Toy Story Land expansion announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

JessieLightyear

First post here, been following along for a while... Pixar just announced today that Toy Story 4 has been pushed back to June 2018, putting Cars 3 in its original 2017 slot. Will this have an impact on Toy Story Land's opening date? I know late 2017/early 2018 was being suggested by those in the know - but if the land is to have elements or characters from the new movie, will they now have to wait to coincide with the film's release?

danlb_2000

Premium Member
First post here, been following along for a while... Pixar just announced today that Toy Story 4 has been pushed back to June 2018, putting Cars 3 in its original 2017 slot. Will this have an impact on Toy Story Land's opening date? I know late 2017/early 2018 was being suggested by those in the know - but if the land is to have elements or characters from the new movie, will they now have to wait to coincide with the film's release?

Based on the concept art it doesn't look like there is anything and the backstory I don't see the new land have any references to the new movie. The back story is that Andy built this whole land in his back yard, so this land would be set around the time of the first movie.

ToTBellHop

No.

JessieLightyear

Based on the concept art it doesn't look like there is anything and the backstory I don't see the new land have any references to the new movie. The back story is that Andy built this whole land in his back yard, so this land would be set around the time of the first movie.

I agree, everything we've seen or heard refers to Andy. I was just wondering if there were any aspects of it that might cause a delay, including wanting to time the land's opening with the movie's release. Thanks! :)

DisUniversal

And when Toy Story Land opens there will be 4 Toy Story attractions. It is the most well represented intellectual property in theme parks around the world.
I think the Wizarding World of Harry Potter is the most well represented intellectual property in theme parks around the world and will continue to be so for a long time to come. They already have 5 ride based attractions in the Orlando parks alone with construction of new "Wizarding World's" happening in California and Japan.

DisneyOutsider

I think the Wizarding World of Harry Potter is the most well represented intellectual property in theme parks around the world and will continue to be so for a long time to come. They already have 5 ride based attractions in the Orlando parks alone with construction of new "Wizarding World's" happening in California and Japan.

Yeah but isn't one of those rides in Orlando just a roller coaster that they slapped Harry Potter's name onto?

DDLand

I'm not so sure about that. While you could definitely say the rides are better quality or something to that effect, Toy Story should easily trump HP.
1)Disneyland- 2 Toy Story
2)WDW- 2 Toy Story (soon to be 4)
3)Tokyo Disney- 2 Toy Story
4)Disneyland Paris- 4 Toy Story
5)Hong Kong Disneyland- 4 Toy Story (soon to be 5)
6)Shanghai Disney- Soon to be 1

There are 14 currently operating Toy Story rides, and soon to be 18 globally. Which is insane.

Hong Kong Disneyland takes the cake for the most TS attractions with a total of 4 in one park. They're still adding more TS too, most recently a Andy's Toy Box shop and TSMM still on the way eventually according to last word from Spirit.

HP is trumped pretty easily.

Last edited:

Bocabear

I'm not so sure about that. While you could definitely say the rides are better quality or something to that effect, Toy Story should easily trump HP.
1)Disneyland- 2 Toy Story
2)WDW- 2 Toy Story (soon to be 4)
3)Tokyo Disney- 2 Toy Story
4)Disneyland Paris- 4 Toy Story
5)Hong Kong Disneyland- 4 Toy Story (soon to be 5)
6)Shanghai Disney- Soon to be 1

Currently there are 14 currently operating Toy Story rides, and soon to be 18 globally. Which is insane.

Hong Kong Disneyland takes the cake for the most TS attractions with a total of 4 in one park. They're still adding more TS too, most recently a Andy's Toy Box shop and TSMM still on the way eventually according to last word from Spirit.

HP is trumped pretty easily.
I think they meant well represented in terms of Completely immersive land experiences... as in Harry Potter's London and Hogwarts... Toy Story is represented by a few single attraction, but necessarily a whole "land" The Trolley Park is the most fleshed out concept, and even that is not even nearly as immersive and well done as Harry Potter has been done.
Cars Land was amazingly well done, but we are not discussing Carsland here...

DDLand

I think they meant well represented in terms of Completely immersive land experiences... as in Harry Potter's London and Hogwarts... Toy Story is represented by a few single attraction, but necessarily a whole "land" The Trolley Park is the most fleshed out concept, and even that is not even nearly as immersive and well done as Harry Potter has been done.
Cars Land was amazingly well done, but we are not discussing Carsland here...
Here's the statement that was being questioned:
And when Toy Story Land opens there will be 4 Toy Story attractions. It is the most well represented intellectual property in theme parks around the world.
He's talking numbers, and the post I specifically quoted also included numbers too. Number of attractions is what they're talking about. Now I would agree that in terms of depth and reach HP is ahead of the two Toy Story Playlands in existence.

We'll see what Toy Story Land does to the spectrum...

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
I would imagine that a well-done Villain themed land would be more of a draw than Indiana Jones and Avatar. Star Wars is obviously the crown jewel of IPs.

Would you rank a villain themed land more popular to young adults over a well-themed Marvel land?? (I'm just curious by your opinion. I know it isn't leaving Universal Studios... But since Disney owns the rights..)

HauntedMansionFLA

I would imagine that a well-done Villain themed land would be more of a draw than Indiana Jones and Avatar. Star Wars is obviously the crown jewel of IPs.
If done right, Indiana Jones could have a top notch area. Just look at the dark ride at DLR and the roller coaster / area at DisneySeas. Yes, a villains area would be great but coils be hard to mix all of the different IP's in one area.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom