The Spirited Seventh Heaven ...

Mike S

I think the number comes from much of the rockwork being allocated to Mermaid not that the ride itself cost that much. Perhaps the real insiders have a better view of what Mermaid cost.
How I remember it is that the $100 million figure was for the DCA version. One can only wonder what all that rock work made the MK version cost :rolleyes: Meanwhile all of Diagon Alley cost around $265 million I believe.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
How I remember it is that the $100 million figure was for the DCA version. One can only wonder what all that rock work made the MK version cost :rolleyes: Meanwhile all of Diagon Alley cost around $265 million I believe.

I remember that as well and that seems about right for the nicer DCA version, There have been grumblings about WDI's excessive costs by OLC as well.

Zac Skellington

Yeah, I'll be good until then. It's not like I'm dying to ride POTC or Splash again. I can wait a few years. It's saying something that WDW hasn't only matched Gringotts, but they haven't even matched Forbidden Journey or Spidey or Transformers.

Pitiful how far the "worldwide leader" has fallen behind.
What's really sad, is I was excited to take the wife and kids on Splash last Fall because everything was working... As far as Disney goes, my children are Generation Lost. We're going to Uni in 6 weeks, kiss them goodbye. Hopefully our first trip to DLR next Summer will put them right. (Not that there is anything wrong with Uni...)

TalkingHead

What's really sad, is I was excited to take the wife and kids on Splash last Fall because everything was working... As far as Disney goes, my children are Generation Lost. We're going to Uni in 6 weeks, kiss them goodbye. Hopefully our first trip to DLR next Summer will put them right. (Not that there is anything wrong with Uni...)

Good luck with that. Methinks WDW is losing many of the younger generation. But all is good as long as the stock price is up.

BrerJon

I remember that as well and that seems about right for the nicer DCA version, There have been grumblings about WDI's excessive costs by OLC as well.

Does anyone with knowledge of such things know why projects seem to be so much more expensive at WDW than Universal? I know why they take five times as long, because it's spreading out capex costs for the shareholders, but I don't understand why they're so much more expensive.

Wouldn't they be using the same pool of construction contractors, the same material suppliers etc... I can't see where the discrepancy could come from.

PhotoDave219

Does anyone with knowledge of such things know why projects seem to be so much more expensive at WDW than Universal? I know why they take five times as long, because it's spreading out capex costs for the shareholders, but I don't understand why they're so much more expensive.

Wouldn't they be using the same pool of construction contractors, the same material suppliers etc... I can't see where the discrepancy could come from.

I want to say we went into this about a year ago? Short version? It all has to do with WDI. WDI is the only source a Disney park can get their creative attractions, rides, anything really…

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom