The Spirited 11th Hour ...

mickEblu

It will be around for a while. I don't see it leaving even when they open Star Wars Land (God, that sounds so wrong). It likely won't be there in a decade, though.

Lol, I sure hope they don't call it Star Wars land! So with all factors considered I predicted that Star Tours at DL would be going to Yesterland between 2-3 years from the time SWL opens. Looks like it's staying around a lot longer than I thought. It just seems really sloppy to me when a SWL exists on the other side of the park. But then again TL has been an ugly thematic mess for a while.

JediMasterMatt

I see no way it is ready by that time in FL. I think it still is a 2020 type of deal ... but that is opinion.

I'm still going off of the original timing of what I heard when I was told about SWL. DL first. Orlando after. How soon DL is coming shouldn't be a surprise. It's got all of their focus. '18 and '20 wouldn't surprise me in the least.

The only way I see things changing in Florida is if TSL gets developed at lightspeed. Which is theoretically possible considering how little there is to do with it in comparison to SWL. Ambitious TSL is not.

Chappie wants things done quicker in O-Town as well. But there are more difficulties in the swamps because they are rebuilding 75% of a park while it is open, including new parking structures. I see no way it is ready by that time in FL. I think it still is a 2020 type of deal ... but that is opinion.

Thanks for information, especially the 2020 timeframe.

skyphotographer

That goes without saying.

I get why people visit the MK. Even with crappy show quality and stale entertainment, the park has lots to see and do. I get why people visit DAK as it's beautiful and lush and they continually are adding and improving it.

But I honestly can't get why people visit the corpses of EPCOT Center and The Disney-MGM Studios. In the latter case I can honestly say there is far more to see and more quality at the WDSP -- the worst park Disney has ever built.

Studios will be a totally different place come 2020. EPCOT ... not so sure about because it works as the world's largest bar and food court.

I wouldn't mind seeing EPCOT move further in this direction. Maybe I should say WS. They could put in a couple more music stages and have mini-concerts year round. That has become my favorite thing to do at night in EPCOT (live music).

Last edited:

Sped2424

What was that you mentioned about fantasyland for disneyland? Is an expansion being considered if so that's impecable. And what are your thoughts on the soon to be cut third attraction for star wars land this kinetic mover around the area?

asianway

What was that you mentioned about fantasyland for disneyland? Is an expansion being considered if so that's impecable. And what are your thoughts on the soon to be cut third attraction for star wars land this kinetic mover around the area?
Fantasyland expansion = ToontownWest

hopemax

Yay! New Spirit thread. The last one was getting unwieldy.

In another place, I commented that this move, I think, is "positive." But was concerned with, did it come from a place of really "getting it" (we'll never get old school WED, but even Eisner's 80's WDI would be better) vs some level of basic recognition of how messed up WDI had become (well-run businesses don't require the amount of money funneled to fix DCA, HKDL, WDSP and now DHS with Epcot needing just as much) and knowing the next several projects HAVE to deliver. No gold stars for recognizing that your current model is broken (maybe, an "about 'insert favorite expletive' time!").

As far as the parks are concerned, WDI is only half the equation. Operations being the other half. It doesn't really matter if WDI comes up with some really nice stuff, if in 6 months or a few years, piece by piece gets removed because it's not in the park's maintenance budget. I can only imagine what WDW Operations would do with all the interactive wand spots in WWoHP. I forgot whether it was here or LP, where someone said they were following WDW Managers at DL and they were pointing out all the "wasteful" elements that they should just eliminate to help the bottom line. That has really stuck with me, and makes it so I can't get excited about any of the pretty artwork.

njDizFan

I think the most important section of your post is the suppositions on how Weis landed his new gig.

So what are the choices?

1) the good soldier/reward for DCA/Shanghai
2) He knows where the graves are buried and was hinting at a tell-all
3) Our fearless leaders finally came to an understanding that he is the best and only real candidate

Hmm...can you give us a hint?

2) sounds like it's the hardest to beleive and probably the correct answer

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
I'm all for budget cutting in WDI as long as it's done properly...meaning cutting of Imagineers spending millions of dollars studying and having expensive dinners discussing new attractions vs. cost cutting what goes into the attractions themselves.

yeah!!! enough with studying your art and eating at 5 diamond restaurants every night!!!

ShoalFox

In the Parks
Yes
Sometimes I feel like all these redevelopments are coming much too late, especially in the case of DHS. By the time the focus shifts to Epcot, it will probably be much too late to save the park. Well, it is Disney; they can pull off things no other company is capable of doing.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom