2015: The year of the EPCOT makeover?

Siren

It's been well known for years now.

In part is is a requirement of the original 1980's deal signed with the French Government. So no, it is not DVC led.
Thanks, that's very interesting. The place is so massive and with it opening in 2016, I believe Disneyland Paris will fare very well.

It was going to close to be updated. Not to be ripped out and rethemed.

If the company are so desperate for an attendence boost that they ruin further what little purpose and theming Showcase had left then they're in an even worse state that we thought.

They built a whole New Fantasyland for toons. That's where they belong. Unless DHS has some spare room. Funnily enough....
How will World Showcase be ruined by Frozen? I tried to come up with an analogy for this, but it's not gonna happen tonight -- every time I type one word my phone goes off? Is that a sign, lol?

I will simply ask, is it too much to have an open mind and wait to see what the final outcome of Frozestrom will be, *before* you declare the ruin of World Showcase? It's okay to be upset but you might just like the new attraction.

I miss the old test track, I loved the hot and cold room and for me it was much more fun. But, I didn't declare the ruin of Epcot! I'll always have those memories, and I still enjoy the new ride.

This overlay will enchant a whole new generation. The theme of Maelstrom encompassed the history of mythological Norway -- myths are imagined stories. Frozen is an imagined story inspired by Norwegian culture. It's not that far of a departure, imo.

The infrastructure is already in place, so $85,000,000 is a decent budget, right? Cedar Point built the GateKeeper for 25 million, give or take. Disney could build three Gatekeeper's cheaper than this Frozestrom overlay.

qrak1w.jpg
I will remain cautiously optimistic and I really want to like this, so we'll see.

jensenrick

I'm going to try to make this quick. I just wanted to share this because I know how much you *love* Frozen and fashion! I'm sitting in front of this screen with giant hair rollers and I'm typing this as fast as I can because I have this GlamGlow face mud all of over my face and it's drying so quickly, my face is starting to hurt, I can't move it!

So, Good Morning America unveiled the Elsa inspired wedding dress this week, all the media outlets featured the dress. So, here it is.
2m86007.jpg

o019hi.jpg

Fashionista reports that 'FROZEN' QUEEN ELSA IS THE SURPRISE TREND OF BRIDAL WEEK "It's looking to be an eternal winter for spring 2015."

In addition to the Elsa wedding dress, there were other designers who were inspired by Elsa. This designer used a minimalist approach in design execution.

34qok1f.jpg

"pale, icy blue is looking to be a big bridal trend for spring 2015" -Fashionista

As a young woman, I can understand wanting to look and feel like a princess on your wedding day, so I get the Cinderella inspired wedding dresses. But, I'm not entirely sold on the Elsa wedding dress concept.
I am surprised by the positive reactions and feedback.

So, I think it's going to be very popular, especially with the price point at an affordable at $1599. I must admit that I've seen far better at that price point, probably lower. And really, Disney should not have bothered with Elsa, they should have created a dress for Anna. Anna was engaged to Hans and then hooked up later with Kristoff -- they should have designed a wedding dress with her in mind, imo.

The designer's name is Alfred Angelo for the Disney Fairy Tale Weddings collections. I've never heard of this
designer before or this Disney Wedding collection.

I just hope Disney does not ruin Elsa's image. I really wish Disney would have gone with a high end designer and concept -- and then execute the design by utilizing affordable fabrics and materials -- so Disney can offer the dresses at a lower price point. Most high end designers have a diffusion line of some sort to accommodate mass retail.

Disney partnered with Barney's a couple years ago, for Disney's Electric Holiday. Lanvin, Balenciaga, Balmain, Dolce & Gabbana and other top design houses featured Disney characters modeling their custom designs.

Disney even collaborated with the shoe master himself, Christian Louboutin to design a Cinderella inspired pair of his iconic red bottoms to celebrate the Diamond Edition release of Cinderella.

21nnl29.jpg

1zocb2s.jpg

For me, Dior can do no wrong this season. I love how the designer/tailor wears a white coat! It's all so meticulous!

120le1h.jpg

Look at the Dior pride of craftsmanship when making a pair of sneakers!

Disney, please be careful with Queen Elsa, and protect her image -- she does not like cheap dress & shoes! Keep Queen Elsa glamorous and do not dumb her down for the the Walmart masses. Arrrrgh! I'm not talking about toy, costumes, and t-shirts, only the fashion.

Moving on to the Frozen ride -- after looking at this wedding dress thing, I am slighting holding my breath -- I'm not quite ready to panic, but I am inching toward that way very, very slowly.

If the Seven Dwarves Mine Train team is on this project, then I think Frozestrom has a pretty good chance of turning out nice. If it's the Little Mermaid team, then there is reason for pause, imo. Ariel was my favorite mermaid until I saw her hair on that ride. It's a cute ride but........

Anyway, after careful observation from all angles including both a micro and macro perspective, I surmise that the Frozen ladies ability to draw huge crowds all the way back to Norway had a substantial impact on the dynamics of the entire World Showcase -- resulting in huge profits and the side benefit of dispersing crowds. So naturally, once the frozen ladies departed for MK, World Showcase suffered a substantial decrease in profit. Disney realized they could no longer draw the huge numbers of people ($$$) back without Frozen.

In conclusion, I have no doubt that if the amount of "fans" or people who supposedly supported Maelstrom had been frequenting the ride and the Norway pavilion with the same tenacity,*prior* to Frozen and the announcement of the Maelstrom closing, the attraction would be still be here.

People just can't ignore something for decades and then jump on the bandwagon at the last minute, expecting to be taken seriously. And, unfortunately that's what may have happened here.

It is amazing how fashion is influenced by popular culture. It puts the lie to the idea that Frozen is only liked by six-year-old girls.

BrerJon

Whatever happened to the journey into imagination redo that every insider said was happening? Like if it got cancelled why did it get cancelled?

I'm just glad they didn't go through with that Phineas and Ferb makeover for Imagination that leaked out. Hopefully the moment has passed for that, but I'd be amazed if any Imagination redo wasn't IP based.

Haymarket2008

I'm just glad they didn't go through with that Phineas and Ferb makeover for Imagination that leaked out. Hopefully the moment has passed for that, but I'd be amazed if any Imagination redo wasn't IP based.
Just as long as it remains Figment. And for the love of god, bring back Dreamfinder. It is really an easy fix once they realize that they both need to be there. I remember reading something about how Iger adamantly said Figment, as a character, isn't going anywhere. So that makes me feel alot better. But this whole Muppets themed Imagination rumor a few people are posting about makes ZERO sense. And that would be the nail in the coffin for me. THAT is a hundred times more offensive to me than Frozen in Norway. It just will not happen.

BrerJon

But this whole Muppets themed Imagination rumor a few people are posting about makes ZERO sense. And that would be the nail in the coffin for me. THAT is a hundred times more offensive to me than Frozen in Norway. It just will not happen.

I dunno, the Dr Doofenschmirtz makeover plans could easily be changed to Bunsen and Beaker. If either concepts are Imagineering's idea of what would be good for the pavilion, I don't hold out a high opinion of their judgment, and suspect the likelihood of seeing Figment and Dreamfinder again is slim.

RSoxNo1

Thanks, that's very interesting. The place is so massive and with it opening in 2016, I believe Disneyland Paris will fare very well.

How will World Showcase be ruined by Frozen? I tried to come up with an analogy for this, but it's not gonna happen tonight -- every time I type one word my phone goes off? Is that a sign, lol?

I will simply ask, is it too much to have an open mind and wait to see what the final outcome of Frozestrom will be, *before* you declare the ruin of World Showcase? It's okay to be upset but you might just like the new attraction.

I miss the old test track, I loved the hot and cold room and for me it was much more fun. But, I didn't declare the ruin of Epcot! I'll always have those memories, and I still enjoy the new ride.

This overlay will enchant a whole new generation. The theme of Maelstrom encompassed the history of mythological Norway -- myths are imagined stories. Frozen is an imagined story inspired by Norwegian culture. It's not that far of a departure, imo.

The infrastructure is already in place, so $85,000,000 is a decent budget, right? Cedar Point built the GateKeeper for 25 million, give or take. Disney could build three Gatekeeper's cheaper than this Frozestrom overlay.

I will remain cautiously optimistic and I really want to like this, so we'll see.
Is the Gatekeeper a 4D coaster like X-2?

doctornick

I would actually be fine just with the first four. I've got no nostalgia for Horizons since I really have no memory of it and while a new country would be nice Future World needs more help.

Personally, I'm more interested in adding a ride (or rides!) to existing pavilions in WS more than adding a new country. Of course, I'm cool with a new country if it has a ride as well -- at opening.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

The purpose of World Showcase is to allow people to experience the culture of the countries represented in each pavilion. Frozen takes place in a fictional land, so putting a ride that tells the story of Frozen into the Norway pavilion violated that intention. Maelstrom had elements of Norwegian mythology which is a part of Norway's culture and history. The only connection Frozen has to Norway is that the creators of Frozen used it for inspiration but it's not meant to be an accurate representation of Norway. The ultimate quality of the ride is irrelevant to the discussion since not matter how good it is, it still doesn't fit in WS.

Siren

The purpose of World Showcase is to allow people to experience the culture of the countries represented in each pavilion. Frozen takes place in a fictional land, so putting a ride that tells the story of Frozen into the Norway pavilion violated that intention. Maelstrom had elements of Norwegian mythology which is a part of Norway's culture and history. The only connection Frozen has to Norway is that the creators of Frozen used it for inspiration but it's not meant to be an accurate representation of Norway. The ultimate quality of the ride is irrelevant to the discussion since not matter how good it is, it still doesn't fit in WS.
I totally disagree with the excessive rigidity presented here. There is plenty of room for interpretation, as to what can and cannot represent Norwegian culture. The country of Norway has not only openly embraced Frozen but admits to having benefited immensely from Frozen. The same can not be said of Maelstrom -- *ever*.

It is my understanding, that the Norway pavilion will still be there. I just *love* wearing Laila perfume and I used to walk all the way back to Norway every trip just to pick up a bottle. I haven't been back there, ever since Nordstrom started to carry the perfume.

Anyway, the country of Norway has credited Frozen with the huge boost in tourism it has received in recent months.

Here are a few snippets from a couple of well written articles.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-e...-a-bonanza-for-norwegian-tourism-9497045.html

https://www.yahoo.com/travel/film-tourism-and-the-frozen-phenomenon-frozens-90553256692.html

"Disney smash Frozen was inspired by Norway’s rugged landscape, and along with making box-office history, the animated feature is helping to break tourism records."

"And it is, in almost every measurable sense. Since the Frozen landing page was launched on the Visit Norway website in November, it has received more than 270,000 visits, which Barnes says is 10 times what a typical page receives. The movie has also boosted business for Norwegian Air Shuttle ASA, a low-cost carrier with routes from the US to Oslo. In March 2014, the airline's passenger traffic increased by 52 percent compared with March 2013."

"Searches for flights to Norway are up 153 percent, according to Flight Tracker. Hotel nights increased 37 percent in the first quarter of 2014 alone. The luxury travel agent network Virtuoso is reporting a 65 percent increase in bookings to Norway. And Disney’s 2015 Frozen-inspired maiden voyage out of the Scandinavian country is already almost sold out."

"Innovation Norway says viewers are also smitten by the film's stunning art direction, which presents digital
renderings of Norwegian life
, including charming stave churches, traditional "bunad" costumes and a sweeping
mountainous backdrop. "It put Norway on the map," says Beate Gran, Innovation Norway's digital media manager and marketing coordinator."

"Barnes says it was clear from advance clips of the film that the film-makers had done their research. Michael Giaimo, the movie's art director, travelled to Norway in 2011 and gained much of his inspiration from the city of Bergen, on the west coast."

Tourism for Norway is up 65% because of Frozen. Frozen has done more to spark *genuine* interest in the culture of Norway, in a mere matter of months than Maelstrom has in it's almost thirty year existence at Epcot.

I would have preferred a brand new Frozen ride, as I hate to lose an attraction. But, I can understand why Disney has chosen to replace Maelstrom. And frankly, I really can't wait to see the new Frozen attraction!

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I totally disagree with the excessive rigidity presented here. There is plenty of room for interpretation, as to what can and cannot represent Norwegian culture. The country of Norway has not only openly embraced Frozen but admits to having benefited immensely from Frozen. The same can not be said of Maelstrom -- *ever*.

It is my understanding, that the Norway pavilion will still be there. I just *love* wearing Laila perfume and I used to walk all the way back to Norway every trip just to pick up a bottle. I haven't been back there, ever since Nordstrom started to carry the perfume.

Anyway, the country of Norway has credited Frozen with the huge boost in tourism it has received in recent months.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-e...-a-bonanza-for-norwegian-tourism-9497045.html

https://www.yahoo.com/travel/film-tourism-and-the-frozen-phenomenon-frozens-90553256692.html

"Disney smash Frozen was inspired by Norway’s rugged landscape, and along with making box-office history, the animated feature is helping to break tourism records."

"And it is, in almost every measurable sense. Since the Frozen landing page was launched on the Visit Norway website in November, it has received more than 270,000 visits, which Barnes says is 10 times what a typical page receives. The movie has also boosted business for Norwegian Air Shuttle ASA, a low-cost carrier with routes from the US to Oslo. In March 2014, the airline's passenger traffic increased by 52 percent compared with March 2013."

"Searches for flights to Norway are up 153 percent, according to Flight Tracker. Hotel nights increased 37 percent in the first quarter of 2014 alone. The luxury travel agent network Virtuoso is reporting a 65 percent increase in bookings to Norway. And Disney’s 2015 Frozen-inspired maiden voyage out of the Scandinavian country is already almost sold out."

"Innovation Norway says viewers are also smitten by the film's stunning art direction, which presents digital
, including charming stave churches, traditional "bunad" costumes and a sweeping
mountainous backdrop. "It put Norway on the map," says Beate Gran, Innovation Norway's digital media manager and marketing coordinator."

"Barnes says it was clear from advance clips of the film that the film-makers had done their research. Michael Giaimo, the movie's art director, travelled to Norway in 2011 and gained much of his inspiration from the city of Bergen, on the west coast."

Tourism for Norway is up 65% because of Frozen. Frozen has done more to spark *genuine* interest in the culture of Norway, in a mere matter of months than Maelstrom has in it's almost thirty year existence at Epcot.

I would have preferred a brand new Frozen ride, as I hate to lose an attraction. But, I can understand why Disney has chosen to replace Maelstrom. And frankly, I really can't wait to see the new Frozen attraction!

There is no doubt that Frozen has helped Norway tourism, but having a movie inspire people to see the real thing is a lot different then throwing a fictional movie into a pavilion about a real place. Imagine taking your kids to World Showcase so they can see what these countries are like. Then we come to Norway and they can sample some of the food, see some artifacts in the Stave Church, but then we get to the Frozen ride and you have to say to them the things they see in this ride may or may not have any relation to the real Norway.

Siren

Is the Gatekeeper a 4D coaster like X-2?
I have never heard of X2, but thanks for bringing it to my attention. I have loved roller coasters ever since I was a little girl and my parents would always take me to this cute little amusement park called Kennywood -- then we moved, so Cedar Point and Kings Islands were a little closer. After my first trip to Disney, I never went to back Cedar Point, Kings Island or Kennywood, lol.

Honestly, the X2 coaster looks a million times better than the Gatekeeper, and I see that it cost twice as much to build. I don't know but Cedar point used to be number one, I hope they're not slipping!

I only mentioned Gatekeeper because it was so cheap to build -- Disney could be three Gatekeepers for less than the Frozen overlay. With most of the infrastructure already in place, I'm hopeful that the $85 million dollar budget will do the new Frozen attraction justice.

Mike S

So, if Captain America somehow increased tourism to the U.S., it would be fine for Disney to bulldoze The American Adventure for a Captain America ride (assuming they somehow got the rights to Marvel in Florida)?

gmajew

Premium Member
Do you want to build a snowman? That is going to be part of our kids culture for the rest of their lives... No one can doubt that.

Does it belong in Epcot or not if we all knew the answer to this we would not be sitting behind a keyboard making a stink about its placement.

Business sense Malestrom was a crappy ride that had a line because Epcot is lacking rides, its throughput sucked... If these issues dont get fixed Frozen will have a longer wait for a new attraction but not fix anything else except it will draw more families into Epcot which means more money for the restaurants and the park.

CentralFLlife

I have never heard of X2, but thanks for bringing it to my attention. I have loved roller coasters ever since I was a little girl and my parents would always take me to this cute little amusement park called Kennywood -- then we moved, so Cedar Point and Kings Islands were a little closer. After my first trip to Disney, I never went to back Cedar Point, Kings Island or Kennywood, lol.

Honestly, the X2 coaster looks a million times better than the Gatekeeper, and I see that it cost twice as much to build. I don't know but Cedar point used to be number one, I hope they're not slipping!

I only mentioned Gatekeeper because it was so cheap to build -- Disney could be three Gatekeepers for less than the Frozen overlay. With most of the infrastructure already in place, I'm hopeful that the $85 million dollar budget will do the new Frozen attraction justice.
I dont understand how Cedar Point was ever number 1, that place is a joke. And 25 million buys you a lot better than Gatekeeper, Millennium Force cost 25million.
millennium_vista.jpg

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
There is no doubt that Frozen has helped Norway tourism, but having a movie inspire people to see the real thing is a lot different then throwing a fictional movie into a pavilion about a real place. Imagine taking your kids to World Showcase so they can see what these countries are like. Then we come to Norway and they can sample some of the food, see some artifacts in the Stave Church, but then we get to the Frozen ride and you have to say to them the things they see in this ride may or may not have any relation to the real Norway.
Now you're just being excessively rigid. After all, New Zealand promoting LoTR tourism was obviously to promote the close relationship between that country and the Tolkien works....

AEfx

So, if Captain America somehow increased tourism to the U.S., it would be fine for Disney to bulldoze The American Adventure for a Captain America ride (assuming they somehow got the rights to Marvel in Florida)?

If it was a pavilion in a foreign theme park that was meant (aside from being a dining/shopping establishment to generate revenue for the owners) was to pique interest in the country?

Yes, absolutely.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom