The Sorcerer's Apprentice - Season 3

RMichael21

I'm also slightly mad that you guys got an extra vacation day when we were almost done, and I think the judges should stick to their own rules next time. Especially since we already had a week long delay in the comp.
I completely agree with this. Not to fuel the fire or start any arguments, our concept could have been done by Monday (or Thursday for that matter), but in order to accommodate Team Goofy, @Vipraa and @TheOriginalTiki bent the rules. In my opinion, they should have asked Team Mickey if we were okay with it before they decided that it was okay to break the rules. Had they simply approached us (Team Goofy or the judges), I'm sure @Zweiland, @tcool and myself would have been fine with it. ;):)

spacemt354

Chili's
Cultural was not a requirement... coming up with something unique was. And I'm biased, but I think what we came up with was extremely unique. Heck, in the brainstorming stage we came up with a lot of the same stuff as you. Sitar players... storytellers... Also, if you guys think that street performances should be less complex or "something you just walk past" you shouldn't have designed a whole new area solely for street performances.

I'm also slightly mad that you guys got an extra vacation day when we were almost done, and I think the judges should stick to their own rules next time. Especially since we already had a week long delay in the comp.

I interpret these instructions as AK has a lot of culture to draw from...so you use that culture as inspiration to come up with something unique. So in my reading of it...it is a requirement.

The park has a huge array of culture to draw from, so be sure to put your thinking caps on and come up with something unique! Because this is a smaller project, the due date will have a smaller window. This project will be due Monday, August 17th

But at this point not much to do. You guys had a great project, so can't take anything away from you. I just wish the rules were more clear.

Zweiland

I agree that it's interesting to see different ideas like you said, but the problem is now it's causing a bit of controversy. I like when they take different directions in things such as last challenge. You both went completely different ways on creating dark rides, but there was no grey area in whether or not one was not within the rules. I personally think that this challenge was fine, the fact that you went different ways didn't really effect judging, but that's what seems to be making contestants upset. So making it specific enough (or general enough) could fix that.
But I'm not upset, and I don't think I would be if we lost either. I told RM that I was going to argue this @englanddg style, and that means exaggerating my frustration, but it's all in fun. :D

RMichael21

I interpret these instructions as AK has a lot of culture to draw from...so you use that culture as inspiration to come up with something unique. So in my reading of it...it is a requirement.
In fact, I believe that we used culture, just in a different way. Instead of using a country or place as inspiration, we took an idea. This "culture", in my opinion was the beauty of the animal kingdom, which matches the theme of Discovery Island (which our performance is on). A cultural experience of the entire animal kingdom. :)

Zweiland

In fact, I believe that we used culture, just in a different way. Instead of using a country or place as inspiration, we took an idea. This "culture", in my opinion was the beauty of the animal kingdom, which matches the theme of Discovery Island (which our performance is on). A cultural experience of the entire animal kingdom. :)
Haha, that's stretching it a little bit. ;)

Zweiland

You know, I think challenges have to be clearer in some instances and less clear in others. For instance, if it's a challenge about designing a ride the judges don't always have to specify "dark ride" because no matter which directions the teams take, it will be easy to compare their concepts. But in a challenge like this one, when you look at what the teams did, it's like comparing apples to oranges-- they're both fruits, but still taste very different.

spacemt354

Chili's
You know, I think challenges have to be clearer in some instances and less clear in others. For instance, if it's a challenge about designing a ride the judges don't always have to specify "dark ride" because no matter which directions the teams take, it will be easy to compare their concepts. But in a challenge like this one, when you look at what the teams did, it's like comparing apples to oranges-- they're both fruits, but still taste very different.
I completely agree. It's also why I think it's unfortunate someone has to leave due to unclear objectives.

I would suggest nobody is eliminated, and we move on, because i can concede to your side that if we won, it's unfair we had an extra day based on rules. On the flip side we thought we followed the instructions based on the judges' approval of our topic, but when we lose and the other team does something with a different interpretation, it's kinda frustrating.

But idk it's the judges call. And of course I'm being a little biased and trying to stick up for the members on my team so they all get to stay in the game ;)

Last edited:

Zweiland

I completely agree. It's also why I think it's unfortunate someone has to leave due to unclear objectives.

I would suggest nobody is eliminated, and we move on, because i can concede to your side that if we won, it's unfair we had an extra day based on rules. On the flip side we thought we followed the instructions based on the judges' approval of our topic, but when we lose and the other team does something with a different interpretation, it's kinda frustrating.

But idk it's the judges call. And of course I'm being a little biased and trying to stick up for the members on my team so they all get to stay in the game ;)
We both followed the instructions if the judges approved you, so there really shouldn't be a controversy. The judges decided which one they liked better based on set point metrics which we agreed upon before the challenge started.

We can't dance around eliminations forever. I speak for a lot of people when I say that I want this contest to end sooner rather than later.

spacemt354

Chili's
We both followed the instructions if the judges approved you, so there really shouldn't be a controversy. The judges decided which one they liked better based on set point metrics which we agreed upon before the challenge started.

We can't dance around eliminations forever. I speak for a lot of people when I say that I want this contest to end sooner rather than later.
I would like it to end sooner rather than later as well.

I don't think anyone's starting controversy why you won. You guys did great. Just have the rules be clearer for these types of challenges going forward so we don't run into any questions.

TheOriginalTiki

While I agree that Team Goofy's project was closer to what was originally being asked for while Mickey took liberities with it, this is EXACTLY why we have a grading scale in place. You guys should be able to tell exactly where you fell short, and it's not just in the concept. Goofy's project felt like something out of World Showcase whereas Mickey went above and beyond to create something that in my opinion was more unique even if it stretched the guidelines of the project a bit.

I'm not going to get much into giving Goofy an extra day. All I'll say is that I was in direct contact with @JokersWild throughout the week so I had a pretty good understanding of how hard it was to put this particular project together. It was ultimately @Vipraa's final call and we both figured we'd let it slide. Maybe I'd be less receptive to the ruling had Joker not been in my ear, but at any rate...

keep-calm-that-s-the-way-the-cookie-crumbles.png

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom