Disney to trial new allergy friendly menus at pilot locations this month

afar28

The way they made this is terrible. I have a severe nut allergy, but they group all allergies on one menu. What I mean is, if something has shellfish in it and only shellfish, it's completely removed from the allergy menu. So, even though I would have no problem eating such a dish, it's off the menu and I would have no clue of its existence.

Until they fix this, speaking with a chef is better.

HeatherWatson

The way they made this is terrible. I have a severe nut allergy, but they group all allergies on one menu. What I mean is, if something has shellfish in it and only shellfish, it's completely removed from the allergy menu. So, even though I would have no problem eating such a dish, it's off the menu and I would have no clue of its existence.

I am in complete agreement with you! I'm glad speaking with a chef is still an option, though I hope I won't be treated like a nuisance now that these allergy-friendly menus have rolled out.

HeatherWatson

One question I have is, is the fried chicken still available at 50s? It's not listed as such (at least in regards to my particular restriction) on the new menu, but it is something the chef there has always accommodated in the past. There's no other reason why I would want to eat there other than it is the ONLY place I can get fried chicken anywhere. We have an upcoming ADR there in a few weeks, and I would have selected a different restaurant 180 days out had I known the chicken I'm been craving since May 2014 might no longer be an option.

I'm sorry for moaning and groaning, but in some ways, the menus seem to complicate things.

allymonkey

We just returned from a six day trip and my mother was given the allergy menu at most restaurants because she has to be gluten free (Celiac disease). She found some of the menus very confusing because they would say things like "for gluten, tree nut, and shellfish." Before speaking with the chef, she wasn't sure if that meant those foods were free of gluten or if they contained gluten.

One thing that none of the menus mention is if a dish contains alcohol. I had a stomach bacterial infection the week before our trip and the antibiotic I was prescribed would make me even more sick if I had any alcohol- could not eat food that had the alcohol cooked out of it or even use Listerine. Trying to order dinner at Raglan Road was quite an adventure because A- the menu does not list all of the ingredients and B- a chef does not visit the table to discuss allergies at that restaurant. I ordered the Shepherd's Pie- server came back and told me there was alcohol and the chef could not alter the dish. I then ordered the Braised Beef- menu says it's "Braised beef with horseradish mashed potatoes, roasted carrots and parsnips." Server came back again to tell me that dish is also cooked in alcohol. This time I gave her a list of three additional things so that if she found out my next choice had alcohol, she could bring something else. As a result, it took an additional 15 minutes from the time our server took the order until she found finally enter it in the computer. (And I won't even get into the 50 minutes it then took for our entrees to come to the table).

raetrosclair

I have a pretty severe egg allergy myself and have eaten at a good deal of the restaurants on property which restaurants specifically are you looking at?

Thanks! Also, if you have any restaurants that really stood out for you as very accommodating, that would be great to know too. We have ADRs at
Be Our Guest (breakfast and lunch)
Chef Mickey's (supper)
Crystal Palace (lunch)
Garden Grill (supper)
Via Napoli (supper)
Kona Cafe (breakfast)
T-Rex (lunch)
50's Prime Time (lunch)

The only places on your list ive not eaten at is via napoli ans be our guest for breakfast... when it comes to chef Mickey and crystal palace they have by far the best selections for my allergies there was tons to eat and didnt feel horribly restricted... 50's prime time was a little harder to eat at I didnt find that much I really could have (on top of my egg I also have chicken fish shell fish and various fruit allergies ) for me for breakfast nothing beats ohana they have Mickey waffles that are me friendly and bring me out my own skillet .. the other restaurants you've listed ive had no issue finding things to eat we/I always look at the menus before hand and try to get a general idea of what I know I can eat if I make it at home or a restaurant around town..

I also like the selection at boma for dinner, whispering canyon cafe was very accommodating they even have corn bread very dense corn bread but still.. we had the skillet and they just brought the chicken out on a separate plate for my boyfriend no need to talk to the chef

All in all I like knowing that at disney I don't have to worry about what I can and cant eat we've gone so many times now I have gotten comfortable with ordering and we usually go to the same places I dont feel like I need to talk to a chef any more maybe at the buffets just to get a refresher on whats there

dstrawn9889

Thanks! Also, if you have any restaurants that really stood out for you as very accommodating, that would be great to know too. We have ADRs at
Be Our Guest (breakfast and lunch)
Chef Mickey's (supper)
Crystal Palace (lunch)
Garden Grill (supper)
Via Napoli (supper)
Kona Cafe (breakfast)
T-Rex (lunch)
50's Prime Time (lunch)
you can check menus at http://allears.net/dining/menu... they seem to keep on top of things in that regard

MonorailLover

I think you're incorrect. I have legitimate allergies to tree nuts, shellfish, and mushrooms. I have used The new allergy menus last week, and they do not have different items from the regular menu. All they do is specify what each menu item is free of. The one restaurant had shellfish on the allergy menu, and said it was everything but shellfish free.

For example, the steak will be Tree but, gluten, soy, and shellfish free.

The shrimp will be tree nut, gluten, and soy free, but obviously not shellfish free.

Get the point?

They don't change the items unless you still ask for them too.

MonorailLover

Finally. While I appreciate their level of concern in this regard, I hate having my allergy treated like a national emergency. Just a more descriptive menu will do, thank you.
With the menu telling you what each item is free of, its definitely easier to use, especially how I felt bad when the chef came out.

MotherOfBirds

I once was hassled by waitstaff at a DTD restaurant because I had asked that the cheese be left off my dinner (annoying but not severe dairy allergy) and after being answered in the affirmative, it still came out with cheese on it. When I mentioned this to the server and said that I asked for no cheese because of an allergy, he lectured me for not telling them so they could bring the chef out.

OR, ya know, just listen when I ask for no cheese.

MonorailLover

I once was hassled by waitstaff at a DTD restaurant because I had asked that the cheese be left off my dinner (annoying but not severe dairy allergy) and after being answered in the affirmative, it still came out with cheese on it. When I mentioned this to the server and said that I asked for no cheese because of an allergy, he lectured me for not telling them so they could bring the chef out.

OR, ya know, just listen when I ask for no cheese.

Yeah, honestly, my family always reserves, and you can put in allergies. It used to basically automatically have the chef come out, or at least have the waitstaff informed, where they then send the chef out.

I've never had an issue with allergies, or even with the allergy menus. I've now used the new menus 4-5 times. They really help.

afar28

I think you're incorrect. I have legitimate allergies to tree nuts, shellfish, and mushrooms. I have used The new allergy menus last week, and they do not have different items from the regular menu. All they do is specify what each menu item is free of. The one restaurant had shellfish on the allergy menu, and said it was everything but shellfish free.

The shrimp will be tree nut, gluten, and soy free, but obviously not shellfish free.

Get the point?

Maybe I got it in a trial stage? My menu at BOG didn't list things on the menu for containing one allergen, so I couldn't get something I was positive I could order. I talked to the waiter about it and even he was confused by this. He asked the chef, clearing up any confusion and I ordered what I wanted. If that was my first time dining there though, I never would've known about it.

MonorailLover

Maybe I got it in a trial stage? My menu at BOG didn't list things on the menu for containing one allergen, so I couldn't get something I was positive I could order. I talked to the waiter about it and even he was confused by this. He asked the chef, clearing up any confusion and I ordered what I wanted. If that was my first time dining there though, I never would've known about it.
I ate dinner at BOG Recently, and they were utilizing the style of menu I described. Coral reef did also.

I've been really annoyed at BOG recently. With their change to a reservation required for their "quick service" lunch, my sister and I now joke that it is "signature" quick service. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they changed the menu again.

We also ate at The Yak and Yeti, which is actually completely nut free. It is also Landrys select, so they still utilized the chef coming out, which I ended up negotiating for my meal..... A little annoying, but it turned out to be the best meal I've had at WDW to date. They traded off coconut shrimp from the steak and shrimp entree for chicken and changed up the sauce, leaving the steak. It was a perfect meal..... I also actually got to eat the chocolate cake, which is a NO NO at ANY other Disney restaurant.

afar28

I ate dinner at BOG Recently, and they were utilizing the style of menu I described. Coral reef did also.

We apso ate at The Yak and Yeti, which is actually completely nut free. It is also Landrys select, so they still utilized the chef coming out, which I ended up negotiating for my meal..... A little annoying, but it turned out to be the best meal I've had at WDW to date. They traded off coconut shrimp from the steak and shrimp entree for chicken and changed up the sauce, leaving the steak. It was a perfect meal..... I also actually got to eat the chocolate cake, which is a NO NO at ANY other Disney restaurant.
Weird, not sure why I had that issue then. The sides were changed on the allergy menu for me which was kind of frustrating

afar28

Get the point?

This is what I was referring to, may have been unclear. Somehow this 19 menu item
image.jpg
Gets reduced to 5 things on the allergy menu.
image.jpg

I'm pretty sure 14 things on the menu don't have peanuts, it's rather confusing

MonorailLover

This is what I was referring to, may have been unclear. Somehow this 19 menu itemView attachment 108388Gets reduced to 5 things on the allergy menu.View attachment 108389
I'm pretty sure 14 things on the menu don't have peanuts, it's rather confusing
I couldn't tell you why the menu is reduced so much, but do you get where I'm coming from in general? Other than TAF, BOG and coral reef were the barely changed menus.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom