Walt Disney Imagineering recruits advanced robotics expert to work on future animatronic figures

the.dreamfinder

Ohhhh... This seems like very interesting news! This means that they are looking at in-house AA development again?

No more outsourcing?
Doubtful, this is just for R&D as opposed to production. It's great to see them investing in the hard research, but first management will need to change their view that margin is more important than show or upkeep. I wouldn't expect to see more AAs in the parks, either produced in house or outsourced to Garner, for some time sadly.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
Doubtful, this is just for R&D as opposed to production. It's great to see them investing in the hard research, but first management will need to change their view that margin is more important than show or upkeep. I wouldn't expect to see more AAs in the parks, either produced in house or outsourced to Garner, for some time sadly.
You mean outside of Avatar? I thought it was pretty official news that there were complex AAs being built for that.
I mean, I know James Cameron mentioned some uber-complex ones, but no idea if Disney has ever mentioned it.

the.dreamfinder

You mean outside of Avatar? I thought it was pretty official news that there were complex AAs being built for that.
I mean, I know James Cameron mentioned some uber-complex ones, but no idea if Disney has ever mentioned it.
It was mentioned in @AustinC's FastCo article, but Avatar is all about Bob and James' ego so they'll do whatever they can to make it better than Harry Potter. If you look at Shanghai, there will be almost no AAs with a handful of those project face animated figures, which are not AAs. One highlight was to be Roarin Rapids, which would have had many quality Dino AAs, but from what @WDW1974 has said, they have been cutting back there too.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
It was mentioned in @AustinC's FastCo article, but Avatar is all about Bob and James' ego so they'll do whatever they can to make it better than Harry Potter. If you look at Shanghai, there will be almost no AAs with a handful of those project face animated figures, which are not AAs. One highlight was to be Roarin Rapids, which would have had many quality Dino AAs, but from what @WDW1974 has said, they have been cutting back there too.
It would beg the question why they would hire an advanced robotics guy to do R&D on something they have no intention of using. Of course, it's not the first time someone would have been hired like this, but it would seem odd nonetheless.

the.dreamfinder

It would beg the question why they would hire an advanced robotics guy to do R&D on something they have no intention of using. Of course, it's not the first time someone would have been hired like this, but it would seem odd nonetheless.
Research for research's sake. Bruce Vaughn came from WDI R&D, he was a lead on Lucky the Dinosaur, it makes sense for him to hire someone even if the tech doesn't make it into the parks. However, this is the same company that sat on LPS trackless technology for years and will only be bringing it stateside next year with the new Luigi's ride at DCA only after SeaWorld built Antartica almost fifteen years after Hunny Hunt opened at TDL.

lobelia

With the hire of this gentleman, it looks like the new AAs could also move independently through scenes and space. This coupled with the new robot for Star Wars makes me hopeful.

flyerjab

Imagine an Avatar boat ride with AA's that can move independently through certain scenes. Talk about taking things to a whole new level. One thing I always enjoy about the KS ride in DAK is that it never is truly the same each time you go on it. Imagine a futuristic walkthrough area in Pandora where AA's of the various animals from the Pandora forests are free to roam their respective sections.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom