Big changes coming to Annual Passes

note2001

Maybe I could just insinuate that TWDC has become a money grabbing rat.

Nah. I'll just state it.

The cool thing about entertainment price hikes is that the money is still ours while it's in our bank accounts and Disney can't make us spend it with them. They could charge $1000/day to get into the MK and I could continue living life just fine and not dying over not being in their "most magical place on earth". Taxes, food, education and transportation - those are the expenses that really hurt a family when they go up.

alissafalco

I think some will, some will drop to seasonal....
The seasonal Florida resident seems to be the way to go (Silver). It includes parking now which I think is worth the $64 increase. You make that up going 4x to the park. I received this email today from Disney
image1 (1).PNG

image2.PNG

Last edited:

the.dreamfinder

Sooo to avoid all the pages of discussion...do the new tickets benefit anybody?
Well, Bob Iger gets a $60 million bonus if the company hits certain revenue targets by 2018...
http://www.cartoonbrew.com/business...-help-to-get-his-60-million-bonus-104294.html
On top of his regular salary and bonuses, the LA Timesreports that there’s a clause baked into Iger’s new contract that allows him to earn a $60 million bonus in 2018 if Disney meets a cumulative operating income of $76.01 billion over a five-year period ending in 2018. For comparison, between 2009 and 2013, Disney produced $43.77 billion in operating income.

AEfx

Even if it's not a business expense, single people/or even couples should be able to come up with the funds, if they really value WDW. Everybody with a halfway decent job, pretty much has a yearly entertainment budget of a size to cover this. Whether its green fees/new clubs, new car parts, concert tickets, sports tickets or even just things like a top of the line cable package, alcohol, cigarettes. It's a matter of prioritizing (people may have to pick & choose).

So I don't quite see how this is going to disrupt a lifestyler. It's the families with kids, who have to multiply by 3, 4 or more that are more likely to be priced out. The ones doing the trick of, "I'll visit in November this year, and October next year, and so I get 2 trips for the price of 1-ish.

That's just it, though - it's not "if they value WDW", it's "how much they value WDW".

Could I afford to spend $800 on a Platinum AP (the lowest tier I'm eligible to buy because I don't live in FL)? Sure, but I refused to buy an AP once they went over $500, because it's simply not worth it to me. The quality of offerings hasn't gotten any better, in fact, worse in some cases, and there is very little that is going to change positively for at least another 3-4 years.

For non-FL residents, nothing much has changed except they are throwing in Photopass (which is effectively free for Disney to add, big whoop they allow you to download something you can already view) and the price has been hiked up to all heck. With it being years before anything new is actually open and functioning at WDW, it's an odd time to choose to churn some of your most repeat customers like this.

SirLink

There's plenty of blame to go around.

They don't want locals or people that ride TTA 1000 times in a year for that very reason.

Indeed, but lets put the blame where it needs to be put Burbank. If you look at those fairly nasty AP increases for Disneyland. TWDC hates AP at the set plans. Would expect next year a complete overhaul of AP is built for American parks, ala Magic Your Way passes - 3 very basic packages each time you by an add on you get some additional small perks. E.g. If you buy 3 add-ons you get 5% off merch if you spend over $100, if you buy 6 you get 7.5% off merch if you spend over $100, etc.

drp4video

I stopped getting AP's a while back when my daughter hit high school. Prices were getting out of hand even then and we stopped going more than once a year. I then bought 10 day hoppers with no expiration as this gave us three trips. Sometimes more than once a year, but usually just once a year for three days in the parks, doing AK and DHS in one day, so the passes lasted three years. We still stayed a week spending time in the resorts or DTD. Disney still got my money though as I have always stayed in their resorts, and as I starting going only once a year, I upgraded from always staying in values to moderates or deluxe. I ate my meals there as well, so they got a my money. Now that the no expiration option is gone, I will no longer be going even once a year. I was there in May at the AK lodge for only 4 nights and don't plan on being back for a while. After over 27 trips in 14 years, I have drawn the line in the sand.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
By my calculations if you're a Florida resident who had the regular, 365 day no blackout and no water parks pass, when you renew at the platinum rate, your monthly payments are going to go up by about $11 a month if you used the monthy payment option. I was paying $36 and change and it looks like when I renew it'll be around $47 and change. I tried factoring in tax. Unless I'm doing the math wrong.

My Florida Resident renewal price for my AP was $478.19 (includes taxes). My monthly payment is now $39.85 (was $36.30). So when I renew next October (if I keep the same level pass, which is now the platinum pass), my monthly payment will be $47-48. So I'm paying nearly $100 extra to keep the same level pass - and I get Photopass. Which I could care less about. :mad:

My increase between 2013/2014 & 2014/2015? A little over $36......

PhotoDave219

Indeed, but lets put the blame where it needs to be put Burbank. If you look at those fairly nasty AP increases for Disneyland. TWDC hates AP at the set plans. Would expect next year a complete overhaul of AP is built for American parks, ala Magic Your Way passes - 3 very basic packages each time you by an add on you get some additional small perks. E.g. If you buy 3 add-ons you get 5% off merch if you spend over $100, if you buy 6 you get 7.5% off merch if you spend over $100, etc.

Blah blah blah preaching to the choir blah blah blah

SoccerMickey

It's easy to explain the price hike of Disneyland's Annual Pass because they have so many of them and of course they're going to keep raising the prices until the people say stop. Obviously I don't have any spreadsheets in front of me to see how many Walt Disney World annual pass holders there are but I'm pretty sure its safe to say that the number is nowhere near Disneyland's, but the park is just as crowded but with a much different demographic, so I understand the mentality of keeping the AP's at arm's length in order to make room for the people paying top dollar on lodging, food, and merchandise.
I remember Annual Passholder events being held but I think the last one they did was the John Carter preview at Hollywood Studios. They say that events like Mickey's Very Merry and the Food and Wine Festival were started as a way to lure Annual Passholders/locals into the parks during the slow seasons but now those have become events that vacationers plan their trips around. What I really want to know is, Was there ever a time when Walt Disney World really relied on the AP guest?

hopemax

Just wondering, is there a single business school that has a class that teaches capitalist business enterprises to actively tell paying customers to go hump themselves?

What did we really expect after PhotoDave's post after post about the insanity of the crowds this year? And we know actually building new capacity (or improving low capacity areas so they have a better utilization) is off the table or so far off in the future.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom