The Spirited Seventh Heaven ...

WDW1974

Original Poster
Now -- I'm not going to sit here and harp on someone's weight -- I'd be a black-calling kettle. But I'm all in favor of "appropriate casting". If the casting is poor enough where the children who do still believe, are losing their innocence by the mere appearance of a poorly casted character -- it's absolutely horrendous show. It's unforgivable. I believe it's still a fireable offense for a character CM at WDW to break character, no? How is it any different when their very appearance does the job anyway?

Great post. Quoted the most important part above. ... But you nailed a very important point about casting and one that Disney has lost focus on in an effort to pay as little as possible.

It's definitely worth reading again!

FigmentJedi

You don't want to be akin to WDW fans who think the place has never been better and won't visit DL let alone UNI. Big Bang Theory isn't for everyone, but it is damn fine comedy ... and the fact its is more popular in Season 8 than ever sorta proves that.
Mentioning a random "Nerdy Thing" or trotting out tired old nerd cliches followed by a laugh track is not damn fine comedy.

Mike C

Mentioning a random "Nerdy Thing" or trotting out tired old nerd cliches followed by a laugh track is not damn fine comedy.

I'm not a tremendous fan of the show, but I did attend a taping of it a little over a year and a half ago (The episode with Wil Wheaton and LeVar Burton and fun with flags) It's a live studio audience, not a laugh track, but like most of the live audience sitcoms, it's cold inside and they keep the audience going. It was fun to watch, and even through multiple takes it was still funny. They did give us pizza and water halfway through the taping, though.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Totally agree.
Parsons winning over Gervsis was just...wrong.:facepalm:

And, hey...I loved Breaking Bad. Cranston was amazing for the whole run.
But to give him another Emmy over McConaughey in True Detective?!?!? :banghead:
I'm starting to wonder if the voters even watched all the shows...

Come now, @Lee. If you are going to complain about someone not winning at least spell their name rite, Ok?

Gervais is quite talented, and I haven't seen his show. But neither have most people as it gets a tiny audience compared to those network sitcoms ... you know on ABC and CBS both of which won't exist in three years as you buy content a la carte from those folks who own the distribution channels on your iPhone76.3 (that's the one where Suri Jobs talks dirty to you for free!)

I never saw True Detective either. But I doubt it would have changed my mind. Cranston has been amazing on BB for its entire run.

The voters most definitely haven't watched all the shows. That's just not possible. That would like being a fanboi and visiting every theme park. What they do is watch the episodes that are submitted for the nomination. I have DVDs from many years (not this one) of review copies that get returned to the Academy. The decision is, ostensibly, based on the submission and not everyone is going to be the best. It's just a taste of the work. The voter may or may not be familiar with the shows.

I know from watching Breaking Bad that it never had a bad episode ... or a wasted episode in the narrative.

Last edited:

WDW1974

Original Poster
I am obviously not going to be able to explain my thoughts on adult directed vs. child directed because everyone is hung up on how many places there are to get drunk to define that. If I took that stance it would be the opposite of what I said. Perhaps, what I am referring to is the "adult" cult following that DLR has had for a number of years now. It is the idea that there are way more people that spend unbelievable amounts of time at DL then at WDW not necessarily in an alcohol induced drunken haze, (other methods of becoming high, I am not ruling out).

Of course, there are bucket loads of kids at DLR, but, it is not a "required" mindset that WDW has turned into. Although there are a lot of repeat guests at WDW, it is nothing, ratio wise, to DLR. Therefore they market differently, and for good reason. However, what do I know, I'm obviously pretty "stupid".

How often have you visited DLR? When were you last there?

'Adult cult''? I like it ... but I'd say it fits with Lifestylers who live at WDW (or UNI) just as much as those who spend far too much time at DLR.

WDW1974

Original Poster
There is, currently, only one WDW and only one Magic Kingdom, however, so the clarification in acronym need not exist.

I REALLY don't want to have this 'debate' ... but that just isn't true. DL and MK are both referred to as the MK. ... AND internally, at least, all castle parks are considered to be MKs.

But this is such an online circle (thing) that it isn't worth discussing ...

FigmentJedi

I'm not a tremendous fan of the show, but I did attend a taping of it a little over a year and a half ago (The episode with Wil Wheaton and LeVar Burton and fun with flags) It's a live studio audience, not a laugh track, but like most of the live audience sitcoms, it's cold inside and they keep the audience going. It was fun to watch, and even through multiple takes it was still funny. They did give us pizza and water halfway through the taping, though.
The fact that it's real people laughing at "I downloaded a poorly coded emulator" makes it even sadder.

bhg469

I think you should either watch the show and see if that's what the show is about or simply don't pontificate about it.

You don't want to be akin to WDW fans who think the place has never been better and won't visit DL let alone UNI. Big Bang Theory isn't for everyone, but it is damn fine comedy ... and the fact its is more popular in Season 8 than ever sorta proves that.
I've watched it many times on airplanes and when forced to at the inlaws. It cannot hold a candle to the genius of derek or the gut busting hilarity of The league.

bhg469

OK, these posts are both so wrong on so many levels that, even though they are different issues, I thought I'd respond in one post.

Just no and no ...
I have seen every actor do their thing in that category. Jim parsons was on the bottom 2 easily. There is no argument there but you are much much better at business strategy than you are at tv. No one's perfect sir.

I really respect you opinion but when a tv show, that I know is completely false, and it makes me laugh out loud and seconds later has me crying like a baby... That's magic to me.

Perhaps it's because I spent a lot of time in nursing homes and it was so touching to see his character but Gervais's character was amazing. I dare you to watch it and still think Parsons deserved an emmy.

Last edited:

PhotoDave219

Heck, on my College Program in 2012, I knew numerous CPs who would use GAC cards while in the parks. It was quite appalling.

The screwed up part? I have a bad back. I have bad knees. I have more pain than a lot of these people could possibly understand.

But that's just life. That doesn't mean I'm special. That doesn't mean I need special treatment. That doesn't mean I need to cut the line.

Unfortunately it seems like the world is not quite like that…

NearTheEars

So, WDW is planning upcharge premium 'options' DURING hard ticket events. I'll say it here, if you pay, then I think you're an imbecile.

I really don't think that's much different than people adding an up charge event or tour to a normal one-day park ticket.

The great thing about these events is that they are completely optional, and hey, if they bomb they will go away.

And so far, they haven't taken any current experiences away and added them to an up charge event.

The only ones so far that appealed to me were EPCOT After Hours and Harambe Nights. Those showed some value. But....... we still didn't go. Just can't fork over the money right now.

As I've said before, as long as they don't inconvenience the regular guest, then why not?

P.S. Have you heard about Lou giving paid tours at DHS in October?

WDW1974

Original Poster
You mean that amazing feature No one asked for or needed.. but yeah, it's probably coming and it will contribute to the downfall of Disney parks.

I wouldn't count on it. Parts of NGE will be incorporated into DLR if they can ... but there is no stomach for the kind of overreaching overbudget mess that WDW got. MAGIC Bands mean adding all of those touch points and that cost isn't going to be taken lightly.

They can still sell MAGIC Bands and have them interact with things in the parks if the choose.

SDL is being built with complete 'interactivity' programmed from Day 1 ... and you take that however you please. I just wouldn't take it to mean people who have never even been to ANY theme park before will be home making FP+ ressies. So, this will all be fascinating to watch.

I truly hope that SDL doesn't open and Bob Weis has a massive stroke or fatal heart attack by the end of its first year. Yes, the stress is THAT bad.

Again, how come no mainstream media outlet has picked up on this massive and costly delay in China? Could it be that no one knows? Or is it that Disney is changing the tale behind the scenes? The question really is what do I feel like doing about it ...

bhg469

I really don't think that's much different than people adding an up charge event or tour to a normal one-day park ticket.

The great thing about these events is that they are completely optional, and hey, if they bomb they will go away.

And so far, they haven't taken any current experiences away and added them to an up charge event.

The only ones so far that appealed to me were EPCOT After Hours and Harambe Nights. Those showed some value. But....... we still didn't go. Just can't fork over the money right now.

As I've said before, as long as they don't inconvenience the regular guest, then why not?

P.S. Have you heard about Lou giving paid tours at DHS in October?
Lou... ugh... I'd rather give him an unexpected ice bucket challenge.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I don't know, I didn't go to Burger King.

I know I missed some off-color joke or something that was edited away ... but I did want to mention the company since it has decided to buy Canada's favorite doughnut and coffee chain, Tim Horton's and base itself in Canada.

BTW, HQ for BK will, apparently, remain safely in BK's hometown of Miami.

For all those folks who think Disney is forever and BRANDS don't fade in relevance, please come back in five years and let's talk ... seriously, I don't think the day is far when BK has a few hundred units left worldwide and not thousands.

And we all know that Red Lobster is going to cease to exist in the near future.

yeah, I can hear ya ... that they aren't Dizzy World ... yep ...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom