Big changes coming to Annual Passes

betty rose

Well, for me this is actually a savings. We don't go during the busiest seasons and could actually get the Silver Pass for $389 and have that cover all of our travel dates next year. I don't need PhotoPass and will gladly get a pass for $200 less than our current passes.

I can't see THAT many people being angry about this. Don't most folks with APs prefer to avoid crazy crowd season?
Not us, we have Grandkids in school, and go during summer, and fall break.

betty rose

Is there any DVC discount anymore?

Wow! What a price hike. I guess the record profits are not quite enough. This will help some FL residents, but I see a massive reduction in AP's over the next year with non-residents no longer finding value. Also the TIW jumping $50 is insane. This sounds like the start of the TIW phasing out.
I thought the same thing about TIW. Not getting one of those this year, can't justify it.

Baltar

$4 billion for EPCOT
Honestly non-florida residents are royally screwed under this new system. I personally go with season passes and for the most part it seems I should be fine...other then the price increase...

Agreed. I just look at it as I am less than 6 hours from WDW (in Ga) and I was considering multiple trips per year for the first time in about 4 years. Then this happened. Now, I'll probably skip 2016 due to construction and go again in 2017. That's fine if Disney wants to go that way but no way will I just blindly accept every change. I'll just take next year's money and add it to another trip or the master bath remodel my wife wants. LOL

Skyway

With it being years before anything new is actually open and functioning at WDW, it's an odd time to choose to churn some of your most repeat customers like this.

Or is it?

WDW is practically losing 1 of its 4 parks for the next few years.

I imagine this price hike is intentionally being done to thin out the passholder ranks, freeing up capacity for bigger-spending out-of-towers, while still taking money from diehards who remain eager to pay more for much much less.

Then, when the new additions open, those who were deterred from buying passes during DHS construction will likely be excited to pay even higher prices.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Or is it?

WDW is practically losing 1 of its 4 parks for the next few years.

I imagine this price hike is intentionally being done to thin out the passholder ranks, freeing up capacity for bigger-spending out-of-towers, while still taking money from diehards who remain eager to pay more for much much less.

Then, when the new additions open, those who were deterred from buying passes during DHS construction will likely be excited to pay even higher prices.
Despite the objection, I think most will still renew their passes. Given the choice of accepting the price hike, or not stepping foot in the parks again, I think most are going to accept the price increase.

betty rose

I can see the biggest complaint is those with the old regular AP with no blockouts and no photo pass have to pay $128 more to get the comparable pass (Platinum) with no blockouts and photo pass. They need a tier costing less than platinum with no blockouts and no photo pass. Don't know if it would be between silver and gold or gold and platinum. I suspect having no blockouts is more desired than having PP.
Our family has no reason to use photo pass, hubby bought a nice enough camera, for much less that one pass (gold), and we like to take our own pictures. Many people are willing or even offer to take our pictures, when they see us as a couple. No incentive for me.

disney4life2008

Despite the objection, I think most will still renew their passes. Given the choice of accepting the price hike, or not stepping foot in the parks again, I think most are going to accept the price increase.

As a solo traveler and visitor, im in this boat. Disneyworld is the only extravagance i give myself and as long as i have the discretionary funds, i will renew. However, I am feeling that the prices are outweiging the benefits.

JohnD

The tiers need improving. I've already said they need a tier with no blockouts and no PP.

No one asked but here is how I would have done it:

Silver (no change): Blockouts and no PP

Silver Plus (current Gold): Blockouts and PP

Gold (NEW): no blockouts and no PP

Gold Plus (current Platinum): no blockouts and PP

Platinum (current Platinum Plus): no blockouts, PP, water parks, golf courses, etc

OvertheHorizon

For quite a few years my wife and I came to Florida for two weeks in the winter time. We studied all of the ticket options in advance and weighed the options. We would buy 1 annual pass (in order to get the included parking) and then buy a ten day pass for the other person.

Now that I'm a Florida resident, I bought the annual pass. I didn't buy the one with blackout dates - which would have been fine for me, since I don't visit the parks during busy times anyway. But I got one with full access thinking that if some of my northern friends wanted to visit during Christmas, summer, or spring break, I'd be able to join them in the parks. I'm already weighing the cost/benefit of the new plans. I'll most likely buy the one with the Christmas and spring break blackouts. If friends come to visit me at that time, I'll just have to say, "Have fun."

Those platinum rates for non-Florida residents seem (to me) geared for the pass holders who brag about using their annual pass one year for two weeks, and then using it again in the two weeks before it expires.

Baltar

$4 billion for EPCOT
I'm surprised Disney didn't expand the flexpay monthly option for APs with this. It would have sorta softened the blow for some. I basically "flexpay" it on my platinum card haha. We have 6 ppl in the family. I uusally pay it off in 3 months.

Wags14

Disney seems more and more to be catering towards the 1% 'ers and leaving the middle class far behind. This is just another move by Disney to further themselves and their greed towards the "once-in-a-lifetime" goers and continue to alienate themselves from the "diehards."

Non-FL residents are really getting the royal screw treatment with this new tier system, which is really unfortunate. My 2 copper for what its worth, let Disney know how you feel and do whats best for you and your family. But just sad to see the continual alienation of the middle class and the "Diehards." I know our family felt a little sad this weekend because of it :(

note2001

Disney seems more and more to be catering towards the 1% 'ers and leaving the middle class far behind. This is just another move by Disney to further themselves and their greed towards the "once-in-a-lifetime" goers and continue to alienate themselves from the "diehards."

Non-FL residents are really getting the royal screw treatment with this new tier system, which is really unfortunate. My 2 copper for what its worth, let Disney know how you feel and do whats best for you and your family. But just sad to see the continual alienation of the middle class and the "Diehards." I know our family felt a little sad this weekend because of it :(

Not to turn this into an economics thread (*I'm not the right person for the discussion), but have you seen the purchase prices of new cars lately? They haven't increased as fast as the WDW ticket prices of course, but 8 years ago I paid 22K for the same car they're charging $35K for now (yes, I can get that knocked down a bit, but not to anywhere close to that $22K). My point being prices are going up all over the board for anything considered a luxury.

The problem is more than just Disney - middle class america is going extinct.

betty rose

My wife and I had taken a 3 year break on APs. We have just been taking week long trips each year. This year we have a 10 day stay in October and I really wanted to get back at Christmas to see Osborne, go in February for my wife to run the Princess 1/2 and April for me to run the Star Wars 1/2. With all that, I told her "We'll just upgrade our tickets to APs when we go." Well now, I'm furious. I can guarantee that I just won't pay that much more for APs. Absurd. And I'll just pass on going to Osborne and we'll stay off property for our two races.

I can spend my money elsewhere.
We are going the end of January and staying off sight, first time off sight in over 10 years.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom