New nighttime show 'Rivers of Light' confirmed to be coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom

danlb_2000

Premium Member
In terms of crowd flow throughout the day now at AK, what's everyone's opinions on the subject? I'm thinking that although now being hyped as "all day" folks will just arrive later in the day in order to catch the new night stuff - the evening hours will sponge up all the people, at least for the first several months of it's newness. Therefore, at least i'm hoping, that perhaps the mornings will be thinner. Sound about right?

Yeah, I think until Avatarland opens a lot of people will definitely shift their visit until later in the day.

MagicGoofy

I imagine avatar may even exacerbate this. Avatar looks like a must see at night.
I would think many guests will just adjust their visits for later in the day.

Well after Avatar opens (unless you're going to AK multiple times on you're trip) the only group of people who will be getting AK "done" in the few hours at night are the people who run from e-ticket to e-ticket and are done with the park after that.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Well after Avatar opens (unless you're going to AK multiple times on you're trip) the only group of people who will be getting AK "done" in the few hours at night are the people who run from e-ticket to e-ticket and are done with the park after that.

I wasn't thinking that people would wait until night to come, although I am sure some will, I was thinking that people might come at 1:00 or 2:00 instead of at park opening.

No Name

I think someone mentioned earlier that this night time spectacular might struggle due to their being no Disney music or characters. I think this is true. Illuminations has neither but they have fireworks which I think makes up a big difference for most people. I'm hoping it's amazing though as I want AK to have all the success it can for hope of continued investment.

I know, Everest is such an unpopular ride due to there being no Disney music or characters. :hilarious:

No, Everest is a popular ride because it's thrilling, great, and every part from the yeti museum to the ride itself is interesting or even fascinating to many. That's why it's on the top of the list of WDW's most popular rides.

This show will be amazing and that's what'll not only drive people to see it, but have lasting memories of it when they leave. Animated characters would only take away from the theme and purpose of this spectacular. I am asbolutely 100% happy with the direction they've gone with.

Kamikaze

I know, Everest is such an unpopular ride due to there being no Disney music or characters. :hilarious:

No, Everest is a popular ride because it's thrilling, great, and every part from the yeti museum to the ride itself is interesting or even fascinating to many. That's why it's on the top of the list of WDW's most popular rides.

Its also a popular ride because of its status as the only good thrill attraction in the park. Thats not to say it isn't a good attraction, but it certainly isn't without its flaws. Not having character isn't one of those flaws, but saying 'its popular because' xyz doesn't tell the whole story.

No Name

Its also a popular ride because of its status as the only good thrill attraction in the park. Thats not to say it isn't a good attraction, but it certainly isn't without its flaws. Not having character isn't one of those flaws, but saying 'its popular because' xyz doesn't tell the whole story.

Sort of true, but the park does have Dinosaur. But I see your point. And yeah, sure, I guess it has some flaws, but I think that even if there were plenty of thrill rides in the park, Everest would still pull a big line. I guess my analogy was not the best.

How about space mountain in MK, I think that's a better example. The park has plenty of IP rides like stich's great escape, buzz, etc. And plenty of rides around the same thrill level in the park. And yet space mountain is still on the top of the list for many people. It's a quality ride and it's made a name for itself, it doesn't need characters to thrive.

Soarin' is another good example. Why is Soarin' more popular than that cute Three Caballeros ride? I don't know, maybe because it's a better ride, it's made a name for itself, and it has a solid theme that matches the purpose of the park.

There are plenty of times and places for IP-based attractions, and a nighttime spectacular in the very heart of an animal-oriented park is not one of those. I'm glad Disney seems to understand that as well.

Last edited:

RSoxNo1

I think someone mentioned earlier that this night time spectacular might struggle due to their being no Disney music or characters. I think this is true. Illuminations has neither but they have fireworks which I think makes up a big difference for most people. I'm hoping it's amazing though as I want AK to have all the success it can for hope of continued investment.
It's going to struggle if it sucks, just like anything. I challenge anyone that supports IP only or non-IP only to find an example of a quality attraction that struggles regardless of the source material.

Lirael

I don't think the lack of IP content will be an issue, so long as it's good. As people have said, some of the most beloved attractions on wdw aren't IP based. besides, AK has never been mainly about IP content anyway so I can't imagine people complaining there aren't characters in RoL

culturenthrills

Well it wasn't going to happen all at once was it! Otherwise RoL may have ended up being a few twinkle lights. Whilst the show has been scaled back it should still satisfy the parks need for a nighttime multimedia show. The worry is still will there be a perceived gap in offerings from late afternoon until dusk. You know, for those guests who still expect it to be not a zoo?
That's is why adding a C level dark ride or two would have gone a long way to making this park better at night. Even with the safari, ROL and Avatar I still think they are going to have a hard time keeping people in DAK until close

MarkTwain

I wasn't thinking that people would wait until night to come, although I am sure some will, I was thinking that people might come at 1:00 or 2:00 instead of at park opening.

We've always done this, even with the current hours. It's very nice (and strange) to be walking into the park when almost everyone else is leaving; it makes for a much emptier and more enjoyable park experience.

culturenthrills

And I think that's appropriate. We have three fireworks spectaculars and Fantasmic elsewhere. RoL should be artistic and beautiful to watch--perfect for DAK. Some will undoubtedly complain that it's not explosive enough.

I would suggest folks think of the middle four minutes of IllumiNations where there are no fireworks, but beautiful (though arguably too small and too far away) visuals with outstanding score. Imagine that, but closer with appropriate scale and longer than four minutes. People like my wife who call that portion a snooze-fest might be let-down by RoL, though I hope the fact that the imagery will be much closer to guests will make it more compelling. Those fountains way out in World Showcase Lagoon aren't terribly impressive due to their distance from guests.

I'm waiting for the rubes to complain about the lack of Disney characters in ROL. Still surprised that management didn't make them shoehorn some in esp considering how much they have messed with World of Color.

djkidkaz

This show will be amazing and that's what'll not only drive people to see it, but have lasting memories of it when they leave. Animated characters would only take away from the theme and purpose of this spectacular. I am asbolutely 100% happy with the direction they've gone with.

Everest is a coaster with physical thrills, I don't consider that an appropriate comparison.

I'm not one who condones putting characters in everything, I was just stating that I think many people will see it and not have the same enthusiasm for it as other nighttime spectaculars. Are kids going to be moved by the message of conservation and sharing the planet with animals? Kids like the parts of illuminations where there are fireworks blowing up. I don't know how many times I've stood next to families with kids during the globe segment on the kids are antsy asking "is that it?".

Personally I'm fine with rivers of light. I hope it's emotional and has a great score and some neat effects. I'm just hoping it's exciting enough for others to warrant coming back over and over to see it again.

olie64

I hope so that mean opening till then will be less cowrd. We always go open to close most of the time. AK is best in the mornings.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom