News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

Luxe

I know how Epcot was in the early 1990's and Epcot always been my favorite WDW theme park dating back to my first trip in the early 1990's.

I disagree with you to a point that Cartoon or movie IP's shouldn't be used in Epcot. It is what or how the IPS are used in Epcot is the problem. Disney used Lion King IP properly for Circle of Life: An Environmental Fable, but not for Nemo ride and Frozen. Circle of Life fits due to attraction actually is about the environment with the Lion King Characters being used for learning purposes.

The ride in Nemo was a mistake due to the fact it actually didn't nothing at all for learning it terms of the ride itself. The ride has Nemo wondering around again with his dad trying to find him and that is not learning at all.

People talk a lot how Nemo wasn't done right and to some extent I agree BUT I don't think that the on ride adventure has to include the learning aspect. There's the whole aquarium section when you get off of the ride where you can explore and learn about all sorts of sea life. The cast members are rather knowledgeable and are glad to share information with you. I see the actual ride as a transition into the learning environment that's offered after you exit the ride. Seeing Nemo and friends gets the little ones excited and maybe they will stick around after to explore the sea life that's being offered.

HauntedMansionFLA

People talk a lot how Nemo wasn't done right and to some extent I agree BUT I don't think that the on ride adventure has to include the learning aspect. There's the whole aquarium section when you get off of the ride where you can explore and learn about all sorts of sea life. The cast members are rather knowledgeable and are glad to share information with you. I see the actual ride as a transition into the learning environment that's offered after you exit the ride. Seeing Nemo and friends gets the little ones excited and maybe they will stick around after to explore the sea life that's being offered.
Plus Finding Dory will be out soon and will bring interest back to this franchise.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
For better or for worse, try to imagine what The Seas with Nemo would have been like had the budget been full.

Yes it COULD have been amazing, I thought the ORIGINAL theme was better, Perhaps Nemo could have integrated neatly into the original theme. Like at DL on the sub ride where Nemo and friends show up in the middle and you hear the recording of the XO asking the skipper whether to put this in the log sir?, No, No one will believe it really happened. That's the kind of touch Disney USED to be known for.

Kman101

Why wasn't Timekeeper kept for decades like most everything else is? I liked it too. I actually haven't sat foot in Monsters Laugh Floor but for what it is, people come away enjoying it and it surprises them they liked it so much. It's not the right place for it but at this point it's clear those in charge see Tomorrowland as Sci-Fi City instead where they can shove their alien/monster/space stuff.

NiarrNDisney

That is a great idea...if only Disney relased Book Of Life, it might have happened... But i hear there is another Dia De Los Muertos film project in the works...so it is possible. The "Where's Donald" version of the Rio Del Tiempo is really awful...they cvan do better....and really should. ..it was just plain lazy...

Yes and the movies called Coco :)

OneDNP

Originally, I was in the "Nemo is a horrendous dumbing down/bring back The Living Seas" crowd. Now that I have a toddler, I agree with your perspective. My kid spent an hour in the aquarium and tank areas - we had to drag him out for nap time. I find the Nemo overlay at the DL sub ride worse just because it is really awkward how it is executed.

FigmentJedi

Why wasn't Timekeeper kept for decades like most everything else is? I liked it too. I actually haven't sat foot in Monsters Laugh Floor but for what it is, people come away enjoying it and it surprises them they liked it so much. It's not the right place for it but at this point it's clear those in charge see Tomorrowland as Sci-Fi City instead where they can shove their alien/monster/space stuff.
9/11 made the New York scene super awkward.

Miss Heinous

Opinion is not fact. Just because "you don't see a problem" doesn't mean others are wrong to do so. Nor does it make them stubborn.

IP tie ins do work when executed correctly. See Tower of Terror, Star Tours, parts of the MK for example.
Then what is the problem with Baymax being added to Innoventions where there is currently nothing but a plywood wall?

FrankLapidus

I think Baymax being used as part of some sort of exhibit looking at the development of 'soft robotics' would be a pretty good addition. I read up on it a little after coming across an article about Disney using it to develop the character during production of Big Hero 6 and I thought it was an interesting concept.

I don't like the idea of overloading Epcot with characters from Disney and Pixar films but I do think there could be a place for those that do have a legitimate educational or cultural tie to the park. Baymax, 'soft robotics' and its potential to aid healthcare might just be a way to tie Innoventions to something being explored and developed today in the field of robotics that is actually innovative.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
I like the idea of putting characters in Epcot. It's the only way the park isn't going to fail based on Disney's reputation.. But still keeping a part of the culture of each WS pavilion.

Disney themed attractions in each pavilion..

3 Cabelleros - Mexico
Frozen - Norway
Aladdin - Morocco
Brother Bear 360 3D film - Canada
Mulan/Mushu - Narrators for a new 360 film talking about the history and culture of china
Ratatouille - New ride in France
Snow White or Tangled - Germany
The Secret World of Arrietty - Japan

Tron or Tomorrowland - Universe of Energy
Wall-E - Circle of Life Theatre
Big Hero 6 - Wonders of Life Pavilion
Inside Out - Imagination Pavilion
Finding Nemo - The Living Seas
Mission: Space - As is.
Spaceship Earth - As is.
Test Track - As is.
Soarin' - As is.
Living with the Land - As is.
The American Adventure - As is.

Last edited:

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Originally, I was in the "Nemo is a horrendous dumbing down/bring back The Living Seas" crowd. Now that I have a toddler, I agree with your perspective. My kid spent an hour in the aquarium and tank areas - we had to drag him out for nap time. I find the Nemo overlay at the DL sub ride worse just because it is really awkward how it is executed.

I'm glad your toddler loves it, I'd rather have something that causes a 'tween's imagination to catch fire and inspire them to become an oceanographer, marine biologist or engineer or perhaps a fish farmer or just perhaps for the first time experience the wonder that is the oceans since they cover 70% of our planet.

FigmentJedi

I like the idea of putting characters in Epcot. It's the only way the park isn't going to fail based on Disney's reputation.. But still keeping a part of the culture of each WS pavilion.

Disney themed attractions in each pavilion..

3 Cabelleros - Mexico
Frozen - Norway
Aladdin - Morocco
Brother Bear 360 3D film - Canada
Mulan/Mushu - Narrators for a new 360 film talking about the history and culture of china
Ratatouille - New ride in France
Snow White or Tangled - Germany
The Secret World of Arrietty - Japan
Brother Bear - Canada

Tron or Tomorrowland - Universe of Energy
Wall-E - Circle of Life Theatre
Big Hero 6 - Wonders of Life Pavilion
Inside Out - Imagination Pavilion
Finding Nemo - The Living Seas
You have no idea how much I'm cringing from reading that post right now. Cartoons in WS everywhere aside, why Arietty for Japan? Even if Ghibli wanted to play ball with Disney on a theme park (It's solely a distribution relationship and Miyazaki's very much against super commercial stuff like theme parks and video games), it's one of their lower tier films and based on an British book series to boot.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I think Baymax being used as part of some sort of exhibit looking at the development of 'soft robotics' would be a pretty good addition. I read up on it a little after coming across an article about Disney using it to develop the character during production of Big Hero 6 and I thought it was an interesting concept.

I don't like the idea of overloading Epcot with characters from Disney and Pixar films but I do think there could be a place for those that do have a legitimate educational or cultural tie to the park. Baymax, 'soft robotics' and its potential to aid healthcare might just be a way to tie Innoventions to something being explored and developed today in the field of robotics that is actually innovative.

Correct 'soft robotics' is starting to become a thing and Baymax is an example of what a 'soft' robot could be.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
You have no idea how much I'm cringing from reading that post right now. Cartoons in WS everywhere aside, why Arietty for Japan? Even if Ghibli wanted to play ball with Disney on a theme park (It's solely a distribution relationship and Miyazaki's very much against super commercial stuff like theme parks and video games), it's one of their lower tier films and based on an British book series to boot.

Agree - Characters do not belong in EPCOT

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom