Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

Incomudro

Whoever it is, they're fired.

What would be the point of adding to the Star Tours scenes to tear it all out in a year? From the D23 presentation, I would gather we're looking at two attractions plus Star Tours.
Yeah, doesn't make sense to me.
Tear out a much loved Star Wars attraction to add some different Star Wars attractions?

Cousin Huet

I just don't see them using Echo Lake or anything in front of it as part of this land as it would be too much to enter it right there. I feel like the entrance will on the other side of the lake (whether it stays or not) and go back from there. The rest of the set up looked good but I think the acres shown in front of echo lake will slide elsewhere.

We shall see how it gets finalized but either way it looks like between where they have the path coming out for Toy Story land and where Star Wars will stop they could easily run the road for Radiator Springs right into a new attraction sitting where LMA is now and even do something more cohesive over where Muppets is whether that be Monster Inc. stuff or just re-work that area around the Muppets completely. Can't wait to find out though!

Cesar R M

no, there'll just be a shortage on cement for the next 5 years.
Mexico as plenty to export (just ask CEMEX and ICA who got blasted by " dumping" by US officials)

They have to be careful about the level of violence, you wouldn't be shooting at people (Storm Troopers) that's for sure.
just give the weapons the aim of the stormtroopers.. noone will die. Infact, they will not hit a barn from inside.

Ignohippo

He would have preferred that they either replicate one of the environments from the films, or have mini-sections replicating different environments and that a true Star Wars nerd would be content simply with a Millennium Falcon walk-through. Much like the Harry Potter fans, Star Wars fans want to visit the worlds they've seen in the films, not made-up ones. Based on his tone you'd have thought I was personally responsible for the decision!

And I'm in the same boat as well.

Potter, at least, was based around one main environment. Star Wars is not.

Seriously, would anyone have thought, when the announcement of the acquisition was made, that we wouldn't be getting an X-Wing Trench Run ride? A Speeder Bike coaster?

Incomudro

It will, the phrase used "you will get to control the M.Falcon on a secret mission" or some other statement, that is not Star Tours that is another simulation attraction - probably next gen Mission Space.
Yes, my thoughts exactly.
They said you get to fly the Millenium Falcon.
That means a joy stick in the riders hands with a couple of other people in the cockpit.
Mission Mars - or some update of it in a Star Wars application.

CaptainAmerica

He would have preferred that they either replicate one of the environments from the films, or have mini-sections replicating different environments and that a true Star Wars nerd would be content simply with a Millennium Falcon walk-through. Much like the Harry Potter fans, Star Wars fans want to visit the worlds they've seen in the films, not made-up ones. Based on his tone you'd have thought I was personally responsible for the decision!
1. They're all made up, he knows that right?

2. The worlds in the films are pretty generic when you get right down to it. Forest planet. Ice planet. Urban planet. Desert planet. Jungle planet. Cloud planet. Boring. The thing that makes a Star Wars world a "Star Wars world" is the inhabitants, not the landscape.

TP2000

The DHS version will be retrofitted with the buildings around Echo Lake while the DL version will be new construction.

I just find this so hard to believe. On a project of this scale it seems like it would require a complete leveling of all existing structures and topography to start from scratch, like how Disneyland will need to do this. Repurposing existing 25 year old restaurants and theaters in DHS for the new land seems like it would cost more in the long run anyway.

I'd be pretty ticked if re-theming Star Tours is one of the new attractions and all we are really getting is one more attraction. I'm really hoping Star Tours stays and they add two more attractions for a total of 3. It it's a total of two and they are re-theming star tours then at Disneyland, they would basically have to rebuild Star Tours in the new land.

Agreed. The Disneyland angle on this bi-coastal story is key here. At Disneyland, Star Wars Land will be built on the opposite side of the park from where Star Tours is and will be pushing backstage into at least 10+ acres of new theme park expansion where Disneyland didn't exist before.

That tells me the two rides for both DHS and Disneyland are totally new concepts that have nothing to do with the Star Tours ride system that will be 33 years old when Star Wars Land opens in 2020.

ctrlaltdel

And I'm in the same boat as well.

Potter, at least, was based around one main environment. Star Wars is not.

Seriously, would anyone have thought, when the announcement of the acquisition was made, that we wouldn't be getting an X-Wing Trench Run ride? A Speeder Bike coaster?
I just want to see what the 2 main rides are like before I make a judgment on that. They could be really well done and groundbreaking. Disney will probably go all out, lest they face the wrath of Star Wars fans.

odmichael

Honestly, no. I haven't been on the new Star Tours (who goes to Disney anymore right?). But the old Star Tours was just this. We don't need more of the old. We're getting 6 new movies. Out with the old, in with the new.

chiefs11

2. The worlds in the films are pretty generic when you get right down to it. Forest planet. Ice planet. Urban planet. Desert planet. Jungle planet. Cloud planet. Boring. The thing that makes a Star Wars world a "Star Wars world" is the inhabitants, not the landscape.
Not only that, I think this might be the best way to go, and the easiest to pull off in a convincing way. There are no pre-conceptions of what exactly it should look like or what should be there. It will have the look-and-feel of Star Wars, and done correctly, that's all that really matters. (imho, of course)

Not to mention, everyone complains when attractions rehash existing storylines, rather then create new experiences within the world or story they are based on. So you just can't please everyone. :rolleyes:

ctrlaltdel

Exactly. SW is more about a feel/tone than a specific planet. We're getting a Cantina, we're getting a Falcon walk-through/ride, what more could a SW fan want?

Incomudro

They will probably have a different layout, but otherwise be the same.

I talked to my friend about it today (a Star Wars nerd if ever there was one), and it infuriated him.
The real Star Wars nerds (like any other sci fi nerd) gets infuriated over anything that isn't purist.
Fortunately, for every one of these guys - there are 100 other fans who are far less er... retentive.

Mike S

I believe the battle ride will take place on a space ship and involve lots of stormtrooper AAs.
I hope it's the LPS ride rumor that came from MiceChat. Would be so awesome :inlove:

Also, I want this in the ride. Just for the laughs :hilarious:
Ya1Yz.jpg

Best, Star Wars gif, EVER!!!!!!!

Cesar R M

Yes, my thoughts exactly.
They said you get to fly the Millenium Falcon.
That means a joy stick in the riders hands with a couple of other people in the cockpit.
Mission Mars - or some update of it in a Star Wars application.
but that doesnt give much details.
Imagine if the falcon thing was a spinner D:

fosse76

Your playing semantics. You know perfectly well it's discussed in the context of the films.

That's true to an extent. But then why would you need to build an elaborate land when you can just throw-in some newly costumed cast members and call it a day. But I responded to a question as to what a Star Wars fanatic felt about the Disney announcement (an unbiased non-Disney fanatic), and I answered it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom