Flamingo Crossing Hotels

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
Walt disliked the businesses that had sprung up around Disneyland and wanted control of a much larger area of land for the new project.

Guess this counts for jack these days.

The difference here is that Disney is controlling the land so they can dictate what gets built. Flamingo crossing is right on the edge of the property and pretty far aware from most of the parks.

roodlesnouter

maxresdefault.jpg

What good is land if you don't do anything with it, hmm? That construction noise you hear is the sound of inevitability.

I just look down the road at Universal, they had a load of land which they sold off. Guess what, they really could use that land now.

What is the point of going to all that trouble of buying pockets of land? Land purchased so as to not have to put up with unwanted outside businesses on or around your property, only to lease said land to outside companies.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
I just look down the road at Universal, they had a load of land which they sold off. Guess what, they really could use that land now.

What is the point of going to all that trouble of buying pockets of land? Land purchased so as to not have to put up with unwanted outside businesses on or around your property, only to lease said land to outside companies.

The point? $$$$

dstrawn9889

Walt disliked the businesses that had sprung up around Disneyland and wanted control of a much larger area of land for the new project.

Guess this counts for jack these days.
you have seen where this is right? you can hardly see the contemporary and EE from 429, it takes 10 minutes to go from 429 down western way to get to the all star resorts... nothing out there but property control and some large-ish warehouse structures(that can be barely be seen from WW, and grey/blackwater recycling/treatment plant)

prberk

Some construction folks I knew around the time HS was built said it was located there because the infrastructure build out was must less complex, faster, and smaller than if they located it else where plus the roadway access for guest was much cheaper and faster to build and apparently Eisner was bent on getting it out of the ground as quickly as possible. WDI (or was it still WED back then) wanted the park in another location with a substantially different foot print but the schedule mandated some compromises. The Swan and Dolphin where part of a rather elaborate deal with Tishman who was the general/lead contractor for the construction of Epcot Center. They originally were managed by another Tishman division, I believe under the Sheraton banner, and Met Life held the note for the buildings. Part of the reason Disney did it, along with getting some breaks presumably from Tishman, was that Disney back then had no hotel credibility and they couldn't convince any business folks to stay on property and Eisner - for all of his faults - was bright enough to know that Disney could become a convention destination and that would be difficult without hotels business people were willing to use.

Eisner actually was reported to have wanted the Swan and Dolphin stopped, but could not do it. Instead put a stop to further deals that might be developed, and instead put the Boardwalk and the build-out of the moderate resorts on a fast track. He knew that Disney could make more money owning the resorts and using that the advantage of the park visitorship as well (by making more on-property visitors). In doing so he reversed original ideas to limit on-property hotels (which originally were intended to be limited somewhat in deference to being seen as a good neighbor and allowing local hotels to have a share). He went full-force into Disney ownership and bigger build-out of the Disney hotels.

WDW1974

I believe @WDW1974 indicated that Disney would allow them to go ahead with the hotels if Marriott still wanted, but otherwise the project is dead.

That's largely the case. The Marriott deal has, apparently, been in the works for sometime. Disney wasn't going to back out. But they haven't been able to find others, so the land likely will be sold off and developed by others at lower rents.

jt04

Story in the Sentinel today says the area will be sports-oriented.

Yes and much more complex than was originally announced. Seems like whenever they revise plans anymore they are to add more components to the mix. I am still hoping for a Waffle House. Perkins or IHOP would be OK.

WTG TDO.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
Yes and much more complex than was originally announced. Seems like whenever they revise plans anymore they are to add more components to the mix. I am still hoping for a Waffle House. Perkins or IHOP would be OK.

WTG TDO.

Where are you getting the idea that this is more then originally announced? The basic facts about the project are the same that is listed on the Flamingo Crossing web site from 2009, the article just has a few more details about the hotels that are being built.

GrumpyFan

If Marriott is building two hotels here, I would look for a couple of chain restaurants at the very least to announce plans pretty soon as well.
Can't imagine those two being out there without any kind of food places.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom