Major 2015 Pirates of the Caribbean Refurbishment Watch/Rumor.

FigmentJedi

Disneyland's skull was better and had a creepier voice. Why did they use a different voice for the WDW version?
I always felt like MK's skull was kind of an after thought. Especially with the Barker Bird fulfilling the Skull's original role of setting the scene and mood, even down to modified bits of the Skull's dialog.

Animaniac93-98

I always felt like MK's skull was kind of an after thought. Especially with the Barker Bird fulfilling the Skull's original role of setting the scene and mood, even down to modified bits of the Skull's dialog.

There wasn't really much to MK's skull. It did not use the same spiel or look of the Disneyland original and its only real purpose was to warn people about the drop. The current version is much better, you drift quietly into the dark and are then surprised by the drop into the attack scene. It works better as a transition piece.

EDIT: Just watched Martin's vid of the scene. A Halloween decoration warning you to keep your hands inside followed by an excerpt of Paul Frees' dialogue about cursed treasure. Sometimes less is more.

Also, seeing video of the old treasure room scene reminds me of how much better that version was.

Last edited:

Sage of Time

I feel like it's time for Space to get another major refurb. This time hopefully they can do it right.
I agree, but I feel like POTC needs it first.

Has there been any other news on the potential refurb? My inside mouse says there might be an announcement very soon about Pirates.
Meaning they'd actually talk about it? And things they'd do? Not just a quiet closure for a long time? Wow.

WhatJaneSays

Meaning they'd actually talk about it? And things they'd do? Not just a quiet closure for a long time? Wow.

There are very few formal announcements of refurbs, more of an Disney internal "quiet announcement" so they can take POTC’s operating hours off the calendar and mark it unavailable for FP after a certain date. Of course all those things show up on the website/app almost instantaneously so it’s not really a secret.

(Anyone out there with an upcoming reservation want to start looking at the FP options for POTC at 60 days out?)

Sage of Time

There are very few formal announcements of refurbs, more of an Disney internal "quiet announcement" so they can take POTC’s operating hours off the calendar and mark it unavailable for FP after a certain date. Of course all those things show up on the website/app almost instantaneously so it’s not really a secret.

(Anyone out there with an upcoming reservation want to start looking at the FP options for POTC at 60 days out?)
Here's hoping it just CLOSES, then.

WhatJaneSays

Just checked the hours for PotC on the Disney website, “no times available” starting on May 11th. All the other rides hours seem to be out until June 30th but PotC has none.

Guess that (or there abouts) is the magic date.

DanMK

If there's a possibility that May 11th could be the start date for the refurb, could anyone estimate how long the refurb will be going on for?

ToTBellHop

Just checked the hours for PotC on the Disney website, “no times available” starting on May 11th. All the other rides hours seem to be out until June 30th but PotC has none.

Guess that (or there abouts) is the magic date.
Sounds likely. Jungle Cruise is closed thru Friday 5/8 so it'd be reasonable for POTC to close Monday 5/11 thru Thanksgiving.

WhatJaneSays

If there's a possibility that May 11th could be the start date for the refurb, could anyone estimate how long the refurb will be going on for?
I’d say based on those hours being correct it will be down for minimum of 2 months, but I’d bet on closer to a 4-6 month refurb.

jensenrick

Walt was a believer in the "Plausible Impossible" which means a fictional world has to have believable internal logic in other words a fantasy world cannot just explain away inconsistencies on the basis of it being a fantasy world. It must have an internal logic. There is no logical explanation given in the ride in it's current form why the mayor would risk his own life and the welfare of the town he oversees to hide a pirate from other pirates.

I knew there was a reason this ride sucks now! It's been bugging me.

MarkTwain

There wasn't really much to MK's skull. It did not use the same spiel or look of the Disneyland original and its only real purpose was to warn people about the drop. The current version is much better, you drift quietly into the dark and are then surprised by the drop into the attack scene. It works better as a transition piece.

EDIT: Just watched Martin's vid of the scene. A Halloween decoration warning you to keep your hands inside followed by an excerpt of Paul Frees' dialogue about cursed treasure. Sometimes less is more.

Also, seeing video of the old treasure room scene reminds me of how much better that version was.

I agree. I never thought the skull worked as well as Disneyland's; much too cartoony, especially in contrast to the scenes around it. I agree it works better with the drop in the dark.

Captain Neo

I agree. I never thought the skull worked as well as Disneyland's; much too cartoony, especially in contrast to the scenes around it. I agree it works better with the drop in the dark.

Are there pics of the old skull and video of the original version? I forgot already

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
is it going down 6 months and only fixing some of the issues (fog screen, boats taking on water, mermaids, etc.) or could there be more to this? (additions, etc.)

seems like a long time just to fix exiting things already in place... but it is Disney after all

TomP

I don't think the refurb starts May 11. I'm going down April 11 so I'm at 60 days for FP+ and there's no availability on any of my dates.

The earlier it starts, the more chance it has of being open when I'm there!

I don't know about the FP availability but the park calendar shows operating hours for POTC up until May 11.

Since it is getting close to that date (90 days) you would think that Disney would be putting up a refurb notice for those who plan vacations.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom