A Spirited Perfect Ten

RSoxNo1

I just returned from seeing it. IT was awesome. The most lighthearted and funnier Marvel movie yet.
Id say its a combination of Guardians of the Galaxy comedy style with Iron man.

Not to mention the introduction of a few ideas for next movies.
Specially loved the reveal in the after-credits scene.

The only bad?
I REALLY HATE THAT DUMB "I'm a badass CEO WOMAN" haircut.
We seen it in Jurassic World, now on Ant Man.

Also..
Marvel really loves to portray the bad guys as BALD business men.

I mean, Iron Man's excellent Jeff Bridgeas as Obadiah Stane.. then another bald one on the third movie in the fake Mandarin.
We see a Balding CEO again with YellowJacket.
And pretty sure we seen some lesser villain commanders that are bald(in other marvel movies, like in the new avengers).

*edit*
also loved the Wasp references.
It's pretty simple really, it's easier/safer to portray a villain in that way than as any stereotype based on a nationality.

Last edited:

BrerJon

Yes, please. I would love to hear that a good part of the $350M heading towards MK is going to fill in that expansion pad with something good (Fire Mountain?). I'd even be fine with a clone like Indiana Jones or Journey to the Center of the Earth.

Maybe that amazing Jack Sparrow Experience* attraction they closed at DHS to make way for the Soundstage Lounge might go in that Adventureland pad?

*worst attraction ever

Last edited:

ItlngrlBella

Thanks everyone for your help with questions while we were here in the Disney area on a family visit.

As you may know I have an aunt and uncle living down here, both up in age and very poor health. My Aunt is in the early stages of Alzheimer's. My Dad (92) and other Aunt (84) that live in Chicago, wanted to see them - it's been 13 years since they've been together (my wedding).

The unsaid reality is that due to health and age, everyone knew that this would be the last time they'd be together and final goodbyes would be said.

We had a full day with everyone Saturday and then the plan for Sunday (today) was for them to have alone time and then go out to a restaurant (The dreaded Red Lobster).

We talked them out of that. Us "kids" had food brought in so we could all spend the day together.

So in a nutshell...the weekend...

I never got to Trader Sam's,
We didn't get to any notable restaurants,
Sat night DTD/DS was Disney H3LL,
Due our change in plans for Sunday I was bummed that I wasn't able to meet up with @akayw0718

But...

I was able to get (on video) a bunch of stories of them growing up in Depression Era/WW2 in Chicago and priceless pictures.

I learned that my Dad at age 14, stole my Grandpa's boss's car to go to Lincoln Park; the mafia threatened my Grandpa's butcher shop and their family so he moved them to a farm in Wisconsin for a few months while he closed the shop; my Aunt was 10 and mistook homemade grappa for juice and got hammered beyond belief; . ...and other crazy stuff.

We laughed so hard - I haven't seen my father laugh and smile so much as I did this weekend.

I'm compiling it all into one big video via iMovie and posting it to YouTube. Also burning it to DVD for the elder family members.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
I
image.jpg
These videos and pics are THE BEST "souvenirs" I've ever brought home from Florida.

This trip, by far, has been the best trip I've ever made to Florida. (Yes, even better than the Disney trips)

Goodbyes were very hard on us today but we are so blessed and glad to have made this trip happen for our Dad and Aunt.

PS: my 92 year old Dad is rocking the Hawaiian shirt (he was a pilot during WW2 and then got into advertising later), the Florida siblings are my uncle with the mustache and the lady with the sleeveless shirt.

Last edited:

WDW1974

Original Poster
Spirited Weekend Musings:

I see we have reached the point in the thread where we're largely engaging in small talk, which will make me taking a break a bit easier. But I'm gonna stick around for the rest of this week and see if anything newsworthy or noteworthy takes place ... beyond George Kalogridis addressing a major LGBT gathering this week at Coronado Springs (I pray he doesn't attempt humor. Seriously!)

I couldn't help but notice that, like many midwestern fanbois, @WDWFigment seems to have a livestock fetish. I just see him in that pic with his beloved Penny and ... yeah ... I want him to post here, so I won't say any of the baaaahhhhhd thoughts. Sorry, Tom! ... please let's have some TDR (as well as any DLR 60th) observations before I slip into the fog.

I don't really have WDW news right now, but I certainly have chatter. And much of it, from folks I respect, lends considerable credence to the information that @whylightbulb dropped on this very thread last weekend regarding Frontierland and the future.

Yes, for all the talk about how insanely busy O-Town parks are, barely 48 hours goes by without Disney trying to get me to stay at the All Star Music for $107 or UNI offering up Portofino Bay for $144 or Hilton offering me the Waldorf Astoria for $179. You can figure out for yourself what the values are in the above sentence and what that means about business in O-Town.

I admit that the more I hear about Shanghai Disneyland, the more excited I get because the details are there. This will be a rich, detailed, layered park. Now, HKDL has detail, but the best word to describe it upon opening was likely 'sparse.' Even on my first visit in 2008 when Small World had recently debuted the park was woefully short of attractions and used entertainment to help fill out a day. Now, one could easily spend two leisurely days at the resort with plenty to see ... but I'm happy that SDL is, indeed, opening with more of a DLP template than a HKDL one. SDL, like DLP at opening, will have lots of eye candy and lots to discover.

That said, the non-announcing of the Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh dark ride sent me back to the 2013 docs that I have to see what was left out of the announcement. As near as I can tell, this is the only attraction of substance to not get the spotlight last week, which strongly leads me to believe it is copy you are all familiar with. Also, the 'When You Wish' stage show seems to have been cut in favor of a cheaper castle stage show and a Frozen sing along. Much of the entertainment and food and beverage options were not talked about either.

To the people who think the new Marvel and Star Wars 'attractions' are where the $800 million of 'missing' money went, that's not the case. Toy Story Land had two attractions, a quick serve restaurant, a snack bar, a shop and area development. That's all been tabled for two empty soundstage/warehouse type temporary facilities. Disney saved considerably by swapping out the Pixar IP for newer acquisitions. Where that money is and what it went for remain very interesting questions that Bob Iger has no interest in ever answering it would appear.

Yes, a cruise sounds very nice about now ... but not in the Caribbean ... somewhere more exotic.

Usually, I don't enjoy it when academics or faux academics try and put a scholarly touch to subjects near and dear to me like theme parks. Often, it's just made up puffery. And it leaves me with the same feeling as in the 1980s when a Michigan Wolverine professor decided he'd offer courses on the cultural impact of Madonna. Yeah, you can truly overreach (I'm sure there are some in academic circles today who will tell you that writing in cursive or using complete sentences is no longer needed because communication is evolving into shorter comments and emojis ... and then I think of Dr. Blondie and want to puke). That said, A.O. Scott had what I thought was an interesting piece on the cultural meaning of Comic Con. Here's the link: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/19/m...ng-out-your-fantasy-and-fuel-the-culture.html

Last edited:

Nemo14

Thanks everyone for your help with questions while we were here in the Disney area on a family visit.

As you may know I have an aunt and uncle living down here, both up in age and very poor health. My Aunt is in the early stages of Alzheimer's. My Dad (92) and other Aunt (84) that live in Chicago, wanted to see them - it's been 13 years since they've been together (my wedding).

The unsaid reality is that due to health and age, everyone knew that this would be the last time they'd see each other (the Florida siblings).

We had a full day together Saturday and then the plan for Sunday (today) was for them to have alone time and then go out to a restaurant (The dreaded Red Lobster).

We talked them out of that. Us "kids" had food brought in so we could all spend the day together.

So in a nutshell...the weekend...

I never got to Trader Sam's,
We didn't get to any notable restaurants,
Sat night DTD/DS was Disney H3LL,
Due our change in plans for Sunday I was bummed that I wasn't able to meet up with @akayw0718

But...

I was able to get (on video) a bunch of stories of them growing up in Depression Era/WW2 in Chicago and priceless pictures.

I learned that my Dad at age 14, stole my Grandpa's boss's car to go to Lincoln Park; the mafia threatened my Grandpa's butcher shop and their family so he moved them to a farm in Wisconsin for a few months while he closed the shop; my Aunt was 10 and mistook homemade grappa for juice and got hammered beyond belief; . ...and other crazy stuff.

We laughed so hard - I haven't seen my father laugh and smile so much as I did this weekend.

I'm compiling it all into one big video via iMovie and posting it to YouTube. Also burning it to DVD for the elder family members.

View attachment 102050 View attachment 102051 View attachment 102052 IView attachment 102054 These videos and pics are THE BEST "souvenirs" I've ever brought home from Florida.

This trip, by far, has been the best trip I've ever made to Florida. (Yes, even better than the Disney trips)

Goodbyes were very hard on us today but we are so blessed and glad to have made this trip happen for our Dad and Aunt.

PS: my 92 year old Dad is rocking the Hawaiian shirt (he was a pilot during WW2 and then got into advertising later), the Florida siblings are my uncle with the mustache and the lady with the sleeveless shirt.
Thanks for sharing your family with us. I got all choked up just reading it and seeing those great pictures - what an awesome experience!

WDW1974

Original Poster
Absolutely. I can't speak for whether things have improved as I swore I'd never go back, but in 2011 it was a disorganised shambles, with lines not even being cut off when panels were full, no communication, and no guidance given on where to wait, different staff giving different instructions... so many people left with a bad opinion of the D23 organizers, and it does nothing but reflect badly on Disney.

From what I've heard, people loved the 2009 event, which I actually would have attended but I wound up in Paris instead and ... yeah, that was an easy call. But then came 2011 and almost universally I heard criticisms of Disney and how the event was handled. I also thought about going that year, but was spending a month in SoCa. for Emmy season starting about 10 days after the event, so that wasn't going to work. The last time I heard some things were improved, but others were worse. I didn't even think of going in 2013.

It does seem like something where Disney should be putting its best foot forward on every level. Not shocked that they are not. Let's see what they do this time.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I like the disagreements and different perspectives on this site. Some can't handle it. Tis the way of information dissemination and discussion everywhere.

It's just a microcosm of society. I do think the site is much more balanced now then when I first joined in 2008. There was a predominant WDW has never been better 'tude. I almost left to never return but kind words, most notably from @tirian and @Lee, encouraged me to stick around and the rest is history.

I do wish we had a whole lot more exciting WDW developments to talk about in the seven years I've been taking part in this forum.

HauntedMansionFLA

Spirited Weekend Musings:

I see we have reached the point in the thread where we're largely engaging in small talk, which will make me taking a break a bit easier. But I'm gonna stick around for the rest of this week and see if anything newsworthy or noteworthy takes place ... beyond George Kalogridis addressing a major LGBT gathering this week at Coronado Springs (I pray he doesn't attempt humor. Seriously!)

I couldn't help but notice that, like many midwestern fanbois, @WDWFigment seems to have a livestock fetish. I just see him in that pic with his beloved Penny and ... yeah ... I want him to post here, so I won't say any of the baaaahhhhhd thoughts. Sorry, Tom! ... please let's have some TDR (as well as any DLR 60th) observations before I slip into the fog.

I don't really have WDW news right now, but I certainly have chatter. And much of it, from folks I respect, lends considerable credence to the information that @whylightbulb dropped on this very thread last weekend regarding Frontierland and the future.

Yes, for all the talk about how insanely busy O-Town parks are, barely 48 hours goes by without Disney trying to get me to stay at the All Star Music for $107 or UNI offering up Portofino Bay for $144 or Hilton offering me the Waldorf Astoria for $179. You can figure out for yourself what the values are in the above sentence and what that means about business in O-Town.

I admit that the more I hear about Shanghai Disneyland, the more excited I get because the details are there. This will be a rich, detailed, layered park. Now, HKDL has detail, but the best word to describe it upon opening was likely 'sparse.' Even on my first visit in 2008 when Small World had recently debuted the park was woefully short of attractions and used entertainment to help fill out a day. Now, one could easily spend two leisurely days at the resort with plenty to see ... but I'm happy that SDL is, indeed, opening with more of a DLP template than a HKDL one. SDL, like DLP at opening, will have lots of eye candy and lots to discover.

That said, the non-announcing of the Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh dark ride sent me back to the 2013 docs that I have to see what was left out of the announcement. As near as I can tell, this is the only attraction of substance to not get the spotlight last week, which strongly leads me to believe it is copy you are all familiar with. Also, the 'When You Wish' stage show seems to have been cut in favor of a cheaper castle stage show and a Frozen sing along. Much of the entertainment and food and beverage options were not talked about either.

To the people who think the new Marvel and Star Wars 'attractions' is where the $800 million of 'missing' money went, that's not the case. Toy Story Land had two attractions, a quick serve restaurant, a snack bar, a shop and area development. That's all been tabled for two empty soundstage/warehouse type temporary facilities. Disney saved considerably by swapping out the Pixar IP for newer acquisitions. Where that money is and what it went for remain very interesting questions that Bob Iger has no interest in ever answering it would appear.

Yes, a cruise sounds very nice about now ... but not in the Caribbean ... somewhere more exotic.

Usually, I don't enjoy it when academics or faux academics try and put a scholarly touch to subjects near and dear to me like theme parks. Often, it's just made up puffery. And it leaves me with the same feeling as in the 1980s when a Michigan Wolverine professor decided he'd offer courses on the cultural impact of Madonna. Yeah, you can truly overreach (I'm sure there are some in academic circles today who will tell you that writing in cursive or using complete sentences is no longer needed because communication is evolving into shorter comments and emojis ... and then I think of Dr. Blondie and want to puke). That said, A.O. Scott had what I thought was an interesting piece on the cultural meaning of Comic Con. Here's the link: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/19/m...ng-out-your-fantasy-and-fuel-the-culture.html
image.jpg
I'll be waiting fir the D23 and I guess see what happens. Most of you have prepared us the past month, it will be interesting to see how many " so and so called it" happens after the presentations.

WDW1974

Original Poster
HHN caters to locals, particularly that early. Its unquestionable success does show how desperate "lifestylers" are for new content.

No doubt. But to everything there is a season. And the peak of hurricane season just doesn't shout Halloween to me. HHNs start a good 10-12 nights too soon, but I certainly get why they do. ... I'm very undecided on whether to attend this year's event, although I'll likely wind up there.

BTW, on the seasonal deal, I had MAGICal Sunday chicken today at the Cracker Barrel thanks to another forum member here! :) and couldn't help but notice they had a huge display of Thanksgiving merchandise IN FREAKING JULY!?!! I've never worked in retail (that should be obvious ...) but I've spent a lifetime as a consumer and I've never known anyone in my life who was thinking about buying Turkey Day decor/items in the middle of summer. It's all very sickening ...

FigmentJedi

Doubt they'll do it, but what I'd love for D23 to do is actively stream panels or event floor coverage like Star Wars Celebration has been doing the last couple years. They sorta dipped their toe in that with that Carousel of Progress panel at the last Destination D that ended up being a D23 Member exclusive, but they ought to make things more open.

Personally I feel like the club is kinda pointless when the paid membership basically amounts to just an expensive magazine subscription when you aren't in a position to go to events and even the digital side of things seldom delivers all the archive goodies that they were breaking out in the beginning. It's still useful as a brand for historical/obscure/hardcore Disney fan interests and behind the scenes stuff, but they haven't been capitalizing on that as much outside the big events.

Captain Neo

From what I've heard, people loved the 2009 event, which I actually would have attended but I wound up in Paris instead and ... yeah, that was an easy call. But then came 2011 and almost universally I heard criticisms of Disney and how the event was handled. I also thought about going that year, but was spending a month in SoCa. for Emmy season starting about 10 days after the event, so that wasn't going to work. The last time I heard some things were improved, but others were worse. I didn't even think of going in 2013.

It does seem like something where Disney should be putting its best foot forward on every level. Not shocked that they are not. Let's see what they do this time.

I attended the 2009 event and loved it. I guess attendance jumped the next time around because of good word of mouth and Disney wasn't prepared to handle the crowds.

Nemo14

No doubt. But to everything there is a season. And the peak of hurricane season just doesn't shout Halloween to me. HHNs start a good 10-12 nights too soon, but I certainly get why they do. ... I'm very undecided on whether to attend this year's event, although I'll likely wind up there.

BTW, on the seasonal deal, I had MAGICal Sunday chicken today at the Cracker Barrel thanks to another forum member here! :) and couldn't help but notice they had a huge display of Thanksgiving merchandise IN FREAKING JULY!?!! I've never worked in retail (that should be obvious ...) but I've spent a lifetime as a consumer and I've never known anyone in my life who was thinking about buying Turkey Day decor/items in the middle of summer. It's all very sickening ...

I was in a store last week that had their Christmas Anna Lee dolls out.
But I'll admit to getting a grin when I see the Back-to-School displays 2 weeks after the last day of school here...

WDW1974

Original Poster
The DL version is the same idea as the WDW version, but crammed into a space that's maybe 15% too small. Scenes have more room to breathe in WDW.

Actually, DL's problem is the opposite. It's in a cavernous show building that housed not one, but two, theaters for the same Country Bear Jamboree shows. There's no intimacy with very high ceilings and it feels like you're just in a giant warehouse with things to see. It's funny because DLers weren't thrilled with CBJ to begin with, but removing it for Pooh is sorta like what's been done at WDW with things like Horizons and Imagination and no one out there really cares. The only thing DL has is the perfect outdoor queue to take you into that storybook world.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom