The Spirited Back Nine ...

WDW1974

Original Poster
No, not as in golf. Do I look like a typical Bay Hill resident while rockin' the jorts in Dizzy World?

No, just back nine as I'm back from a week in O-Town where I met with my favorite hillbilly -- @Lee -- and his better half and where they now sell moonshine at EPCOT (no, REALLY!)

Back after finally experiencing Diagon Alley (yes, loved it ... but, no, it isn't close to perfect). Back after realizing that the last two weeks in October may be great weather wise (nights in the low 60s!!!) :) :) :) but the crowds are horrendous and every second person at EPCOT or HHNs seems to be drunk or high or both (and they aren't the quiet and relaxed types!) and that's just the people who work there (drum roll @Lee!)

Back for a ninth thread of some news and rumors and discussion and, inevitably, someone saying it isn't news because it isn't me making stuff up about the new Hulk, Groot and Snow White stage show at America Gardens Theater.

Back for a ninth thread that no one on the Twitter (especially my pal Andy 'Fidel's Little Bro' Castro who disappointed me royally by not showing up with Dusty, Fishbulb and the Micechat bois because I sure wanted to give him a hug because he really seems to need it!) will ever read. They'll just absorb it like they have ESPN3 or ESPNU or ESPNME or something.

But just as the 'back nine' in golf are the home stretch (or in Tiger Woods case something entirely different!) for duffers everywhere, this will likely be my wind down here again for a bit due to too much real world stuff.

So, here we go.

First, let's get this out of the way: Stars, Cars and Toys are coming to The Park Soon To Be Formerly Known as Disney's Hollywood Studios ... it will always be TPFKaTD-MGMS to me anyway.

Budgets have been approved. The scope of the total budget is less than what NGE cost, but around what DCA 2.0 got (spread out over five years starting right now).

Since there are conflicting tales regarding the makeup of the new things, why don't you just sit back, unzip those jorts a bit, let the fat ooze on out, open up a cold one and listen to what I do know.

Construction starts in phases right after the holidays, but the most major work will likely commence right after Easter. There are some things still in flux, but understand this:

The only things you can count on existing come 2019 would be ToT, RnRC, TSMM and ST. And two of those could be altered somewhat. It is likely that 1-2 other current aspects of the park will still exist, but possible none will. This huge makeover will affect everything from adding new attractions and reskinning existing ones to adding new food and beverage to retail and restrooms (area development as it is called).

I wouldn't want to visit the park (I didn't on this visit). No matter how great you think the ToT (the one with the consistently bad audio issues now) may be, who goes to a park for one attraction or even 3-4 (are there more than that at DHS?)

I have heard that Disney plans more entertainment during the 'transition' as its being termed, likely a semi-regular fireworks show (could it be Frozen? You know they can't let it go ... so do Bill and Ted, but that's another subject.)

There will be a few major attractions as part of this, and when I say few that usually means two. There will also be ... others, the kind that only insane folks plan $5,000 weeks at WDW on.

I said this last year, but I think I was just off by a year, but don't plan on the Ozzy and Sharon and Fam Lightacular come winter 2015. At least in current form and locale.

When will this be announced? I've been told Disney was (and may still be) going the DVC route ... you know, the one where Contemporary North closed in 9/06 and they started demolishing it and building a giant timeshare tower while pretending nothing was going on?

But realize this is a five-year plan. Meaning Robert A. Iger and George A. Kalogridis and any exec with a middle initial over 50 will likely be gone when it is all done.

Before I move on to other issues, I can't believe the Seventh Heaven is still going strong at 1000 pages. I guess y'all have a lot to say or a lot of time on your hands or you're rich and don't work or screw around while at work or a bit of all of the above.

Last edited:

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
No, not as in golf. Do I look like a typical Bay Hill resident while rockin' the jorts in Dizzy World?

No, just back nine as I'm back from a week in O-Town where I met with my favorite hillbilly -- @Lee -- and his better half and where they now sell moonshine at EPCOT (no, REALLY!)

Back after finally experiencing Diagon Alley (yes, loved it ... but, no, it isn't close to perfect). Back after realizing that the last two weeks in October may be great weather wise (nights in the low 60s!!!) :) :) :) but the crowds are horrendous and every second person at EPCOT or HHNs seems to be drunk or high or both (and they aren't the quiet and relaxed types!) and that's just the people who work there (drum roll @Lee!)

Back for a ninth thread of some news and rumors and discussion and, inevitably, someone saying it isn't news because it isn't me making stuff up about the new Hulk, Groot and Snow White stage show at America Gardens Theater.

Back for a ninth thread that no one on the Twitter (especially my pal Andy 'Fidel's Little Bro' Castro who disappointed me royally by not showing up with Dusty, Fishbulb and the Micechat bois because I sure wanted to give him a hug because he really seems to need it!) will ever read. They'll just absorb it like they have ESPN3 or ESPNU or ESPNME or something.

But just as the 'back nine' in golf are the home stretch (or in Tiger Woods case something entirely different!) for duffers everywhere, this will likely be my wind down here again for a bit due to too much real world stuff.

So, here we go.

First, let's get this out of the way: Stars, Cars and Toys are coming to The Park Soon To Be Formerly Known as Disney's Hollywood Studios ... it will always be TPFKaTD-MGMS to me anyway.

Budgets have been approved. The scope of the budget is less than what NGE cost, but around what DCA 2.0 got (spread out over five years starting right now).

Since there's conflicting tales regarding the makeup of the new things, why don't you just sit back, unzip those jorts a bit, let the fat ooze on out, open up a cold one and listen to what I do know.

Construction starts in phases right after the holidays, but the most major work will likely commence right after Easter. There are some things still in flux, but understand this:

The only things you can count on existing come 2019 would be ToT, RnRC, TSMM and ST. And two of those could be altered somewhat. It is likely that 1-2 other current aspects of the park will still exist, but possible none will. This huge makeover will affect everything from adding new attractions and reskinning existing ones to adding new food and beverage to retail and restrooms (area development as it is called).

I wouldn't want to visit the park (I didn't on this visit). No matter how great you think the ToT (the one with the consistently bad audio issues now) may be, who goes to a park for one attraction or even 3-4 (are there more than that at DHS?)

I have heard that Disney plans more entertainment during the 'transition' as its being termed, likely a semi-regular fireworks show (could it be Frozen? You know they can't let it go ... so do Bill and Ted, but that's another subject.)

There will be a few major attractions as part of this, and when I say few that usually means two. There will also be ... others, the kind that only insane folks plan $5,000 weeks at WDW on.

I said this last year, but I think I was just off by a year, but don't plan on the Ozzy and Sharon and Fam Lightacular come winter 2015. At least in current form and locale.

When will this be announced? I've been told Disney was (and may still be) going the DVC route ... you know, the one where Contemporary North closed in 9/06 and they started demolishing it and building a giant timeshare tower while pretending nothing was going on?

But realize this is a five-year plan. Meaning Robert A. Iger and George A. Kalogridis and any exec with a middle initial over 50 will likely be gone when it is all done.

Before I move on to other issues, I can't believe the Seventh Heaven is still going strong at 1000 pages. I guess y'all have a lot to say or a lot of time on your hands or you're rich and don't work or screw around while at work or a bit of all of the above.

Welcome back Spirit, Just set back and relax and have a mason jar of pure shine...

Lee

Adventurer
smileyDrumRoll.gif

tirian

Since this was planned a few years ago and kept having false starts, can you elaborate on what finally pushed the decision?

So, here we go.

Budgets have been approved. The scope of the budget is less than what NGE cost, but around what DCA 2.0 got (spread out over five years starting right now).

Since there's conflicting tales regarding the makeup of the new things, why don't you just sit back, unzip those jorts a bit, let the fat ooze on out, open up a cold one and listen to what I do know.

MarkTwain

Star, Cars and Toys... sounds like some sort of Star Tours expansion, Radiator Springs Racers, and Toy Story Land got approved then? One (maybe two) out of three ain't bad I guess... Shame about Great Movie Ride though. And was that a hint about an extra-cost attraction?

Good to have you back Spirit. :)

WDW1974

Original Poster
Let's also not forget some UNI news (that those Twits will attack and attempt to ignorantly discredit because ... well, they take UNI like some inner lifeforce) here.

Budgets are being slashed or looked at across the board.

The water park has had 'significant' cuts that will affect the quality of the product according to my source who we shall call 'Gwyneth' (are you watching Olaf on Kimmel now?!!) This is fact. Not rumor. Not conjecture. Not BS.

The ONLY project that has yet to see the budget ax has been Kong.

There is deep concern among many in Creative that Thierry Coup and Co. could be hacking the blue sky third gate, which has been described as ''incredible'' to me.

Understand this is all despite the amazing numbers that Comcast posted last week. And get that this is the same trap that Michael Eisner fell into at Disney (20% growth annually, remember?) DA has been a phenomenal hit ... and yet that just isn't enough. There always has to be more, more, more.

The idea that Burke, Williams and Co are great guys who love the parks and just want to make them as great as can be for some noble cause is laughable. They are investing in the parks because they are an underexploited asset (see WDW circa mid-80s). Only Wall Street demands far more, far quicker now ...

BTW, thanks Gwyn for the personal tour and time. Fascinating. As usual.

Mike S

Let's also not forget some UNI news (that those Twits will attack and attempt to ignorantly discredit because ... well, they take UNI like some inner lifeforce) here.

Budgets are being slashed or looked at across the board.

The water park has had 'significant' cuts that will affect the quality of the product according to my source who we shall call 'Gwyneth' (are you watching Olaf on Kimmel now?!!) This is fact. Not rumor. Not conjecture. Not BS.

The ONLY project that has yet to see the budget ax has been Kong.

There is deep concern among many in Creative that Thierry Coup and Co. could be hacking the blue sky third gate, which has been described as ''incredible'' to me.

Understand this is all despite the amazing numbers that Comcast posted last week. And get that this is the same trap that Michael Eisner fell into at Disney (20% growth annually, remember?) DA has been a phenomenal hit ... and yet that just isn't enough. There always has to be more, more, more.

The idea that Burke, Williams and Co are great guys who love the parks and just want to make them as great as can be for some noble cause is laughable. They are investing in the parks because they are an underexploited asset (see WDW circa mid-80s). Only Wall Street demands far more, far quicker now ...

BTW, thanks Gwyn for the personal tour and time. Fascinating. As usual.
Well that sucks. The water park was supposed to be amazing. Also that third park. Man I hate Wall Street.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Since this was planned a few years ago and kept having false starts, can you elaborate on what finally pushed the decision?

One thing: they had no other choice. The park would have died (no, not closed or anything, but just been a place where folks visit only for hops and spend no money).

There isn't anything there any longer.

The holdup was a few factors that we've discussed and, likely, a few we don't know. But it had to finally happen and now is finally.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom