Fantasyland Rumor Gaining Steam

mickEblu

Original Poster
Is it really feasible to believe a Fantasyland expansion and 14-acre Star Wars Land will be constructed at/around the same time? I think if this is something that really may come to pass it wouldn't begin until the later stages of SWL construction or even completion.

I'm thinking somewhere around late 2017.

Curious Constance

I would be really excited about a Fantasyland expansion. Not sure what I'd like to see go in there, except, I'd love a Be Our Guest type of restaurant.

GiveMeTheMusic

Be Our Guest is likely to remain a WDW exclusive. Tokyo didn't want it, and DL shouldn't either - it's a giant waste of space when what TDL and DL need are more attractions and capacity. There's no great demand for table service dining at DL; we'd be much better served (as TDL will be soon) with a Beauty and the Beast ride instead of a restaurant.

Curious Constance

Be Our Guest is likely to remain a WDW exclusive. Tokyo didn't want it, and DL shouldn't either - it's a giant waste of space when what TDL and DL need are more attractions and capacity. There's no great demand for table service dining at DL; we'd be much better served (as TDL will be soon) with a Beauty and the Beast ride instead of a restaurant.
Seems like there aren't enough dining options at The Disneyland Resort. Is that because it's got so much competition from surrounding restaurants?

mickEblu

Original Poster

A BATB ride over BOG would definitely have my vote but I guess that would be the case for the vast majority.

dweezil78

Does anyone know how valid this rumor even is? I feel like Fantasyland is the land the least in need of an expansion at Disneyland and it seems like Toontown would be better served as a future expansion for SWL at some point down the line given its proximity to the new land.

GiveMeTheMusic

Seems like there aren't enough dining options at The Disneyland Resort. Is that because it's got so much competition from surrounding restaurants?

There are plenty of great dining options at Disneyland, they just aren't table service. WDW has guests coming in on a dining plan and needing to have table service each day, so they have a bigger push for those kinds of offerings in the parks. DLR has no such demand - the table service options they offer aren't booked solid or anything. Most guests seem perfectly content with the Plaza Inn, French Market, etc.

So while BOG isn't a bad thing, it would be if it meant not getting a people eating attraction instead, as that's what DL needs.

Last edited:

mickEblu

Original Poster
Does anyone know how valid this rumor even is? I feel like Fantasyland is the land the least in need of an expansion at Disneyland and it seems like Toontown would be better served as a future expansion for SWL at some point down the line given its proximity to the new land.

IMO 14 acres is more than enough room for SWL in Disneyland. If they want to expand then it should be at the Simba lot or a third gate.

Your right Fantasyland doesn't NEED an expansion but we all know Disney wants a Frozen attraction ( which I'm sure is the catalyst for this expansion) at DLR ASAP. So where better then Fantasyland? Personally I would rather have this real estate be filled with some more Disney IPs like Frozen, BATB etc. Sure, Frozen wouldnt be my first choice for an FL expansion but better that then Toontown ( in its continued run down state ) being a placeholder for another 8 acres of Star Wars. Let's get some variety with the IPs at DL. There is very limited room to expand and we have classics like BATB, Cinderella and Mary Poppins that have no significant presence at the park. I know, the latter two IPs don't have a shot in hell as being part of the expansion.

Last edited:

mickEblu

Original Poster
There are plenty of great dining options at Disneyland, they just aren't table service. WDW has guests coming in on a dining plan and needing to have table service each day, so they have a bigger push for those kinds of offerings in the parks. DLR has no such demand - the table service options they offer aren't booked solid or anything. Most guests seen perfectly content with the Plaza Inn, French Market, etc.

So while BOG isn't a bad thing, it would be if it meant not getting a people eating attraction instead, as that's what DL needs.

This makes a lot of sense and makes me think your right and we probably won't be getting a BOG restaurant. Unless of course this may be one of those "build it and they ll come" scenarios. I'm not really sure what kind of amazing experience this restaurant offers as I have not been there but it seems to have really positive reviews. I also don't know how big BOG is. So if this restaurant were to take up even 1/3 of the expansion space I would be against it. I'll take an extra ride anyday. I can have decent theme park food at any of the other table service restaurants. My favorite meal at DL isn't even located at a table service restaurant, it's at the Plaza Inn.

Californian Elitist

It has been decades since another table service was put in Disneyland. I've seen longer lines for the French Market and the Plaza Inn than for any of the table service spots at the park. For the most part, Disneylanders just don't care for table service.

I wouldn't mind seeing a quality quick service spot go up in Fantasyland. The selections at Village Haus just aren't very good, except for the salad. Tomorrowland desperately needs a quality food spot, even more so than Fantasyland.

IMFearless

BOG is a large building not dissimilar in size to our Mermaid ride. The space functions as quick service during the day and changes to table service in the evening. It is more than a restaurant in a sense, but less than an actual attraction. It certainly takes theme park dining to a new level of immersion. You have a meet and greet with the Beast in the evening as well as some really cool walk through features. I think it has been a welcome addition to Fantasyland which always lacked decent food in my opinion.

mickEblu

Original Poster
BOG is a large building not dissimilar in size to our Mermaid ride. The space functions as quick service during the day and changes to table service in the evening. It is more than a restaurant in a sense, but less than an actual attraction. It certainly takes theme park dining to a new level of immersion. You have a meet and greet with the Beast in the evening as well as some really cool walk through features. I think it has been a welcome addition to Fantasyland which always lacked decent food in my opinion.

Sounds cool and not like anything we have at DL. But I'll take a Mystic Manor style BATB Ride if it came down to having one or another. Would anyone know if the FL 3.0 $$$ would be coming out of the 1.5 billion dollar budget? That's a lot of money but after the New parking lot and a 14 acre Star Wars land how much could possibly be left? Having enough left for a Frozen attraction and BATB ride ( hopefully on the level of Mystic Manor) would seem unlikely. Which brings up another question for me. We all know why Frozen is being considered. But why is BATB the only older fairy tale IP aside from Mermaid that is considered by Disney? At this point BATB is 24 years old. So I don't imagine it's a huge money maker. I would enjoy a BATB ride and do realize the story lends itself perfectly for an attraction but why does it seem like old(er) classics like Mary Poppins, Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty, Fantasia, etc have no shot at getting an attraction?

Last edited:

captainmoch

BATB simply doesn't have a huge park prescience, at least not until recently with NFL. Most of the other princesses/famous animated classics before that have park representation, right up to Mermaid. So stuff from BATB and onward (Tangled, PATF, etc.) is probably their priority in bringing into parks. At least that's how I see it.

lazyboy97o

BATB simply doesn't have a huge park prescience, at least not until recently with NFL. Most of the other princesses/famous animated classics before that have park representation, right up to Mermaid. So stuff from BATB and onward (Tangled, PATF, etc.) is probably their priority in bringing into parks. At least that's how I see it.
Disney has never been concerned with such notions of fair presence.

ght

This looks fantastic. The reason I wouldn't want a Frozen subland is because it would most likely mean that would be the only IP we get with an FL expansion. Especially if it is anywhere near the size and scope of the concept art above
Well I agree I would prefer multiple IPs but if it is a push for Frozen in the parks (not saying it is, just if that ends up being the case) I would much rather they go the TDS route than the EPCOT route and do something like turning Rodger Rabbit into "Olaf's Snowman Spin" and calling it a day.

mickEblu

Original Poster
Well I agree I would prefer multiple IPs but if it is a push for Frozen in the parks (not saying it is, just if that ends up being the case) I would much rather they go the TDS route than the EPCOT route and do something like turning Rodger Rabbit into "Olaf's Snowman Spin" and calling it a day.

I agree , that would be the lesser of two "evils."

mickEblu

Original Poster
Disney has never been concerned with such notions of fair presence.

Right, if they did we would have some sort of Lion King presence at DL for sure. I'm just trying to figure out why BATB, a 24 years old IP is the only IP that's not relatively new ( Tangled , Frozen ) that seems to be considered for new attractions/ restaurants, at least in the states.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom