Under the Sea ~ Journey of the Little Mermaid closing for month long refurbishment Feb 2-Mar 6

Nemo14

Well then we just have faith with a little bit of pixie dust sprinkled on it.
stars.gif
stars.gif
stars.gif

animated-smileys-puking-01.gif

Sage of Time

Obviously a true battle with Ursula would be better than what's their now, but saying it's better than Pan is ridiculous. The only movement on Captain Hook are his legs, and the animatronics on Pan are primitive at best.

No amount of black light on Pan will solve it. It needs significant animatronic and show scene updates.
I really disagree. AA tech might be an issue, but Pan just has more of the feeling of the movie in it. The gimmick of flying is much stronger than going beneath the waves in TLM.

I say this not exactly a fan of Pan, either. My favorite FL ride of all time was WDW SWSA. The original version. The one that terrified you and didn't really relay a story, but related a mood. Mood is crucial to FL's rides and it's really missing in TLM. TLM feels very bland... just songs and random scenes. At least things like Pan give you the euphoria of flying and SWSA gave you the terror of being pursued in the forrest.

orlando678-

I think that TLM just needs some cool effects to really make us feel as if we are under the sea. I do want to see a better finale scene with Ursula to still give a sense of what and who she really is. Ursula is a part of the story while in the ride it looks like she's only helping Ariel and then oh it's finale scene and now Ursula dies. If the ride would actually show the kids that Ursula is bad, then the scene where she is defeated wouldn't be that cruel even for smaller ones. I think it actually looks cruel now since Ursula only looks good in the storyline of the ride and then in the end she is killed without any reason or proof that can be found in the ride itself.

yensidtlaw1969

The fact that it was made in the 70s is a convenient excuse. The Haunted Mansion was made in the 70s but has received necessary upgrades and is among the best Disney has to offer. Peter Pan looks like a carnival fair attraction compared to Mermaid, and as you said Mermaid wasn't anything earth shattering. We exist in 2015, so do both rides. I'm judging both by today's standards, and with that in mind, Mermaid is the better attraction.
I don't know, I still have more fun on Peter Pan than I ever have had on Mermaid. I like it and appreciate what it has to offer, and I agree Pan could benefit wonderfully from an update, but I don't think formal qualities alone prove Mermaid to be better.

The Wizard of Oz looks like a home movie compared to Avatar, but I think we all know which one is the better movie.

orlando678-

Well the under the sea and kiss the girl scenes can be fixed I think, but the ending is going to be more challenging when they want to change that( while I don't even believe that they will change it).

midwest_mice

Whether the animatronics are up to par or not, Pan remains the better experience of a ride. Mermaid is good up until the rushed ending, the poor design of Under the Sea and Kiss the Girl scenes.
I agree. To me the ending is thrown in abruptly. I do hope the lighting is redesigned, if you look up it feels like a temporary attraction seeing the rigging from the lights, etc.

Kman101

The Under the Sea scene is just embarassing. And I know they probably couldn't do much different in Kiss the Girl but the plastic water, hair, etc. It's like the outside, queue and beginning of the ride, money was spent, and then the rest of the ride was whatever they had left. The finale is also too plastic and the animatronics of married Ariel and Eric are fairly poor IMO.

Bocabear

The whole ride lacks a sense of staging...the classic old Disney rides always created a sense of space through clever staging and design... TLM the vehicles are so close to the figures there is hardly time to take in the scene before you are past it...Think of the settings in the classic rides like Haunted Mansion and Pirates...The experience of TLM is like sitting a foot away from your television set... We all know the Peter Pan show building is comparatively tiny, but the settings were staged and designed with forced perspective to give the impression of vast spaces... While I do believe the ride would be better with the DCA upgrades, the fundamental flaw is the the actual overall design...
The animatronics on the ride are actually great...the technology is there...Staging Staging Staging!!

Sped2424

Well we only sadly have 1 "classic" fantasyland dark ride left and that is peter pan. Tdo has killed the rest of them over the years. I don't count pooh cause it's a critter country thing over there. Fantasyland needs 2 new dark rides in my opinion.

orlando678-

Yeah I agree. WDW deserves new classic dark rides. But it will never be a classic dark ride. I mean we have two dark rides in WDW but of course Little mermaid isn't a classic, but a new dark ride wouldn't be considered classic either right? I'd like to see some original ones. Sleeping Beauty, Cinderella, 101 dalmatians, Robin hood, Hunchback and so on I don't care as long as it is a good one with a good theming and location.

doctornick

Well we only sadly have 1 "classic" fantasyland dark ride left and that is peter pan. Tdo has killed the rest of them over the years. I don't count pooh cause it's a critter country thing over there. Fantasyland needs 2 new dark rides in my opinion.

I still don't understand why they didn't add a small dark ride as part of the FLE. They could have put Pinocchio in the Storybook Circus area (the queue could be themed to "see the puppet without strings") or put some buried a dark ride under part of the mountain of the 7DMT in a corner -- something with, say, a Sleeping Beauty theme would have fit perfectly in the "Fantasyland Forest" area.

WDW is really inefficient in terms of their use of space.

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

I still don't understand why they didn't add a small dark ride as part of the FLE. They could have put Pinocchio in the Storybook Circus area (the queue could be themed to "see the puppet without strings" or put some buried a dark ride under part of the mountain of the 7DMT in a corner -- something with, say, a Sleeping Beauty theme would have fit perfectly in the "Fantasyland Forest" area.
Back in the 1970s, the Discovery Bay project at Disneyland had a less talked about second half, Dumbo's Circus that included a relocated Dumbo the Flying Elephant and Pinnochio's Daring Journey. The poor use of space is probably the biggest failing of New Fantasyland.

Sped2424

Back in the 1970s, the Discovery Bay project at Disneyland had a less talked about second half, Dumbo's Circus that included a relocated Dumbo the Flying Elephant and Pinnochio's Daring Journey. The poor use of space is probably the biggest failing of New Fantasyland.
Poor use of space indeed. I say gut the belle meet and greet and make it a nice little Dark ride for beauty and the beast. And gut the empty circus tent for the fab 4 over at Story book circus and make that a Pinocchio's scary adventures ride themed to the horrors of Pleasure island :') Also gut the merida meet and greet and the cheshire cafe and add an Alice dark ride. The space is all there.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom