DHS Permit

Goofnut1980

There are light bulbs. That tell you. If the spot. Is open. Let that sink in.

And don't get me started on the gardens growing down the side of the building.

yea our Macys here in Columbus built a big ol garage with those little lights and they work... The ones in half of the garage at Springs didn't work in September when we were there... It's comical.

mikeh

I found another map in the permit that actually shows the new entrance from Victory Way connecting into one of the new sections of land.

I believe that small slit of land is actually classified as undeveloped, while the surrounding area is wetland. It would make sense that they utilize that as an entrance.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
I believe that small slit of land is actually classified as undeveloped, while the surrounding area is wetland. It would make sense that they utilize that as an entrance.

If you are referring to land the new entrance road is on, then no, that is all wetlands.

chiefs11

I found another map in the permit that actually shows the new entrance from Victory Way connecting into one of the new sections of land. The two blue areas I have circled are new bridges over the canal. Based on this it looks like the red area on the right side of the picture will be a new toll plaza. You will enter from the road on the right side go through the plaza and then take the top bridge into the parking lot. The lower bridge is probably for an exit since it lines up with the new road that would go in the other direction. Not sure what this means for the current entrance road from the south of the park. There have also been rumors that the current north entrance would become a bus only entrance which makes sense. Also, the red areas in the parking lot which are grassy median will be removed according to the permit.

View attachment 116799
You can infer from the first 2 maps you posted on page one that the current entrance road will be removed. There is a new cloverleaf from Osceola Eastbound to World Drive Northbound that would conflict with the existing entrance road. Plus, there is a new direct ramp from World Drive Northbound that loops around the new Victory Way interchange directly into the new entrance.

Last edited:

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
You can infer from the first 2 maps you posted on page one that the current entrance road will be removed. There is a new cloverleaf from Oscela Eastbound to World Drive Northbound that would conflict with the existing entrance road. Plus, there is a new direct ramp from World Drive Northbound that loops around the new Victory Way interchange directly into the new entrance.

Yeah, that makes sense to me.

halltd

You can infer from the first 2 maps you posted on page one that the current entrance road will be removed. There is a new cloverleaf from Oscela Eastbound to World Drive Northbound that would conflict with the existing entrance road. Plus, there is a new direct ramp from World Drive Northbound that loops around the new Victory Way interchange directly into the new entrance.
Isn't the "construction access road" on the permit the current main entrance?

RayTheFirefly

Your comment got me thinking. Isn't that area full of fuel and water pipes and lots of other infrastructure needed for that scene? I have no expert (or any!) knowledge in this area, but it seems to me that the demolition and cleanup of that area would require significant hazmat efforts. It would need to be done, of course, but might not be as fast as just leveling a building, for example.

Does anyone have the type of expert knowledge to comment on the type of special demolition and cleanup that would be required for the canyon area?
I don't have expert-level knowledge, but gas stations are demolished and the sites remediated all the time, and it's not a huge deal. It will be slightly more complicated than a normal building, but completely doable and not really that much more effort.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
Your comment got me thinking. Isn't that area full of fuel and water pipes and lots of other infrastructure needed for that scene? I have no expert (or any!) knowledge in this area, but it seems to me that the demolition and cleanup of that area would require significant hazmat efforts. It would need to be done, of course, but might not be as fast as just leveling a building, for example.

Does anyone have the type of expert knowledge to comment on the type of special demolition and cleanup that would be required for the canyon area?

I don't think that would be an issue. The main gas supply tank for the canyon was removed over the past year, so it's very possible that there is nothing hazardous left in the area. You can also compare this to Jaws over at Universal which used a lot of fire effects but was cleared pretty quickly.

dstrawn9889

once the natural gas and propane is evacuated from the pipes... nothing that i know of is hazardous

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Since this is getting interesting I stuck a composite together concentrating on the road layout. It's been a while since I've done one of these!

Untitled-1 copy.jpg

Last edited:

Hitmanatee

May be off in my observation of the permits, but what intrigues me is the new "entrance" that hooks the existing Osceola Pkwy-to-northbound-World-Drive ramp (currently flies over World-Drive-to-Studios entrance) into the existing World Dr. entrance. See attached.

As others have suggested, it seems to me the World Dr. entrance will be closed and will be temporarily used as a construction-only entrance into the back of the park.

And, eventually, there is slated to be a grade-separated entrance from Osceola Parkway, which will be fed by World Dr., Victory Way, etc.

So, why the new ramp shown in the attached?

Perhaps a temporary entrance via Osceola Pkwy. until the new Victory Way entrance is complete? Or, maybe this ramp will be a CM-only entrance to new CM parking to be located on that side of the park?

Thoughts?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-10-29 at 4.57.45 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-10-29 at 4.57.45 PM.png
    566.2 KB · Views: 409

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
May be off in my observation of the permits, but what intrigues me is the new "entrance" that hooks the existing Osceola Pkwy-to-northbound-World-Drive ramp (currently flies over World-Drive-to-Studios entrance) into the existing World Dr. entrance. See attached.

As others have suggested, it seems to me the World Dr. entrance will be closed and will be temporarily used as a construction-only entrance into the back of the park.

And, eventually, there is slated to be a grade-separated entrance from Osceola Parkway, which will be fed by World Dr., Victory Way, etc.

So, why the new ramp shown in the attached?

Perhaps a temporary entrance via Osceola Pkwy. until the new Victory Way entrance is complete? Or, maybe this ramp will be a CM-only entrance to new CM parking to be located on that side of the park?

Thoughts?

Yes, they will need to build the construction entrance soon, so the current entrance will need to re-configured a bit to accommodate that. That will continue to be the main entrance until the new one is built. The new entrance is not part of this permit, so it's not clear when they plan to start work on that.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom