Flamingo Crossing Hotels

Next Big Thing

Uh.

Apparently not?
I was talking about the Braves and possibly renewing their contract with Disney, which was what I was talking about when I mentioned renovations.

My point is... the Braves are easy revenue for Disney each year with the amount of people that come down as a part of a larger vacation, go see some games, go to the parks, stay at the hotels, etc. Losing that would be huge. I can't imagine they'll let the Braves go without having a meeting and at least trying to get them to reconsider.

GrumpyFan

I just read a report elsewhere that mentioned Disney had quietly purchased an additional 3000 acres out that way, North and West of Flamingo Crossing. Can anyone confirm this?

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
I just read a report elsewhere that mentioned Disney had quietly purchased an additional 3000 acres out that way, North and West of Flamingo Crossing. Can anyone confirm this?

Yes, I saw this in an article on Screamscape and it seems to a jumbling of the facts that came from a South Florida Water Management permit that I posted about here back in August. The 3000 acre parcel of land being purchased is in southern Osceola/northern Polk counties and is going to be used for conservation and to offset wet-land impacts that might happen in the current WDW property. There is 578 acre parcel of land just west of Flamingo Crossing that was recently added to RCID's master water management plan, but this land has been owned by Disney since 1993.

Screamscape is trying to use this as evidence that a 5th gate might be built on that land but I don't see why Disney would have allowed the construction of 2 low end 3rd party hotels at Flamingo Crossing if they planned to build a 5th gate right next to it.

GrumpyFan

Yes, I saw this in an article on Screamscape and it seems to a jumbling of the facts that came from a South Florida Water Management permit that I posted about here back in August. The 3000 acre parcel of land being purchased is in southern Osceola/northern Polk counties and is going to be used for conservation and to offset wet-land impacts that might happen in the current WDW property. There is 578 acre parcel of land just west of Flamingo Crossing that was recently added to RCID's master water management plan, but this land has been owned by Disney since 1993.

Screamscape is trying to use this as evidence that a 5th gate might be built on that land but I don't see why Disney would have allowed the construction of 2 low end 3rd party hotels at Flamingo Crossing if they planned to build a 5th gate right next to it.

I intentionally left out where I saw this, and the mention of the 5th gate, just because it tends to stir things up a bit, and it sounded highly suspect. I did some research myself on RCID's site, and looked at their land use plans for 2020, and confirm much of what you're saying. The added land looks to be allocated as "Resource Management/Recreation", and not "Undeveloped". Of course, it's possible this could change, but I just don't see a 5th gate as reasonable, and like you I don't see the logic in building another gate right next to a bunch of 3rd party hotels. It's possible this could be used for something else, but I definitely don't see another gate being added here.

Texas84

The Braves don't want to leave but other teams are moving. So they are looking at options for travel reasons. Nothing against WWoS at all.

jt04

Doubting a 5th gate too. Unless something on the scale of PI or WWoS or a waterpark is being considered. Some might consider those 5th gates of sorts.

One thing I have always thought they might do is a new Championship golf course to replace the Palm or Magnolia. Then the land closer to the MK could be developed in the distant future. Just a complete guess. Would not surprise me though.

Next Big Thing

The Braves don't want to leave but other teams are moving. So they are looking at options for travel reasons. Nothing against WWoS at all.
Oh no one was saying it was something against WWOS... most spring training teams are in southern florida so it makes sense. I'll miss it when it goes though.

Next Big Thing

Also, just had this thought: if the Braves are going to leave WDW, their most likely new home is a new stadium that is being proposed to be built in a growing suburb north of Tampa (Wesley Chapel). There's an entire sports complex being planned to go in. Would be ideal in terms of moving closer to the competition (and getting a new stadium to boot).

GrumpyFan

Wow! That was quick! I guess it just took somebody big like Marriott to jump in.
However, reading thru the article, it sounds like it's the same developer who's building the first two. I'm guessing he's paid a substantial amount of money to Disney to try and lock up this area for his properties. I don't like the sound of this. He's betting big here on this being a success, and if it isn't, he'll go bankrupt and it will sit idle for another couple of years. Go big or go home I guess. We'll just have to wait and see.

WDWtraveler

Construction update on first two Marriott hotels being built at Flamingo Crossing. Photos as of Friday, Oct 17, 2014.

IMG_3155.JPG

IMG_3156.JPG

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster

I have now seen this original article repeated on two other sites and it appears neither bothered to fact check the original article even though their information came from public records that everyone has access to. I actually contacted Screamscape about this but they don't seem to have verified their facts, and I posted a response to one of the other article but my comment never got posted.

GrumpyFan

I have now seen this original article repeated on two other sites and it appears neither bothered to fact check the original article even though their information came from public records that everyone has access to. I actually contacted Screamscape about this but they don't seem to have verified their facts, and I posted a response to one of the other article but my comment never got posted.

I noticed that as well. Seems one site latched on to it and others just ran with it repeating the same nonsense.
As exciting as it would be to see Disney build another park at WDW, I just can't see it happening in the near future, and certainly not in the area mentioned.

CSUFSteve

This was the Sentinel's writeup. The info here seemed plausible, in stating that the 350 acres were non-contiguous and therefore likely to be used for infrastructure or existing Park expansion. I think it says, or my assumption was, that the real wetland offset is development of existing interior acreage, versus newly acquired. Or are those sites in red specifically the parcels Disney is asking for permission to develop?

Forgive me, I try to keep up with FL news, but it not being my "home Resort" and all...

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/os-disney-mira-lago-20141108-story.html#lightbox=81915798
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/os-disney-mira-lago-20141108-story.html

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
This was the Sentinel's writeup. The info here seemed plausible, in stating that the 350 acres were non-contiguous and therefore likely to be used for infrastructure or existing Park expansion. I think it says, or my assumption was, that the real wetland offset is development of existing interior acreage, versus newly acquired. Or are those sites in red specifically the parcels Disney is asking for permission to develop?

Forgive me, I try to keep up with FL news, but it not being my "home Resort" and all...

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/os-disney-mira-lago-20141108-story.html#lightbox=81915798
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/os-disney-mira-lago-20141108-story.html

I can't access the article, but it sounds like it is more accurate then some of the articles posted on Disney sites.

The red parcels are land that Disney already owns but that they now want to include in the overall Reedy Creek water management plan. Disney has not asked for permission to develop any specific pieces of land. One of the things they are requesting in a recent permit filed with the South Florida Water Management District is permission to NOT specify ahead of time what land they want to develop but instead to wait until each project is ready to be permitted.

mm121

Wow! That was quick! I guess it just took somebody big like Marriott to jump in.
However, reading thru the article, it sounds like it's the same developer who's building the first two. I'm guessing he's paid a substantial amount of money to Disney to try and lock up this area for his properties. I don't like the sound of this. He's betting big here on this being a success, and if it isn't, he'll go bankrupt and it will sit idle for another couple of years. Go big or go home I guess. We'll just have to wait and see.

Construction update on first two Marriott hotels being built at Flamingo Crossing. Photos as of Friday, Oct 17, 2014.

View attachment 70393

View attachment 70394

yay for NOTHING SPECIAL hotels wasting disney property.

CDavid

Granted, I too would prefer to see Disney itself build something truly innovative and an experience unique to Disney Parks & Resorts, but in principle this is essentially just another Hotel Plaza. At least depending on what is actually built from developers other than these two hotels, that is, which will be the really interesting question. You can only partially blame the economy for Flamingo Crossings' failure to date.

Jon81uk

Screamscape now seem to think that the area that might be a 5th park is actually going to be College Program housing.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
Screamscape now seem to think that the area that might be a 5th park is actually going to be College Program housing.

Again, Screamscape can't get their facts straight...

" Previously we were led to believe that the new chunk of property added near Flamingo Crossings, might be for a 5th theme park. The latest rumor sent in from an anonymous source however claims that the property’s true intention may be closer to what it was already zoned for by the previous developer"

The chuck of property near Flamingo Crossing has been owned by Disney since the early 90's and as far as I know there were never plans to build there. In the RCID master plan it's designated for Resource Management/Recreation. The Mira Lago plot that is being bought for conservation purposes (and it no where near the parks) was originally going to be developed as housing. So again, I think they are mixing up their facts.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom