Welcome to the all-new WDWMAGIC

flynnibus

Premium Member
The new design looks great!

The font is rendering quite badly for me on windows (it's fine on a mac and iphone). See screenshot. Is the font Roboto? Roboto always renders badly for me on windows. Most Google fonts render badly for me on Windows. Does anyone have any suggestions? (I'm on a 24inch Dell monitor - dell u2412m)

View attachment 98535

Exactly the same here ... Looks greAt on iPhone... Intolerable on windows 7 desktop. I had to swap the font out in the style sheet to make to tolerable

sunshine

Exactly the same here ... Looks greAt on iPhone... Intolerable on windows 7 desktop. I had to swap the font out in the style sheet to make to tolerable

Did you try my fix in post #203? I am not at liberty to update my OS beyond Windows 7 Professional on my work machine, but reinstalling Roboto worked for me. You have to make sure you're installing the new January 2015 Roboto, not an old version. I downloaded it directly from Google Fonts. Hope this helps, if you are inclined to try.

flynnibus

Premium Member
That's what happens with a 5 year old OS unfortunately.

Oh whatever...myou know its still a dominating platform in the market which is actively supported and current. Dont get snobbish. Its still the most common web client on the web by far... And you are acting like it fopah to be using it.

FigmentsFangirl

I personal am using Windows 7 Professional, everything looks perfectly fine for me {fonts, colors, images, etc} Of course I am also using Google Chrome to get online {I stopped using internet explorer due to priviacy issues in Windows XP Professional six years ago}

Everything looks great on my end, both laptop and phone!

Matt

Logan and Olivia's dad
Premium Member
Just for the record, opened up the site in IE11 and everything looks fine. 64bit Win7 pro.

IE on the left, Chrome on the right

screenshot 000128.jpg

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Oh whatever...myou know its still a dominating platform in the market which is actively supported and current. Dont get snobbish. Its still the most common web client on the web by far... And you are acting like it fopah to be using it.
Not being snobbish, just explaining some of why we do what we do. IE on Windows 7 isn't the most common web client on WDWMAGIC. Before any changes we look at our user-base to help determine some of the design decisions. iOS is our most popular platform, with Safari being the most used browser, by a long distance. Our priority is therefore to give maximum optimization to iOS. We did of course test on all the other platforms to ensure cross platform and cross browser compatiblity.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Not being snobbish, just explaining some of why we do what we do. IE on Windows 7 isn't the most common web client on WDWMAGIC. Before any changes we look at our user-base to help determine some of the design decisions. iOS is our most popular platform, with Safari being the most used browser, by a long distance. Our priority is therefore to give maximum optimization to iOS. We did of course test on all the other platforms to ensure cross platform and cross browser compatiblity.

And we've seen the risk of using a alternate font for the highest profile pieces of the forum... You risk interop or dependencies. We all know the limitations of finite testing. I'll try to update my fonts next time I'm on my laptop to see if readability improves like the other user reported.

Meanwhile the 5yr os is the most common os in use on the web by more than a factor of two. I'd be curious if your client stats are for the whole site vs what is seen in the forums themselves. I would think your news traffic may skew those stats? Just curious....

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Yes, I have tinkered with it a lot. No luck! Thanks, though. I don't expect you to be able to fix this, I just thought I'd see if I was missing something obvious! Thanks again.

EDIT - I fixed it! Apparently Google released an update to the Roboto font in January. I have Roboto installed on my machine, and I needed to update it to this latest version. The font update solved the problem for Roboto. Just letting you know in case this comes up for other people. So sorry to trouble you with this! I love the new site.
Interesting thanks for letting me know. We embed the font with the site, but it seems in your case it was using an old locally installed version instead. Glad you got it resolved.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Interesting thanks for letting me know. We embed the font with the site, but it seems in your case it was using an old locally installed version instead. Glad you got it resolved.
Ah... @sunshine may have fixed my PC issue as well!

(trundles off to try her fix, similar platform as hers and the exact same issue...if you recall, I was complaining that the font was "very thin" and attributed it to my monitors...though, dimmed / full screen works ok...but it doesn't look nearly as good as it does on my macbook...her screenshot matches what I'm seeing.)

So, THANKS @sunshine ! Fingers crossed that it works for me too!

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
And we've seen the risk of using a alternate font for the highest profile pieces of the forum... You risk interop or dependencies. We all know the limitations of finite testing. I'll try to update my fonts next time I'm on my laptop to see if readability improves like the other user reported.

Meanwhile the 5yr os is the most common os in use on the web by more than a factor of two. I'd be curious if your client stats are for the whole site vs what is seen in the forums themselves. I would think your news traffic may skew those stats? Just curious....
For May 2015 on the forums only.

iOS 41%
Windows 35%
Android 13%
osx 11%

Windows is constantly trending down with our users. I expect in another year for android and OS X to be very close to Windows.

We ensure everything works on Windows (and yep, we even went back to things like IE9), but we are not going to hold back and limit things based on a declining userbase of old OS.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I jumped over to my laptop to order pizza.. and compare the fonts here :) I didn't have any Roboto fonts installed locally.. so I assume it was using the dynamically loaded fonts. I tried downloading the google fonts to see if it made any difference and I can say 'no'. This is on a 1920x1080 17" laptop display in chrome on win7. The quoted font especially I find difficult to read comfortably (tighter kerning, italics, and size) and other portions like the User info block, user likes, etc I need to focus on to see well.. can't pick them out by scanning by quickly. I find the font uncomfortable even until I zoom up to 150%. Comparing side by side with my iphone, I think it largely comes down to viewing distance. The iphone looks good, but I also typically have it 2/3rds closer to me. Holding the phone further back and it gets harder to read (obviously). I am nearsighted, and the dr tells me to stop looking at the computer so much.. but I think I'll stick to my substitution for my own reading. Thanks for the stats peek @wdwmagic

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom