Underrated/Overrated Sit Downs

Hockey89

I have been there, and you have every right to! LOL. Although there's a bit of confusion for East coasters because what we call "lo mein" they call "chow mein" on the West coast!

I stole the below bc they said it much better than I could have..

The main difference between lo mein and chow mein lies in what happens to the noodles before they are combined with the other ingredients. In chow mein, the noodles are fried separately. Usually, the fried noodles are combined with the meat, vegetables and other ingredients in the wok at the end of cooking.

Noodles destined for a dish of lo mein skip this separate frying stage. In fact, the noodles may not undergo any further cooking at all: it is common to serve the parboiled noodles in individual bowls at the table and pour the other ingredients over top. Alternately, the noodles may be quickly tossed with the sauce and other ingredients in the wok before serving.

Since the real star of any lo mein dish is the sauce, it's not surprising that Lo Mein recipes often use more sauce than chow mein recipes. Frequently, the sauce is thickened with a cornstarch and water mixture before being combined with other ingredients.

Source(s): http://chinesefood.about.com/od/chinesed...

Tony the Tigger

I stole the below bc they said it much better than I could have..

The main difference between lo mein and chow mein lies in what happens to the noodles before they are combined with the other ingredients. In chow mein, the noodles are fried separately. Usually, the fried noodles are combined with the meat, vegetables and other ingredients in the wok at the end of cooking.

Noodles destined for a dish of lo mein skip this separate frying stage. In fact, the noodles may not undergo any further cooking at all: it is common to serve the parboiled noodles in individual bowls at the table and pour the other ingredients over top. Alternately, the noodles may be quickly tossed with the sauce and other ingredients in the wok before serving.

Since the real star of any lo mein dish is the sauce, it's not surprising that Lo Mein recipes often use more sauce than chow mein recipes. Frequently, the sauce is thickened with a cornstarch and water mixture before being combined with other ingredients.

Source(s): http://chinesefood.about.com/od/chinesed...

Interesting! East coast Chow Mein has no noodles. From what I understand, that's not "correct" but it's what we are used to getting. Of course, neither is deep-dish "pizza" real pizza. It's cake. ;)

Club Cooloholic

Original Poster
I love Prime Time. Exquisite cuisine? No. Good comfort food. Yes. Also, get in the mood to interact with the servers. It's really fun.
The food was ok but the servers were not really doing much. I think the worst part was out able was kinda uncomfortable and pretty grimey maybe it was an off day

JohnD

The food was ok but the servers were not really doing much. I think the worst part was out able was kinda uncomfortable and pretty grimey maybe it was an off day

I go as a single traveler. When I first went, I was next to a table that had a full family. The family got the keep-your-elbows-off-the-table treatment and I guess it just spilled over to me. I got called "Sparky" and I played along. Another time I went, I guess I didn't signal I wanted to play along so I was treated as a regular guest as anywhere else.

Tony the Tigger

I go as a single traveler. When I first went, I was next to a table that had a full family. The family got the keep-your-elbows-off-the-table treatment and I guess it just spilled over to me. I got called "Sparky" and I played along. Another time I went, I guess I didn't signal I wanted to play along so I was treated as a regular guest as anywhere else.

I'm guessing the servers learn to somewhat read the guests. I specifically have never eaten on the Diner side because I think I would be a little uncomfortable with that. Hence, I sit at the bar at the Tune-In Lounge and eat there, too.

alex_p_dizzy

Jeepers I was surprised to read that so many people were disappointed with BOG. My family and I absolutely LOVE the place, we have only been there for dinner however but everything we had was delicious. If you are willing to spend a little extra one night, I say it is a must eat, especially the French Onion soup, best I've ever had.

catmom46

Jeepers I was surprised to read that so many people were disappointed with BOG. My family and I absolutely LOVE the place, we have only been there for dinner however but everything we had was delicious. If you are willing to spend a little extra one night, I say it is a must eat, especially the French Onion soup, best I've ever had.

Yeah, it seems to be a love-hate relationship. I loved it as well and also only had dinner there. Shrimp & scallops in puff pastry was very yummy! :hungry:

danyoung56

I just read this entire thread, and at the risk of being rude I'd say that a whole buncha folks don't understand what underrated/overrated means. A restaurant isn't overrated just because you didn't have a good meal there. I tend to dine well while on vacation, and I don't tend to worry too much about the price. So from that viewpoint, there are very few (if any) WDW restaurants that are overrated. I would say that the Hacienda de San Angel is consistently underrated, though. I've had some excellent meals there, including the tastiest and most tender chicken I've ever enjoyed. But it's one of the last restaurants to fill up, meaning that I can get a rez there at the last minute.

And I just don't understand anyone ever having a bad time at the California Grill, one of my favorite restaurants on the planet. Perhaps people worry about the price, or perhaps a waiter is having a bad night. But I've never had a bad meal there, and have enjoyed some of the finest waiters ever.

Hockey89

And I just don't understand anyone ever having a bad time at the California Grill, one of my favorite restaurants on the planet. Perhaps people worry about the price, or perhaps a waiter is having a bad night. But I've never had a bad meal there, and have enjoyed some of the finest waiters ever.
Last few times I have been there after the change we had very very inconstant food. Chicken beyond dry... Boring apps.... Don't get me wrong I have always loved the place, but the last couple times just ok....

My biggest problem with the place is the atmosphere. It has turned into daycare and very very loud. I don't get that feel at any of the other sig res.... Kids running around tables and running up to the glass... Could have been just two bad times, but it killed the place for us.

NemoRocks78

Seized
Premium Member
I think Paradiso 37 at DTD is very underrated. You don't hear about many people eating there. My wife and I had a phenomenal lunch there on a whim a month or two ago. I would've never thought of eating there, but we walked by on the way to Earl and saw that the menu was decent, so we decided to try it. I had the mahi mahi sliders, which were great, and my wife enjoyed her burger. The P37 Lager, which they claimed to be "the world's coldest beer," wasn't bad either. I can't wait to try some of their platters. We will definitely be back soon.

JusticeDisney

Last few times I have been there after the change we had very very inconstant food. Chicken beyond dry... Boring apps.... Don't get me wrong I have always loved the place, but the last couple times just ok....

My biggest problem with the place is the atmosphere. It has turned into daycare and very very loud. I don't get that feel at any of the other sig res.... Kids running around tables and running up to the glass... Could have been just two bad times, but it killed the place for us.
Wow! Kids? In Disney World? You must be joking! How dare some people bring kids to Disney World and in the process ruin your dinner!

maxime29

Premium Member
Restaurant Marrakesh is underrated. I think people may be turned off with the Moroccan atmoshphere or something, but we enjoyed everything about it. Never seem to have an issue getting an ADR. The food is great too.

Can't really comment on something being overrated. I have my dislikes for quite a few restaurants (pretty much all the sit downs at DTD) but it doesn't fit the question.

PrincessJenn5795

I have to say Restaurant Marrakesh is really underrated. People hardly ever bring it up when discussing good restaurants, but it one of my favorites. The food is really great, and I love the atmosphere and music, but it is hardly ever very full at all.

For overrated, I would have to say Cinderella's Royal Table, or at least the breakfast. It is expensive, crowded, noisy, and the food is not very good. There are better ways to see the princesses, and even though being in the castle is kind of neat, I really don't think it is worth the hype it gets or the money it costs. I have never tried the dinner though, so maybe that is better.

catmom46

For overrated, I would have to say Cinderella's Royal Table, or at least the breakfast. It is expensive, crowded, noisy, and the food is not very good. There are better ways to see the princesses, and even though being in the castle is kind of neat, I really don't think it is worth the hype it gets or the money it costs. I have never tried the dinner though, so maybe that is better.

No, dinner isn't any better. Food was pretty bad for the price. :(

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom