The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

StarWarsGirl

ETA: with the pulse/ox I was only at 95% ox when I got there...
Oof. That's not good. You should be around 97%-99%. Below 97% is not good. My doc doesn't like anything below 98%. Below 90...shouldn't happen.

To prevent this from happening in the future, you might want to try taking a maintenance med, like Zyrtec, Clairatin, or Alegra, and then take a decongestant when you get bad, like Mucinex or Sudafed, when you start getting congested. Once you get better, you and your doctor can discuss how to best prevent it in the future, but a maintenance med and a decongestant would be a good start.

donaldtoo

Uh, I need them more than from time to time...haha. Like yesterday. Twice. Inhalers don't work that well for me, so if it doesn't work, I have to start on the nebs.

If it's going into pnuemonia, then it's bacterial. Which means it would be contagious. I've never heard of bronchitis not being contagious. What happens is you start with the allergies, and then you get congested, and the congestion sits in your chest and gets infected. I've never hear of bronchitis not being contagious. Either way, it's best to stay away from others.

My dad had bronchitis a few years ago, and the doctor prescribed him an inhaler. Unlike his wife and daughter, my father does not have asthma, so he'd never used one before. It was fun watching him try...:joyfull:

Sorry, that's right, you need them more often than that. Forgive me, I'm still a bit out of it.

Again, I don't know why she told me that now that I think about it, 'cause she also prescribed an antibiotic. Or maybe, I misunderstood her, which is more likely. :rolleyes:
And, yes, she also prescribed a Symbicort inhaler.
I've done it once. I could replace a water pump on a Chevy small block quicker than it took me to figure that thing out...!!! :joyfull: :D ;) :)

donaldtoo

Oof. That's not good. You should be around 97%-99%. Below 97% is not good. My doc doesn't like anything below 98%. Below 90...shouldn't happen.

To prevent this from happening in the future, you might want to try taking a maintenance med, like Zyrtec, Clairatin, or Alegra, and then take a decongestant when you get bad, like Mucinex or Sudafed, when you start getting congested. Once you get better, you and your doctor can discuss how to best prevent it in the future, but a maintenance med and a decongestant would be a good start.

Again, thank you. :)
Yes, it's actually that simple. I'm not one of those that hates to admit I'm gettin' older, I just, many times, forget that I am, 'cause I don't feel like it so much. I just need to become even much more aware and preemptive. :)

StarWarsGirl

Sorry, that's right, you need them more often than that. Forgive me, I'm still a bit out of it.

Again, I don't know why she told me that now that I think about it, 'cause she also prescribed an antibiotic. Or maybe, I misunderstood her, which is more likely. :rolleyes:
I've done it once. I could replace a water pump on a Chevy small block quicker than it took me to figure that thing out...!!! :joyfull: :D ;) :)
It's okay. I'm sure you're not quite with it.

Symbicort...a bit surprising as that'a a maintenance med for asthma and COPD, but it should be fine for you. Just a warning...that med can cause racing heart in some patients. It's why I can't take it; I was on it for a while and it kept giving me racing heart. If that happens, stop taking it and call your doctor right away. Not to scare you; just a warning. It may be fine, but you should be aware of that.

seahawk7

You haven't! Don't worry about it at all. I feel that we are having a nice conversation about this and our differing opinions. Yours is just as good as anyone's. Your observations are completely relevant, and if it weren't for anti-everything groups in existence today paranoia would not be nearly as high as it has been lately. It just proves that all of us are human and prone to making a lot of mistakes in judgment.

The things you were talking about reminded me of the time in Vietnam and I was riding in the back of a pickup truck in the middle of Saigon. We were stopped at an intersection and I looked up at the vehicle stopped next to us and there was a kid, no more then 12 years old pointing a pistol at us. (there were three of us in the back) We all had fire arms and we took them out and pointed them at the kid. We were close enough that we knew it was real, besides kids didn't play with toy guns in Vietnam unless they had a death wish. He changed his mind and pulled the gun back in the window. I never trusted a Vietnam kid again. Was that wrong? Yup, but, it is human nature to be afraid of the unknown and lump bad experiences into a stereotypical framework.
Thank you for your service. My father also fought in Vietnam and said similar things about the children there.
I'm sorry you guys had to experience that or any war. Thank you again for your service.

StarWarsGirl

Yup, but even so, if you have a problem with allergies like that, it's a good idea to just keep following up with a doctor.

My one friend, also an asthmatic, yesterday told me she thought she had bronchitis (lo and behold she did) and had been on her nebulizer morning and night. I told her she should be taking an inhaler every four hours. She said she didn't have an inhaler. I was just like :eek:. I advised her to go to an allergist and try to get her asthma under control, after she gets over the bronchitis that is. Especially since asthma can peak in your 20s.

Sometimes all of us just need a little reminding.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Nom nom nom nom

B-ImmW9IIAEYlF7.jpg:large

donaldtoo

It's okay. I'm sure you're not quite with it.

Symbicort...a bit surprising as that'a a maintenance med for asthma and COPD, but it should be fine for you. Just a warning...that med can cause racing heart in some patients. It's why I can't take it; I was on it for a while and it kept giving me racing heart. If that happens, stop taking it and call your doctor right away. Not to scare you; just a warning. It may be fine, but you should be aware of that.

Yea, I've seen the commercials for Symbicort on TV about 8 million times, and was actually a bit cornfused and bullwildered why she scripted that. But, she's the Doc, so...
I've only puffed it twice for my first dose. So far, no racing heart issues, but, I'll definitely keep my guard up.
Again, thank you! :)

Goofyernmost

Thank you.
The Doc I saw said it was likely not contagious, since it was caused by an extension of the allergies and not a virus or bacteria. Who knows.
Anyway, yes, I'm just so exhausted and sore from coughing. It hurts.
The neb was just something I've never had before. It was just fine, but, it was something we had to do for super premie DS, and I know you need them from time to time, but, I just never imagined myself needing one.
Life's a hoot..!!! :joyfull: ;) :)

ETA: with the pulse/ox I was only at 95% ox when I got there...
I had my first COPD symptom about two years ago. I started coughing and had an awful time just getting air in. I managed to get it calmed down enough to drive to the hospital emergency room. My ox was 79% at the time. They hit me with the neb and it was wonderful. Within moments I was breathing freely and back up to my normal 96/97%. I wish I had one of those machines home. Right now I control it all by using my inhaler in the morning and at night, just for maintenance. It has worked fine since then.

seahawk7

Bro #1 is my fave - currently lives with Bro #3 since he and his wife (my cleaning lady) split in June 2013.
Bro #2 is the addict - separated from BFF/SIL, Tammy.
Bro #3 is the baby I thought was mine. The niece (2012) and the nephew (2013) that Tammy and I took to Disney belong to him. He used to be my fave, but we are faaaaaaar too much alike - especially in our negative attributes!
Two negatives equal a positive.

seahawk7

We're thinking of canceling our membership. Because the first time we used them, they towed the car to the wrong repair shop. Then the second time, they rescued me with a flat tire. No issues, they were there in 45 minutes, and they told me that the tire rim was damaged, which was helpful.

This time...ugh
Yup cancel after you file a looooooong complaint. Then when they beg you to stay, say you want a free one year membership to see if they have cleaned up their act. It could happen.

donaldtoo

I had my first COPD symptom about two years ago. I started coughing and had an awful time just getting air in. I managed to get it calmed down enough to drive to the hospital emergency room. My ox was 79% at the time. They hit me with the neb and it was wonderful. Within moments I was breathing freely and back up to my normal 96/97%. I wish I had one of those machines home. Right now I control it all by using my inhaler in the morning and at night, just for maintenance. It has worked fine since then.

Yea, COPD (which my MIL suffers from) is definitely not the issue. Just me letting things go on too long (which I don't ever do with my other known medical conditions). I'll definitely be more preemptive from now on.
We had a neb machine at home for super premie DS and he was always so relived and relaxed after a treatment.
Those things are awesome.
Sorry about the COPD, but, glad you are taking care of it. :)

BTW...
If Dr. prescribed it wouldn't insurance, medicare cover the neb machine?
Please pardon my ignorance, I haven't delved into it. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom