IBM's THINK and Test the Limits exhibits to close in early January

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
As much as I'd say North West could hold a decent sized dark ride, I'd be upset if other neglected areas weren't regeneragted for the guest first.

Innoventions really is a shell of a shell now. It's been sinking since 1999.

Less than half is actually being used for its intended purpose and they can't even keep that filled.

Sage of Time

As much as I'd say North West could hold a decent sized dark ride, I'd be upset if other neglected areas weren't regeneragted for the guest first.

Less than half is actually being used for its intended purpose and they can't even keep that filled.
I've always wanted to see a ride in CCore.

...or the Carousel of Progress.... cough.

ABQ

I believe the Great Piggy Bank Adventure, which is both educational and fun, is also on the way out. That's on the west side as well, is it not?

Goofyernmost

I believe the Great Piggy Bank Adventure, which is both educational and fun, is also on the way out. That's on the west side as well, is it not?
I had a long talk with an extremely bored CM at that location last year. It was very amusing to watch and hear the comments from the CM. Needless to say, he was not enamored by the job. :D

TP2000

Sadly, you just said it perfectly. :(

I'm very sad to see the IBM THINK exhibit go.

It was an increasingly rare flourish of smart, gracious, respectful design that assumed the audience was sophisticated and savvy, instead of dull and dumb. IBM's famous public exhibits like this date back to the early 1960's, when they contracted Charles and Ray Eames to design their public exhibitions for World's Fairs and traveling museum shows. That type of elegant design delivering an intelligent message spoke directly to an American middle class who knew they were worthy of good things, and IBM honored them instead of speaking down to them with their exhibits.

Charles Eames previews his new MATHEMATICA exhibit for IBM executives - 1961
B1jRHx0CUAEaL77.jpg

Epcot guests of IBM explore the THINK exhibit in Innoventions - 2014
Innoventions_Full_17916.jpg

Compare IBM's elegant, engaging exhibits to the average 21st century Kiddy Museum exhibit that uses garish design to capture attention, and then assumes the audience is stupid and must have their hand held through the most basic of learning processes. :rolleyes:

adventuresciencecenter21.jpg

Cosmic Commando

I know what I am about to say is sacrilege. But im all for them gutting east and west and putting the fair events that occupy the wonders of life in there. If it brings back the wonders of life. East and west are already shells of what they used to be anyways. Of course the better idea would be to bring back all of these spaces to their former glory.

I would love for each side to get its own identity, even if it's a radical departure from Innoventions/Communicore. I actually used and enjoyed more stuff in Innoventions than probably 95% of guests on my last trip: Kim Possible (it was still KP back then), Where's the Fire?, Great Piggy Bank Adventure, Test the Limits, Sum of All Thrills, etc. I say that only to make the point that I have/had absolutely no clue which side any of those things are on. If I wanted to find them, I just wandered around until I found a sign or something. Both sides look the same, and you can't see out the windows to give you context. I know the empty sitting hallway is by Imagination and Soarin', because you can see out into those areas from inside.

Thumper 32

FYI, today (12/29) the film portion of the IBM Think exhibit was closed off, and sorta looked like it might just be shut down already. Pretty disappointing if you were hoping to get a chance to see it before the exhibit closes later this week.

wdwfan4ver

I heard a rumor that Innoventions West as a whole will be closing in April, and that the Test the Limits area is being replaced by an exhibit sponsored by Glidden Paints. Supposedly with a Wonderful World of Color tie in, to open next December.
I hope the rumor of Innoventions West you mentioned is wrong. Epcot doesn't need anymore closed buildings or be used for special events only.

BoarderPhreak

I hate to sound like I'm beating the drum of What Once Was(TM) but remember all the activity in Communicore? It was packed! There was a lot to see and do, and it appealed to all ages. Science discovery for the young'uns, an apropos computer "ride" (Astuter Computer Revue), even SGI was there for a while with some really cutting edge virtual reality stuff (using a honkin' Onyx2 system, drool). The design and layout was bright, inviting and had that EPCOT Center flair.

ALL of that is missing in today's "Innoventions." It's a dark, dreary hole. A ghost town on the best of days, with only that one attraction (the name of which escapes me at the moment) pulling people in. IBM's THINK was nice in that it brought back some of that original touch.

NelsonRD

I hate to sound like I'm beating the drum of What Once Was(TM) but remember all the activity in Communicore? It was packed! There was a lot to see and do, and it appealed to all ages. Science discovery for the young'uns, an apropos computer "ride" (Astuter Computer Revue), even SGI was there for a while with some really cutting edge virtual reality stuff (using a honkin' Onyx2 system, drool). The design and layout was bright, inviting and had that EPCOT Center flair.

ALL of that is missing in today's "Innoventions." It's a dark, dreary hole. A ghost town on the best of days, with only that one attraction (the name of which escapes me at the moment) pulling people in. IBM's THINK was nice in that it brought back some of that original touch.

Unfortunately, this is part of the culture shift that has occurred. People have become desensitized to the wonders of computer technology, and would rather be entertained than educated. EPCOT was the first time I used/saw a touch screen display in the 80's as a child. There will always be some interesting futuristic things that would be nice to see like the water printer, or maybe some exhibits from the Intel museum.

Just an edit to my original post. There is enough interesting research activities currently in progress through disneyresearch that could fill both west and east.

Last edited:

dstrawn9889

a makerbot that can print out a Mickey figurine in a few moments would be cool to watch... but then i would just stand close and yell, 'tea, earl grey, hot'

BoarderPhreak

Unfortunately, this is part of the culture shift that has occurred. People have become desensitized to the wonders of computer technology, and would rather be entertained than educated. EPCOT was the first time I used/saw a touch screen display in the 80's as a child. There will always be some interesting futuristic things that would be nice to see like the water printer, or maybe some exhibits from the Intel museum.

Just an edit to my original post. There is enough interesting research activities currently in progress through disneyresearch that could fill both west and east.

True, technology doesn't have that sense of awe anymore, as it did in the 80s... Then there's that whole entertainment vs. education shift (prevalent in all of FW). But there's still plenty of cool new things to explore. Like you said, developments from Intel, Disney Research, the animation studios - perhaps on a wall of ultra-HD 8k displays, etc. Or as dstrawn9889 says - a Makerbot. Even NASA could (should!) get involved by having a mock-up of Orion or a shuttle for kids to climb around in. It might just boost interest in the space program a little, which it direly needs.

FutureWorld1982

Now that I think about it, it's interesting to see these two particular attractions closing, as they are both staffed by Innoventions GREETERS (the only other exhibit they run is the Great Piggy Bank Adventure). Most of the other exhibits use Innoventions PRESENTERS (Where's the Fire?, Stormstruck, Habit Heroes, Vision House, etc...). Sum of All Thrills has its own Cast Members, which are different from either of the other two categories.

"Why is that of any importance?", you may ask.

Well, all FastPass+ Cast Members are currently being trained in other attractions, as there will soon be no longer FastPass-only Cast Members. The kiosks will soon be staffed by attraction cast members, which will be different based on the park and themed area. In the case of Future World East and West, it seems like Innoventions cast was chosen for this. The closure of these two exhibits allows for about three or four Cast Members that will be available to staff the kiosks.

Conspiracy, or coincidence? ;-)

NelsonRD

We need to engage children more in STEM programs, and Innovations was part of supplying that interest. One of the problems I have is how 'uncool' being smart is today. When I was younger, being smart was impressive, now it is mocked. I am prepared to face the attack, but terrible television shows like The Big Bang Theory only support the stereotype that smart people are sweater-vest wearing, socially inept, geeks who play video games and watch star wars all day.

BoarderPhreak

We need to engage children more in STEM programs, and Innovations was part of supplying that interest. One of the problems I have is how 'uncool' being smart is today. When I was younger, being smart was impressive, now it is mocked. I am prepared to face the attack, but terrible television shows like The Big Bang Theory only support the stereotype that smart people are sweater-vest wearing, socially inept, geeks who play video games and watch star wars all day.

See, I feel the exact opposite. Back in the day you were a "nerd." Today you're a "geek." The latter is entirely different from the former. And I find TBBT to be funny (if taken in the context it's meant to be; laughing at ourselves).

No matter. Think of us "smart people" however you wish. I'll have the last laugh on payday. :D

NelsonRD

See, I feel the exact opposite. Back in the day you were a "nerd." Today you're a "geek." The latter is entirely different from the former. And I find TBBT to be funny (if taken in the context it's meant to be; laughing at ourselves).

No matter. Think of us "smart people" however you wish. I'll have the last laugh on payday. :D

I agree, I look at my education/experience and skills as more than just a paycheck, but as future job security, and employable options. My girls are too young right now to gauge the opinions of how smart kids/hard workers are viewed today opposed to when I was kid.

Last edited:

Tom Morrow

Now that I think about it, it's interesting to see these two particular attractions closing, as they are both staffed by Innoventions GREETERS (the only other exhibit they run is the Great Piggy Bank Adventure). Most of the other exhibits use Innoventions PRESENTERS (Where's the Fire?, Stormstruck, Habit Heroes, Vision House, etc...). Sum of All Thrills has its own Cast Members, which are different from either of the other two categories.

"Why is that of any importance?", you may ask.

Well, all FastPass+ Cast Members are currently being trained in other attractions, as there will soon be no longer FastPass-only Cast Members. The kiosks will soon be staffed by attraction cast members, which will be different based on the park and themed area. In the case of Future World East and West, it seems like Innoventions cast was chosen for this. The closure of these two exhibits allows for about three or four Cast Members that will be available to staff the kiosks.

Conspiracy, or coincidence? ;-)
Interesting information, but they wouldn't close exhibits just to not have to staff one or two CM's at them.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom