Earth in Tokyo Disney Sea. The ride uses the test track ride technology, but it is themed to Jules Verne, a mining vehicle, and Mysterious Island (which is all themed to Jules Verne). This ride is frequently regarded among the best in the world. It is also housed with the exception of the show building, in the icon of the park.

Sped2424

The fact that the yeti is broken is not subject to opinion - it IS broken, and has been for a long time. That doesn't make the entire design poor. We're just gonna have to disagree on this one.
You completely missed my point. The fact that the average guest cannot tell the difference between a broken and running show stopping finale animatronic means inherently the movement for said animatronic wasn't needed in the context it was being used for. Meaning from a design standpoint the execution for the Everest finale is poorly done.

Daveeeeed

You completely missed my point. The fact that the average guest cannot tell the difference between a broken and running show stopping finale animatronic means inherently the movement for said animatronic wasn't needed in the context it was being used for. Meaning from a design standpoint the execution for the Everest finale is poorly done.
It could also of been because it was only in operation for a few months thus not allowing many guests to even know about it in the first place...

Sped2424

It could also of been because it was only in operation for a few months thus not allowing many guests to even know about it in the first place...
The yeti broke down after a year of operation and many a commercial for Everest depicts it moving that they still horribly use today. If the typical guest went on the little mermaid and nothing moved due to it being broken do you think they would complain?

Daveeeeed

The yeti broke down after a year of operation and many a commercial for Everest depicts it moving that they still horribly use today. If the typical guest went on the little mermaid and nothing moved due to it being broken do you think they would complain?
Depends on which one it was. If it was Ursula where clearly the focus of the ride is on for a long period of time then yes. Same With Part of your World Ariel. I see where your going, but your point is like comparing the Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit's scenery to Everest's. You can't. It doesn't make a big of a difference due to honestly how well the strobe effect is done, and the speed, but in the end I guarantee for someone that has ridden it before, and clearly looked at the yeti both times they will see a noticeable improvement. When I said months by the way I meant over a year, but it was really just months of normal operation without overflow of new guests seeking to ride it. Also on your point about the design execution I agree 100% it should've gone with double viewable time, or maybe where the track switches. It is awesome where it is now, but from a return standpoint you should be able to see it more, and maybe they will slightly slow it down there for that. Only time will tell, but again it would be largely in part of how much of the average person knows about it previously. I heard many people compliment the mermaids swimming on potc, and while it was a very minor improvement the people that have ridden it before noticed it. The opposate applies for the yeti, most people didn't know it moved before. Most people cannot say that they are familiar with the yeti's movement. Seeing it on tv, which most people haven't, still isn't the same thing as seeing this massive beast come alive at you.

Last edited:

danyoung56

It's interesting to think about the situation in that light. If the yeti had continued working, would there have been discussions going on about how he's not really a strong enough impact to be a successful conclusion to the ride? Perhaps there would have been talk about moving him, or slowing the vehicle down to give more viewable time, or maybe a change in lighting and animation. I guess we'll never know.

Daveeeeed

It's interesting to think about the situation in that light. If the yeti had continued working, would there have been discussions going on about how he's not really a strong enough impact to be a successful conclusion to the ride? Perhaps there would have been talk about moving him, or slowing the vehicle down to give more viewable time, or maybe a change in lighting and animation. I guess we'll never know.
Until they fix it the yeti (please Disney, don't lie to us on this one)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom