EPCOT Entertainment cuts

wannabeBelle

Original Poster
Exactly. I didn't care for the vocalist she seemed very plastic-y. Almost like an animatronic!! Also her vocals left a lot to be desired. I was sitting on the wall in front of the stage under the guitarist and I couldn't tell if she was singing in English or French. That cant be good!!! Also it was the same show at each set so that was a bit repetitive as well. Still better than nothing and could this be a small glimmer of hope?? Marie

FerretAfros

While looking for something else, I discovered that this will not be the first time that Disney has had a lumberjack show in their parks. As part of the State Fair Days campaign at Disneyland in the late 80's, they had a lumberjack show on Tom Sawyer Island. This was in the pre-Fantasmic! days, so the stage and viewing areas are quite different from today, but it may give us somewhat of an idea of what to expect in Epcot (though I'm not sure they could log rolling in World Showcase Lagoon)
tumblr_mbp3ysEvze1riam9do1_1280.jpg

There are some photos of the show itself on this blog:
http://matterhorn1959.blogspot.com/2012/12/lumberjack.html

And a couple quick shots of it in this video, starting at 6:28

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
So, based on yesterday's news of the death of World Showcase, I pulled out one of my favorite books: "Walt Disney's EPCOT Center - creating the new world of tomorrow", which was written prior to the opening of the park.
I was reading the intro to the World Showcase section and stumbled upon this line when discussing the entertainment:
"Artisans, artists, and performers, dressed in traditional costumes of their country, add life and zest to the pavilions: ... Lumbermen from Canada's great timber and logging areas demonstrate their skills in rip-roaring style"

Later in the Canada section:
"It's a bit of Paul Bunyan country, if indeed one can miniaturize a legend of such mammoth proportions, and here an appropriate show captures our fancy. Woodsmen smaller than Paul, but with no less determination, compete in the time-honored games of the great forest: log-rolling, tree-climbing, axe-throwing."

I don't think I remember them being there, but I would have been very young in 1982. Still, they are actually going back to an original entertainment offering!

CeciliaKy

Interesting turn of events. I have heard just this evening that the Canadian Voyageurs will be back for the holiday season. That is official and calls have gone out to all of the Off Kilter guys advising of this. I think this should give us all a glimmer of hope!!!! Whatcha think???? Marie
this makes me happy ... because we had to 86 our plans to go next weekend :( we do have a December trip booked, though. fingers crossed!

Thumper 32

Interesting turn of events. I have heard just this evening that the Canadian Voyageurs will be back for the holiday season. That is official and calls have gone out to all of the Off Kilter guys advising of this. I think this should give us all a glimmer of hope!!!! Whatcha think???? Marie

Not to toot my own horn, but I did point this out way back when the news of all these cuts first broke. The holiday voyageurs were included in the WDW holiday press release that came out just days (hours?) before the big cuts. But great to hear that it's further confirmed.

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/epcot-entertainment-cuts.889264/page-3#post-6297148

Last edited:

anita b

Mo Rockin (and especially their belly dancer) draw an enthusiastic crowd every time they go on; I can't believe theyif silly young men to a group of serious artists. We will miss them.would cut them. They may well be the biggest reason people stop at the Moroccan pavilion.

Here's hoping that the information isn't true, or if it is, that the acts will be replaced with acts comparable in quality.
Off kilter has been performing at Epcot fir a long time. We have enjoyed their music and the joy they brought to our family. We watched the bsnd change from a bunch I

anita b

PhotoDave219 said:
I cant address the question like Marie can as she's better connected with them.

HOWEVER.

When we're looking at almost all the Equity entertainment around Epcot rumored to be cut by the end of the fiscal year, it does not like sound like it would their decision.
We have been listening to offkilter since our kids were little. They are 31 and 24 now. We watched the band change from a silly group of young men to a serious artists.
they will be missed. The bennetts

wannabeBelle

Original Poster
Not to toot my own horn, but I did point this out way back when the news of all these cuts first broke. The holiday voyageurs were included in the WDW holiday press release that came out just days (hours?) before the big cuts. But great to hear that it's further confirmed.

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/epcot-entertainment-cuts.889264/page-3#post-6297148
Sorry Thumper, I missed that one!!! I dont always catch all of the threads on here as there is a lot of information going back and forth. The band themselves only found out the night I posted it. I wonder if it was in question as to if they were going to hire another band or ask back the Off Kilter guys who know the show already and are used to working together. In any event, I will gladly take what I can get but I'd love to see OK brought back, as themselves. In the meanwhile between the end of OK on 9/27/2014 and the beginning of the Voyageurs show around Thanksgiving (day after I am guessing) is the OK stage just going to be dark? Any ideas? Marie

Thumper 32

Sorry Thumper, I missed that one!!! I dont always catch all of the threads on here as there is a lot of information going back and forth. The band themselves only found out the night I posted it. I wonder if it was in question as to if they were going to hire another band or ask back the Off Kilter guys who know the show already and are used to working together. In any event, I will gladly take what I can get but I'd love to see OK brought back, as themselves. In the meanwhile between the end of OK on 9/27/2014 and the beginning of the Voyageurs show around Thanksgiving (day after I am guessing) is the OK stage just going to be dark? Any ideas? Marie

Definitely no need to apologize. Glad to hear OK will be back in some form, though given the recent decision making, it's kind of surprising they just didn't revert to the old Canada solo storyteller for the holidays that would be a lot cheaper.

I wonder if the stage will be under construction for some period of time to prepare for the lumberjack show?

wannabeBelle

Original Poster
I was kind of surprised myself honestly. I am not sure about the lumberjack show stage requirements. The act supposedly due to replace OK Is the Paul Bunyan Lumberjack show, check it out for yourselves:
Also be sure to check out their Facebook page as they are in need of two experiences Lumberjacks to work with them on this new show. I cant even make this stuff up!!!!!
And just in case you wanted to see what was replacing MoRockin' Here we go:

Not my kind of thing sorry!!!!
Marie

Thumper 32

I was kind of surprised myself honestly. I am not sure about the lumberjack show stage requirements. The act supposedly due to replace OK Is the Paul Bunyan Lumberjack show, check it out for yourselves:
Also be sure to check out their Facebook page as they are in need of two experiences Lumberjacks to work with them on this new show. I cant even make this stuff up!!!!!

Marie

Wow. Just wow.

First of all, in the hyper-safe Disney lawyer world, to have that show with chainsaws, flying wood chips, etc. Not to mention the environmental issues of just wasting lumber.

And then the replacement for Morocco. Can't imagine that being something to stop and watch. Might make for authentic background music, but just isn't something you watch for 20-30 min, like you could with he current groups.

asianway

Marie

They need to also hire an annoying Frenchman with a whistle. Just for more giggles

CeciliaKy

Just a reminder, the world showcase players ends tomorrow. As well as fife and drum. (Thursday)

Off Kilter & MoRoccin' ends Saturday.

Fwiw, kilter has been drawing a very large crowd.
I am so disappointed we couldn't make a trip happen. Hopefully someone will video some of the last shows. I am still stunned about the Fife & Drum Corps. And sad about Off Kilter. World Showcase won't be the same.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Just a reminder, the world showcase players ends tomorrow. As well as fife and drum. (Thursday)

Off Kilter & MoRoccin' ends Saturday.

Fwiw, kilter has been drawing a very large crowd.

All my favorite performers . . . gone. Thank goodness I got to see them over the years, and those memories will stay with me. Also, glad to hear that Off Kilter has been drawing a very large crowd; thank you for sharing that detail.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom