Guide to DLR for WDW Veterans!

GiveMeTheMusic

Original Poster
Is there a difference in viewing sections between dinner packages for WOC than just getting a FP for it?

Yes. Dining package folks have dead center viewing, but I honestly don't find it super advantageous. It's hard to have a bad seat in the WOC viewing area. The biggest advantage to the dining package is less people in your viewing area and freedom to show up a little later (as opposed to 90 minutes prior to showtime)

Cosmic Commando

Is there a difference in viewing sections between dinner packages for WOC than just getting a FP for it?
Technically? Yes. Realistically? No. You'll be in basically the same area and you'll still need to line up early if you don't want twenty people in front of you, even with the dining package.

LWB

Thankful for all of this info for us WDW people! We are headed out west in November ... Very excited about visiting Disneyland, but I have to admit it's such a strange feeling knowing that I am less than 180 days from leaving and don't have a single dining reservation!

GiveMeTheMusic

Original Poster
Thankful for all of this info for us WDW people! We are headed out west in November ... Very excited about visiting Disneyland, but I have to admit it's such a strange feeling knowing that I am less than 180 days from leaving and don't have a single dining reservation!

It's so freeing! No spreadsheets necessary! ;)

Figments Friend

Embrace that feeling and rejoice!
This is just ONE of the many aspects of visiting Disneyland that makes it a better experience for many WDW Veterans.

:)

stillgoofy

We are WDW veterans and flew from Boston to Lax in September for 7 day stay at the Grand Californian. We spent 6 days park hopping and one day at Laguna beach.
We used the bus service to and from the airport and rented a car for the day trip at Alamo in DTD.we went to WOC and Fantasmic.i liked the F show at DLR better than DHS.we did just about every thing but BTMRR as it was still closed!
We have been DVC members since 2000,go to WDW 2 x a year, have been on 7 DLC and going to Cali was way out of our comfort zone.

If that was the list of closures when we were going I would probably had rescheduled JMHO after being there.
How did you get 6-day ticket? Did you but a 5-day and then another single day or do you have APs?

seahawk7

Congrats on a great thread! I grew up going to Disneyland and still go every year for the Halloween party. I go every summer to WDW for the last nine years, but there is something very special about Disneyland. You can feel Walt Disney there. Fantasmic is definitely different, I won't say better, but more intimate. Anyone complaining of crowds at WDW should go to Disneyland to appreciate the space and better crowd control in Florida. To me, to really appreciate what WDW has to offer, one must experience Disneyland to see what Walt felt he could improve on with more space and control of outside businesses. And Pirates, Space Mountain, and Splash Mountain are much more detailed. Thank you guys for giving a great overview!

RMichael21

So, I'm going in 2 weeks, is there anything that anyone would like to tell me about tips and tricks to the trade that haven't been mentioned?

My Very First Trip to The Disneyland Resort!  

Figments Friend

So, I'm going in 2 weeks, is there anything that anyone would like to tell me about tips and tricks to the trade that haven't been mentioned?

My Very First Trip to The Disneyland Resort!  

First and foremost, resist the urge to 'compare' what you might already be familiar with at WDW to what you are about to experience at Disneyland.
A lot of WDW vets make that mistake and come away missing some of the true magic to be had at DL.
The two properties are very different in many aspects, but at the same time, similar in some.

Keep an open mind...and let the day flow.
Resist the urge you might feel to become too engrossed in trying to 'plan your day'. At DL, the less planning the better in some respects.

Walk in, enjoy the scenery, sit on a bench once in a while..and breath.
Soak up the atmosphere between your intervals of riding rides and experiencing Attractions.
That is really the key to thoroughly enjoying a visit....savoring the moments you will experience.

In my personal opinion, the 'must do' experiences at DL proper are -

'Indiana Jones Adventure' - non-FastPass'ed if it is your first ride. The queue is half of the ride..and a MUST experience. Use FP for your next ride!!

'Splash Mountain' - A must for WDW vets because of the real differences between the Attractions on either coast. Also, nice to see the 'original' !

'Matterhorn Bobsleds' - A unique and themed experience only to be had at DL. A must ride for sure....just bring padding for your lower back..ouch!

'Pirates of the Caribbean' - A awesome unique experience that only the 'original' can deliver. Longer, more detailed, and lots of additional eye candy to behold.

Viewing a later showing of DL's 'Fantasmic' - Seeing Maleficent turn into a REAL bonified lifesized fire breathing dragon is a great experience to behold. Very different from WDWs version of the Show.

Catch a showing of 'Mickey & The Magical Map' over at the Fantasyland Theatre. Well worth a viewing, as it has some neat dance segments and effects.

For California Adventure, i recommend the obvious choices -

Carsland in general. Some great themed areas here.
'Radiator Springs Racers' is a must ride experience while at DLR.

'Grizzly River Run' - a fun white-water rafting experience that has some nice theming. You WILL get wet...likely soaked so....be prepared!

Hope you have a fabulous time exploring the Parks on your own, and making your own little discoveries.

RMichael21

First and foremost, resist the urge to 'compare' what you might already be familiar with at WDW to what you are about to experience at Disneyland.
A lot of WDW vets make that mistake and come away missing some of the true magic to be had at DL.
The two properties are very different in many aspects, but at the same time, similar in some.

Keep an open mind...and let the day flow.
Resist the urge you might feel to become too engrossed in trying to 'plan your day'. At DL, the less planning the better in some respects.

Walk in, enjoy the scenery, sit on a bench once in a while..and breath.
Soak up the atmosphere between your intervals of riding rides and experiencing Attractions.
That is really the key to thoroughly enjoying a visit....savoring the moments you will experience.

In my personal opinion, the 'must do' experiences at DL proper are -

'Indiana Jones Adventure' - non-FastPass'ed if it is your first ride. The queue is half of the ride..and a MUST experience. Use FP for your next ride!!

'Splash Mountain' - A must for WDW vets because of the real differences between the Attractions on either coast. Also, nice to see the 'original' !

'Matterhorn Bobsleds' - A unique and themed experience only to be had at DL. A must ride for sure....just bring padding for your lower back..ouch!

'Pirates of the Caribbean' - A awesome unique experience that only the 'original' can deliver. Longer, more detailed, and lots of additional eye candy to behold.

Viewing a later showing of DL's 'Fantasmic' - Seeing Maleficent turn into a REAL bonified lifesized fire breathing dragon is a great experience to behold. Very different from WDWs version of the Show.

Catch a showing of 'Mickey & The Magical Map' over at the Fantasyland Theatre. Well worth a viewing, as it has some neat dance segments and effects.

For California Adventure, i recommend the obvious choices -

Carsland in general. Some great themed areas here.
'Radiator Springs Racers' is a must ride experience while at DLR.

'Grizzly River Run' - a fun white-water rafting experience that has some nice theming. You WILL get wet...likely soaked so....be prepared!

Hope you have a fabulous time exploring the Parks on your own, and making your own little discoveries.
Thanks! :)

RMichael21

For how long and where are you staying? Do you have park hoppers?
We are going from July 6th through 13th and staying at Marriott Suites Anaheim. We are going to the parks on the 7th, 9th, 10th and 11th. We have park hoppers and are doing DL on the 7th and 11th and DCA on the 9th and 10th. We are going to tour Los Angeles on the 12th and go to a local water park (maybe) on the 8th.

My First Disneyland Resort Trip is almost here!  

Californian Elitist

Californian Elitist

Just wanted to say THANK YOU to all the DL vets for your knowledge and advice in this thread.

We returned home yesterday and DL/DCA was awesome. Due to living in PA, we favor WDW. It was wonderful to shake off those stupid SillyBands and just enjoy Disney for what it is- an amusement park.

I envy you locals, lol.

Make sure to visit us again.:)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom