EPCOT Entertainment cuts

DisUniversal

Honestly, the big thing that bothers me with GMR is the terrible acting by the CMs. If you get quality performance CMs in the guide/gangster roles, then the ride seems perfectly fine as is. I mean, it should be refurbed and you could change a scene or two to keep things fresh, but there's nothing intrinsically wrong with the ride IMHO. The the poor acting of the CMs makes it tough to sit through repeatedly.
That's probably my biggest complaint as well. In fact, take out the whole gangster/wild west bull in the middle and update it with some additional movie scenes. That leads to getting rid of the whole Indiana Jones section which I could do without. That "Just goes to show you...anything can happen in the movies" is probably the biggest cringe moment in the whole attraction. Kill Tarzan. Dump Alien and replace it with something from Star Wars. Re-do the whole Fantasia section...it's lame as-is and make the finale an actual finale of some sort...not just random movie clips that switch every 2 seconds.

PlutoHasFleas

Honestly, the big thing that bothers me with GMR is the terrible acting by the CMs. If you get quality performance CMs in the guide/gangster roles, then the ride seems perfectly fine as is. I mean, it should be refurbed and you could change a scene or two to keep things fresh, but there's nothing intrinsically wrong with the ride IMHO. The the poor acting of the CMs makes it tough to sit through repeatedly.
Lol, that's accurate for the period though, there were a ton of lousy actors and terrible films that we ate up because there just wasn't much else then. Cheesy acting is a part of old Hollywood to me lol

DisUniversal

Indeed. I'd love to see GMR updated, but not gutted. Plus the scenes that are there (especially Fantasia...that one has nothing), and swap out a couple for some more recent classics (Titanic would make a great scene, as I always envision Luke and Leia swinging across the Death Star instead of Tarzan swinging across the jungle), but keep it with the same reverent tone. But I could do without the gangsters taking over the car stuff.
Titanic would be a great idea. Maybe have a room with water rushing in and upgrade the ride vehicles to sway a little bit like they are on a listing ship. A small scene from Forrest Gump would be cool...even if it's just an animatronic sitting on a bench. Of course, may not be possible (or cheap) to get the rights to these (otherwise an LotR scene would be at the top of the list as well), but it is possible to keep the soul of the ride intact while freshening it up a bit.

mickey2008.1

Indeed. I'd love to see GMR updated, but not gutted. Plus the scenes that are there (especially Fantasia...that one has nothing), and swap out a couple for some more recent classics (Titanic would make a great scene, as I always envision Luke and Leia swinging across the Death Star instead of Tarzan swinging across the jungle), but keep it with the same reverent tone. But I could do without the gangsters taking over the car stuff.
Replace the gangsters with storm troopers.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
Wizard of Oz....yes, Indiana Jones and Alien, probably. Everything else...unlikely. How many under 20 (or even 30) know who Johnny Weissmuller is? Gene Kelly? James Cagney? I don't know many who would even know or care who John Wayne is. How many people would agree that the best horror movies were made in the 30's and 40's?

Splash is a thrill ride that stands on it's own and doesn't make corny half-assed attempts to reference or pay tribute to the movie it's based on...a movie that very few have seen.

GMR is based on a trip though the "greatest" movies and spends much if it's time referencing one outdated movie after another.

Titanic would be a great idea. Maybe have a room with water rushing in and upgrade the ride vehicles to sway a little bit like they are on a listing ship. A small scene from Forrest Gump would be cool...even if it's just an animatronic sitting on a bench. Of course, may not be possible (or cheap) to get the rights to these (otherwise an LotR scene would be at the top of the list as well), but it is possible to keep the soul of the ride intact while freshening it up a bit.

Now if you had just started where you ended up, we'd all have been nodding our heads all along!

Mike S

The GMR feels like a classic EPCOT pavilion. :)
Funny you say that because it was originally supposed to BE an Epcot pavilion.
image.jpg

The story I've read said Michael Eisner thought the idea would work better as a whole new park and Disney-MGM Studios was born.

DisUniversal

Funny you say that because it was originally supposed to BE an Epcot pavilion.
View attachment 65089
The story I've read said Michael Eisner thought the idea would work better as a whole new park and Disney-MGM Studios was born.
Probably would have worked better as an Epcot pavilion, but I think Universal probably scared Eisner into making it a park.

Used that image to find this interesting article...
http://www.studioscentral.com/history-great-movie-ride

...and this lengthy, but worth reading blog
http://insightsandsounds.blogspot.com/2014/05/the-25-year-history-of-disneys.html

Last edited:

John

Unless you have something to back that up, that's just a matter of personal opinion, and means nothing more than someone else who holds that Stitch or the current Journey into Imagination are the greatest things Disney has ever created. Your opinion is perfectly valid, but only for yourself.

That's a different argument. I doubt anybody here is going to argue that practically all attractions - and certainly The Great Movie Ride (GMR) - don't need periodic updates. That doesn't mean there is anything wrong with what's there, but rather that it hasn't been touched in so long. Of course, we all know Disney's recent track record with refurbishments; It is too often a code for "dumbed down", and the current GMR is superior to a compromised version.

Totally off-topic, but some people are deserving of respect by virtue of their position or status - your parents, your superiors at work, teachers, your pastor at church, etc. But that also doesn't mean we are free to treat other posters, or really anyone, with disrespect. Not saying that's what you or anyone did, of course.

Couldn't agree more, I would add in the any persons that is/was in the military. Police also deserve respect. But I think that goes without saying. I am done with the conversation. But I do appreciate your input. Anyone who knows me here knows that I am not confrontational by nature. Just got under my skin a little. If I met the guy a the park I would buy him a beer or cup of coffee. Its all good.

wannabeBelle

Original Poster
Interesting turn of events. I have heard just this evening that the Canadian Voyageurs will be back for the holiday season. That is official and calls have gone out to all of the Off Kilter guys advising of this. I think this should give us all a glimmer of hope!!!! Whatcha think???? Marie

wannabeBelle

Original Poster
For those who arent aware, the Canadian Voyaguers are the name give to Off Kilter for the Christmas Holiday season. I wasnt thrilled by the show itself or the female vocalist brought in to sing with the band, but it is something!!!! Marie

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
Interesting turn of events. I have heard just this evening that the Canadian Voyageurs will be back for the holiday season. That is official and calls have gone out to all of the Off Kilter guys advising of this. I think this should give us all a glimmer of hope!!!! Whatcha think???? Marie
I think I know what act I'll want to catch when I'm at WDW during the holidays. Thanks for the news.

willtravel

Is the name Off Kilter a Disney name/band? I guess what I am asking, can there be an Off Kilter band but different members and used whenever Disney wants?

dreamfinder

Interesting. Maybe someone realized that having nothing over there until the new act comes on wasn't a smart move. Or maybe Epcot just realized their holiday entertainment is a bit lacking of late?

wannabeBelle

Original Poster
Is the name Off Kilter a Disney name/band? I guess what I am asking, can there be an Off Kilter band but different members and used whenever Disney wants?
No Off Kilter came to Disney with that name so it is theirs to use Disney cant just swap in any one they want. MANY other bands at Disney are like that, but not in this case. I have seen them play under the Off Kilter name at Irish Fests in Indianapolis using that name. I was told that is pretty unique as most band have a stage name they use off property. For example Mulch, Sweat & Shears is Los Lawn Boys outside of Disney. Marie

ABQ

I agree with you Marie. The female vocalist with the Canadian Voyageurs was nothing special and more of a detraction than anything. However, some sort of holiday music playing there over the Christmas season is better than a chainsaw trying to play Jingle Bells, I guess.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom